BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I am in the process of buying a M6 Coupe 2009 and the seller posted pictures. On one picture (engine off) I see the tachometer with the yellow zone around 8 and red from 9, and on another picture (when the engine is on) I see the yellow zone around 7, orange from about 8.3 to 9 and then red from 9.

My question is, does these zones on the tachometer change when you start the engine, based on the setting (normal, sport, M sport)?

Does any know?

Hope for some solid answers! ps i have the pictures if you want to see them

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok great. So not related to the setting but engine temperature, that makes sense! Thank you for the answer!!! going to proceed with the buy, hopefully will have the car in a couple of weeks. Cant wait.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Np! Make sure to get the car checked out from a shop just in case before pulling the trigger. Enjoy the car man it's a beast and one of the most fun things to drive. There's a bit of a learning curve with the SMG but don't let it discourage you, once you get the hang of it it's tolerable. Post pictures when you get a chance and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok perfect. Yeah already got a full check by the local BMW and called them to verify. going to pull the trigger and definitely will post some pics. So looking forward to it! Read about the gear box indeed. What was the most important take away for you in regards to this? To get the settings right? Or just to get used to the feel? Have you tried the 'launch' option?

(sorry too many questions, too enthusiastic :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's less about the settings and more getting used to the "lag/deadspace" when you come to a stop. If you jump on the gas while slowing down you'll have it jerk a little in the first 2 gears. Try to do less rolling stops and more full stops, I found that helps a lot and makes the drive smoother. You'll see in the first 10 minutes that this tranny was meant for a track and not the road. The drive mode isn't all that bad either. Overal just getting used to the feel will take a couple of weeks of continuous driving. I have used the launch control once. Mine is an NA model so the revs stop at 1.5-2 as compared to I believe 4-5 in Euro. It absolutely kills the clutch so don't do it often. I've only done it once personally just to make sure it worked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts