BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear universal joint (X-joint to some) on my tailshaft, the one that attaches to the differential has 'play' which is noticable on acceleration etc.
Our friendly 'BMW' agency parts section notes that only the 'complete assembly' which is the complete tailshaft, is available, and there are no parts numbers for the individual items of the unit.
Has anyone replaced just the universal joints in the tailshaft assembly and the center carrier bearing?
There must be a replacement item for the universal joints, but finding a manufacturer with the correct specs can be difficult!.
I would appreciate any assistance, preferably a manufacturer and part number if that is not asking too much.
By the way, the complete tailshaft assembly was quoted to me which is equivalent to: USD$978 / PoundsStg:510 (at current exchange rates).
I'll check back tomorrow for responses
cheers,
:confused2

·
Registered
132 Posts
Are you talking about the CV(constant velocity) joint that bolts up to the input flange of the differential or the Universal joint in the middle of the shaft in front of the center bearing?? If you are talking about the CV joint mounted to the diff. flange, that part is individually replacable - p/n 26 11 1 229 075 - and cost approx. $160 USD from a stealer.......or less if you look around on many different online parts distributors......
If you are talking about the center universal joint, your only choices would be either a new complete shaft(or one from a wreck) or to send it out to a local driveshaft rebuilder who will replace that center universal joint with either a joint with an external lube fitting(not recommended since you will never be able to access it again after installation and the bearings are usually less reliable) or with a new sealed universal joint - pricing unknown......I have not done it yet.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am talking about the rear section that bolts up to the differential.

Thank you for the part number -- I wonder why it is not listed on the 'stealer's' parts screen?

I'll go visit to see if they have it, and fof how much, the I will try a few of the other suppliers of BMW parts.

At the moment the only excess play seems to be this rear joint, so lets hope it can be repaired without having to get the complete assembly.

cheers,
:typing:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Further to my problem................it seems I have been given some 'not-quite-accurate' information by a couple of garage/repairer's who actually have had NO experience with E34 M5's and grouped BMW's into one package.

After a good conversation with the local BMW agency Service Manager, I have been re-assured that the Tailshaft (Driveshaft) rear CV joint for the E34 M5 is replaceable - without any need for heating, welding or pressing.

The part number given is the same:26111229075, plus the CV joint Lubricant tube : 07551225051 (neither part is 'in stock' at the moment) so I will go and search for these parts and fix my problem.

cheers all, :byee55amg

·
Registered
970 Posts
Not sure if you have checked this website out, but here is an expanded view of the drive shaft components: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC92&mospid=47387&prod=19920900&btnr=26_0042&hg=26&fg=10&hl=26&PHPSESSID=3dbbeb3f7f271c0bbb5b8cf882542e26

And some useful 'how to' information here: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Transmission/CenterBearing.htm

UltimateM said:
Further to my problem................it seems I have been given some 'not-quite-accurate' information by a couple of garage/repairer's who actually have had NO experience with E34 M5's and grouped BMW's into one package.

After a good conversation with the local BMW agency Service Manager, I have been re-assured that the Tailshaft (Driveshaft) rear CV joint for the E34 M5 is replaceable - without any need for heating, welding or pressing.

The part number given is the same:26111229075, plus the CV joint Lubricant tube : 07551225051 (neither part is 'in stock' at the moment) so I will go and search for these parts and fix my problem.

cheers all, :byee55amg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 'Yewcorner',

I have been to 'realoem.com' = very useful site, so I have added it to my 'favorites'.

Also just been to 'bmwe34.net' to the how to section = excellent tech advice there!.

I am sourcing the necessary parts this week, so will attempt the repair in a couple of weekend's time.

cheers,

yewcorner said:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts