BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My taillights suddenly stopped working. Brake lights, reverse light all work but not the running lights or the rear directional signal lights. Checked bulbs, all good even though I figured for both to go out it had to be a fuse or relay.

Have gone through all the various fuse boxes and list of devices each fuse corresponds to, but NO WHERE is there any mention of a fuse for taillights.

Also searched the internet and various boards... NADA
Called my mechanic and he said drop car off which I'll do as my penultimate resort. Called BMW, they also said drop car off which would be my last resort.

Anybody out there that can help?
Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think your Lighting Control Module (LCM) has experienced a failure. @Clemster or @mishkinm5 should have a good replacement, and may even be able to code it to your vehicle.
Hey- Thank you! I found one on Ebay for $60. Is this a plug and play kinda fix or do I have to take to be physically coded after it's been plugged in? Speaking of which, where exactly do they hide the LCM in my M5?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey- Thank you! I found one on Ebay for $60. Is this a plug and play kinda fix or do I have to take to be physically coded after it's been plugged in? Speaking of which, where exactly do they hide the LCM in my M5?
You will have to code it to your vehicle. I believe the LCM requires the VIN of the vehicle to work. It's been a while since I've done this. You'll need a working laptop running XP, I think, and an application -- bmw scanner 1.4.

·
Registered
2002 Titanium Gray/Caramel M5
74 Posts
The LCM is located under the glove compartment, in the right passenger foot well wall. It is to the right of the carpet, fastened on the low side with a bolt, and clipped in the top. To access this module, remove the kick panel under the glove box and peel the carpet to the right of the foot well down.

Coding it before install is recommended, if it's not coded to your VIN it will produce a tamper dot on your cluster.
If you wanted to upgrade to LCM-4 and do auto headlights, this would be a good time.

·
Registered
09/25/00
786 Posts
Help! My taillights suddenly stopped working. Brake lights, reverse light all work but not the running lights or the rear directional signal lights. Checked bulbs, all good even though I figured for both to go out it had to be a fuse or relay.

Have gone through all the various fuse boxes and list of devices each fuse corresponds to, but NO WHERE is there any mention of a fuse for taillights.

Also searched the internet and various boards... NADA
Called my mechanic and he said drop car off which I'll do as my penultimate resort. Called BMW, they also said drop car off which would be my last resort.

Anybody out there that can help?
Thanks
I might have spare lcm if needed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts