BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
Can't go wrong with either one. I personally have used them both. More recently, I've tacked to using the Turner monoballs because one can order them already installed in new arms, so if you are going to be replacing the arm anyway, it saves time.

--Peter

·
Registered
09/25/00
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't go wrong with either one. I personally have used them both. More recently, I've tacked to using the Turner monoballs because one can order them already installed in new arms, so if you are going to be replacing the arm anyway, it saves time.

--Peter
Thank you, Peter. It seem both companies offer preinstalled bushings, fyi. Do you know how they would compare to something like I have on right now which are the Polyurethane Front control Arm Bushing ? I am mostly curious about NVH and if these would be harsher than the poly. In addition, anything available on the market for the big arms in the rear? I plan on replacing my diff bushing as Im getting decent thump when getting off and on throttle.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
Thank you, Peter. It seem both companies offer preinstalled bushings, fyi. Do you know how they would compare to something like I have on right now which are the Polyurethane Front control Arm Bushing ? I am mostly curious about NVH and if these would be harsher than the poly. In addition, anything available on the market for the big arms in the rear? I plan on replacing my diff bushing as Im getting decent thump when getting off and on throttle.
Nice!
Never use a poly bushing in a joint that needs to move in two different and unopposed directions. They just distort more and more and then have to be replaced. The net amount of time you end up with something superior to a stock rubber bushing is less than the time you end up with something inferior to a stock rubber bushing. So always, always go with monoballs in the thrust arms. I've never noticed any NVH difference with monoballs, but I'm not super-sensitive to that sort of thing.

Replace that front diff bushing with solid after reinforcing the mount.

Rear arms: there is a board member who has been making sealed monoballs for that location. Don't remember the board name, but search and you will find!

--Peter

·
Registered
09/25/00
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice!
Never use a poly bushing in a joint that needs to move in two different and unopposed directions. They just distort more and more and then have to be replaced. The net amount of time you end up with something superior to a stock rubber bushing is less than the time you end up with something inferior to a stock rubber bushing. So always, always go with monoballs in the thrust arms. I've never noticed any NVH difference with monoballs, but I'm not super-sensitive to that sort of thing.

Rear arms: there is a board member who has been making sealed monoballs for that location. Don't remember the board name, but search and you will find!

--Peter
I just ordered this set
Thank you again, and have a wonderful thanksgiving.

·
Registered
09/25/00
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last question I have, and I read a lot about it without a clear answer. What is the lifespan vs OE? These are not serviceable unless something has changed recently, so if one goes bad, what's the solution besides spending a chunk of $ on a replacement?

·
Registered
130 Posts
That would be the Einhorn Industries Unicorn Egg. Highly suggested.

--Peter
Kevin Sing is his name, but I don't recall his avatar either. If you're looking for monoball bushings for the rear he is the man. PM me if you'd like his contact info.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Kinkedchrome does the monoballs.

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Last question I have, and I read a lot about it without a clear answer. What is the lifespan vs OE? These are not serviceable unless something has changed recently, so if one goes bad, what's the solution besides spending a chunk of $ on a replacement?
the less than perfect the roadway the greater the increase in NVH vs. OE

I don't think any of the "sealed" designs (DINAN, Synchro, Turner, GAS) will be serviceable (removeable), they all have a large surface face that eliminated the shoulder on the control arm, and thus make it difficult to press out once installed.

Moosehead Engineering's monoball is removeable, but their design is not sealed, they point that out in the product description. As far as the life of any monoball, it always depends on your type of use and your road conditions, the nicer the road surface you drive on the longer the monoball should outlast the OE-bushing

Simply put, you'll always have to replace the control arm when the monoball has developed enough wear. Which is very different from the standard control arm with a rubber bushing. On a standard arm, you can replace the rubber bushing until the ball-end shows wear and forces you to change out the whole arm. Based on the experiences found on this forum and online, people usually managed to get x2 bushings per control arm (i.e. the original that came with the arm, plus one replacement).

as far as I can tell, only member @Fiftytwoeighty is racking up enough mileage to give some idea of the lifespan of the monoballs. I believe he has the full turner motorsports kit, but for the E60 M5.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST5
7,366 Posts
as far as I can tell, only member @Fiftytwoeighty is racking up enough mileage to give some idea of the lifespan of the monoballs. I believe he has the full turner motorsports kit, but for the E60 M5.
We are about to find out. I’m about to pull my Dinan monoballs and OEM control arms, after 9 years. Not sure how many miles, but I’m at 183,000+ miles today.

My backstory:

I was blowing through OEM LCAs every year, from tracking days at Buttonwillow and commuting from Huntington Beach to San Jose. In 2013, we switched to monoballs and haven’t looked back. A full monoball kit had not been developed at that time for the e60. After 9 years, I am just beginning to show wear in the LCA.

For reference, I’m currently on an MCS 2WNR suspension.

Beating up on a 964 turbo on slicks in my 6speed at Chuckwalla:

@CSBM5 ran Dinan monoballs on his e39 for years. Maybe Chuck will chime in too.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
@CSBM5 ran Dinan monoballs on his e39 for years. Maybe Chuck will chime in too.
Hey Woody! It sure is awesome to see and hear that S85 on track like that. It's right up there with the best sounding engines ever made imo. I still love your car and how much you've enjoyed it all these years. At least I still have it's sibling with the S65 screamer in the garage. I drove it yesterday for the first time in weeks - such an incredible car that I really don't ever want to sell it.

I ran the Dinan monoballs on my E39 M5 from 2008 until 2017. I bought these when they first came out, so they were the non-boot covered Dinan version. The car was never driven in the rain or bad weather, and I maybe put about 25k miles on them over that time. They worked great the whole time with no issues. However, coupled with the Ground Control camber plates, there was a large increase in NVH especially over high frequency inputs like Botts lane markers and such. When I replaced them with new arms/OE bushings, it was like now driving a town car or something by comparison...much quieter, smooth now over that stuff, etc. However, the precision they brought to the steering (and especially heavy trail braking/turn-in feedback) was now of course missing in action. From talking with others who just had the monoballs but OE top spring hats, it's likely the GC plates resulted in a lot of the NVH transmission since they didn't report the monoballs being that intrusive as I experienced.

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
09/25/00
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Woody! It sure is awesome to see and hear that S85 on track like that. It's right up there with the best sounding engines ever made imo. I still love your car and how much you've enjoyed it all these years. At least I still have it's sibling with the S65 screamer in the garage. I drove it yesterday for the first time in weeks - such an incredible car that I really don't ever want to sell it.

I ran the Dinan monoballs on my E39 M5 from 2008 until 2017. I bought these when they first came out, so they were the non-boot covered Dinan version. The car was never driven in the rain or bad weather, and I maybe put about 25k miles on them over that time. They worked great the whole time with no issues. However, coupled with the Ground Control camber plates, there was a large increase in NVH especially over high frequency inputs like Botts lane markers and such. When I replaced them with new arms/OE bushings, it was like now driving a town car or something by comparison...much quieter, smooth now over that stuff, etc. However, the precision they brought to the steering (and especially heavy trail braking/turn-in feedback) was now of course missing in action. From talking with others who just had the monoballs but OE top spring hats, it's likely the GC plates resulted in a lot of the NVH transmission since they didn't report the monoballs being that intrusive as I experienced.

From my experience with GC I would have to agree with the camber plates adding lots of NVH and I wouldn't go the same route again. I do want to retain most of the comfort with the m5 as I sometimes travel 1500 miles plus to different destinations all over USA.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST5
7,366 Posts
For what it’s worth, my e60 is extremely quiet on GC camber plates and monoballs. The only increase in NVH is from my chassis mount shifter — which also means my entire drive line has been updated and reinforced.

No creaks in parking lots or speed bumps. The clanking is from Einhorn track pipes, I was hauling for Jed

Dead quiet on the freeway, with an idiot deciding to bail on an exit. Pardon the rattle from my dash cam.

At 183,000 miles, 1000 mile road trips occur every Thanksgiving/Xmas/Easter, 1200 and 1400 mile road trips occur a couple times over the summer — and the wife and daughter have never complained.

The very last thing I want to drive is a “town car” when I have 200 miles of single lane twisty HWY 1, along the Pacific Ocean to Big Sur and Monterey for Thanksgiving dinner.

You will be very happy with the Turner monoballs.

·
Registered
09/25/00
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone have TQ Specks for the arms by any chance? I am redoing those two front and the two rear. I understand I don't need to preload the front with the MONOBALLS.

Thank you again! Go Team GO!

Product Font Tool Bicycle part Rim

1 - 20 of 28 Posts