BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reprogramming the car after the SS header install. It seems that there is a 200-300 lag in rpm indicated on the tach as opposed to actual. Is this similar to others experiences? For those who have modified their cars, have you exceeded the Dinan recommended of 7300 and if so, any mods to compensate? If you want to PM instead of post with rpm limits (spys are everywhere! hiha ), please do so. All imput is appreciated.
Regards,
Jerry

·
10,455 Posts
While i wouldn't have any experience in accelerating that quickly, i do remember reading in one of the magazines that steve dinan said the tach lags in first and second gear by several hundred rpm. The tach can keep up with the engine in third.
Mike

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I only see significant lag in 1st gear at WOT. The tach needle damping causes it to lag behind actual engine speed resulting in hitting the rev limiter well below an indicated 7k (usually around 6400-6500); i.e. it appears to be about 500rpm behind at the top of 1st gear. In 2nd gear and above, the rate of change is lower such that it appears to keep up fine.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Jerry,

I think you just might have to buy an after market (more precise?) tach. And of course you would have to mount it up on your dash, to the right, so you could be watching it at all times!!

Yet another possible mod for you? hiha

Anita

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anita said:
Jerry,

I think you just might have to buy an after market (more precise?) tach. And of course you would have to mount it up on your dash, to the right, so you could be watching it at all times!!

Yet another possible mod for you? hiha

Anita
Anita
Now you know better than that, we are into stealth mode. Beside, what would you say if I told you I have this slammed Honda Civic with colored washer jets, underbody lights, fake spoiler and 12 inch wheels that stick out 5 inches past the fender with a straight pipe, 4 inch mufflers and 12000 rpm tach to keep tabs on everything ...so I already have the "other" kind of vehicle you apparently have a secret lust for............. cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CSBM5 said:
I only see significant lag in 1st gear at WOT. The tach needle damping causes it to lag behind actual engine speed resulting in hitting the rev limiter well below an indicated 7k (usually around 6400-6500); i.e. it appears to be about 500rpm behind at the top of 1st gear. In 2nd gear and above, the rate of change is lower such that it appears to keep up fine.
CSBM5 and mottati
I noticed the discrepancy in 2nd, it is about 200 rpm behind actual speed. I noticed when the rev limiter unexpectedly cut in. Since it seems like it is not unusual, I will just make the mental adustment. Thanks for the data points.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts