BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Koni Yellow Struts y'day and when i opened the box this is what i found.

It looks like Tirerack didnt even bother to pack these properly. The 2 struts werent even wrapped- just metal on metal- and the box is coming apart. I know these werent damaged during shipping because the exterior box is fine. I cant believe the Tirerack would send something out like this. I hope its just cosmetic. Really annoyed.

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Cosmetic or not, that's unacceptable. I would send all those photos to TR customer svc and demand they reship, expedite new order (on them) and send a paid return shipping label. Good luck

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
My ground control coilovers came in similar condition.. whatever they'll be dirty as sh!t soon after they go on

Reactions: MikeyMike

·
Registered
647 Posts
My ground control coilovers came in similar condition.. whatever they'll be dirty as sh!t soon after they go on
My last set of brand new Koni Yellows (installed on a Honda) got chipped the minute installed on the car. Oh well!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Have been a Tire Rack customer for 8+ yrs, never had a problem returning a product that came damaged/defective. You should call to explain the situation, ask for a refund or replacement. It may have been roughed up by the shipping company. TR should have shipping insurance that covers these.

·
Registered
848 Posts
While i can understand being a little upset calling this unacceptable or even thinking of returning them and asking for a new set is ridiculous. Sometimes people take things way too far. They will get scratched more then that during install not to mention how they will look after a year of normal driving. Unless your car is a show car or you wash the undercarriage with a toothbrush (which i do and still wouldn't be that upset about these shocks) i dont see the problem. If you bought a new set of tires that touched the ground before getting mounted on your car would you ask for a new set?

·
Registered
273 Posts
It must be the entire shipment from Koni that has the damaged packaging. I received a set of Koni struts this week in similar condition as the OP. The outside box looked fine and the Koni boxes looked beat, and this was from shox.com, not from Tire Rack.

Oh well, I'm hopeful that the performance of the Konis once installed will outweigh the cosmetic packaging defects...

So, I'm not worried about the packaging myself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think it is the design of the box that don't hold up from Koni -I got my shocks same fashion. Lukely mines was box up in a bigger box to prevent further damage.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Emoticons in the title are always a harbinger of some laughs.

A naturally OCD bunch, the average aftermarket customer is a nightmare to deal with (lol). However, you can understand when a proud owner who prides himself on keeping his car flawless and pays good money for a product gets angry when he sees his new toys show up with dings and scratches. Additionally, for those not exactly sure about the science behind the parts, it's understandable that they might be concerned said parts sustained some sort of impact that would throw off the performance. A lot of us like to fancy our cars and their parts so finely-tuned that a part dampering a bouncing 4,000 pound piece of metal that some clanking during shipment will cost them that sweet spot on turn-in...myself included. I like to pretend my M5's engine was as precisely engineered and as delicately assembled as a perpetual motion Atmos clock. He couldn't know it was a Koni issue.

The great thing about a company like Tire Rack is they have the capacity to swap him for a prettier one without batting a lid if that's what he wants. NBD.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I see this kind of thing all the time. If you decide to get another set they will probably be in similiar condition. What will happen to the set you send back? They will just be sold to someone else down the road until they find an owner who doesn't care about a few scraches.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This reminds of the airport baggage handlers. Maybe the tirerack hired a few of these guys! :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sometimes people take things way too far. . . . If you bought a new set of tires that touched the ground before getting mounted on your car would you ask for a new set?
Disagree. I doubt many would be satisfied with receiving a shipment like that from a private party. Why would that be acceptable from a company like TireRack? It's not and it is well within the buyer's right to request a replacement. It is not taking things too far. If the buyer was asking additional compensation, then you *might* be able to suggest that. Asking for a purchased product to be shipped undamaged is not unreasonable regardless if what might happen during installation.

As for your tire example, the difference would not be if they touched the ground, but seeing gouges and deformities in the tire that could have been caused during shipment. Would you still install the tire? If so, that's your choice. But someone else asking for a undamaged tire would not be "unreasonable."

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Send TireRack the pictures and ask that they send you a new set. This would be the equivalent of receivig a scratched up laptop fom Dell, a dinged or scratched up 50 inch flt screen TV from Best Buy, or dinged and scratched up rims from any wheel company. Yeah, the springs might get dirty and scratched up during installation but that's probably because of you're own doing and that'd be ok (at least for me). It's about receiving a nice quality product from a self-proclaimed quality company.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Disagree. I doubt many would be satisfied with receiving a shipment like that from a private party. Why would that be acceptable from a company like TireRack? It's not and it is well within the buyer's right to request a replacement. It is not taking things too far. If the buyer was asking additional compensation, then you *might* be able to suggest that. Asking for a purchased product to be shipped undamaged is not unreasonable regardless if what might happen during installation.

As for your tire example, the difference would not be if they touched the ground, but seeing gouges and deformities in the tire that could have been caused during shipment. Would you still install the tire? If so, that's your choice. But someone else asking for a undamaged tire would not be "unreasonable."
Wait a minute the tire analogy you're trying to make makes no sense. The tire you're describing sounds dangerous and not safe. The shocks in question here have nothing more then superficial scratches. And i said it before and ill say it again most shops or installers will scratch them more then that during installation.

I also don't see how shocks can be compared to TVs, laptops or wheels. All of these you stare at constantly and can easily see if they are damaged. The shocks you'll never see (wait I'm not done and thats not why its acceptable for them to be a little scratched) and because of the location they will constantly get pounded by road debris and whatnot.

This is getting a little crazy but what I'm saying is unless you're the kind of person that when washing/detailing your car you take off your wheels to wash then and wax, and also degrease, clean and detail your undercarriage i don't see why a few scratches is a big deal when in a few months the shocks will most likely look twice as bad.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had the exact same experience. I jumped at the sale on Koni's from TireRack and the rear shocks were badly scraped. I installed them and they work fine, but it is unfortunate that they are being shipped so carelessly.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My Koni struts were badly stratched up when i got them just like the OPs. I ordered them from another source (not tirerack). The struts are heavy and the koni packaging to begin with is a joke. I think the issue is probably with the inadequate packaging supplied by Koni.. If it makes OP happy, return and have them ship you new struts but chances are the new struts may look just the same.. I have my Konis on now for close to 2 yrs and i still chuckle when i think of packaging them came in.. they are darker than a hellhole now and i can barely see the yellow color. Even the Dinan springs i installed same time look properly used now.. color is almost unrecognizable..

for a part that will see lots of dirt, debris as the years go by, a little superficial scratch is not a big issue (IMHO).. I would be more concerned the working condition of Struts. Koni yellows are rock solid and hard to beat for price and durability..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts