BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 1999 E39 M5 and the prepurchase inspection picked up that the front swing arm bushing on the right side was worn out. I figured that it would be a simple DIY fix so I told the seller that I would take care of it.

Now that I look into repairing it of course I find out that BMW recommend replacing the entire swing arm at a cost of 450eur+, oops :)

My fault anyway so I looked into options for replacing just the swing arm bushing and came across some bushings from a company called 'Febest'. They have a set of bushings for the 6cyl cars (part numbers BMAB-010 for the rear bushing, BMAB-011 for the front), It looks like the front bushing will fit the M5.

I figured if I'm going to the effort of pulling this out then I'm going to replace both bushes and on each side but unfortunately the rear bush on the M5 is different to the 6cyl cars (14mm bolt instead of 12mm).

So I looked through the parts catalogs and found that the X53 rear swingarm bush takes a 14mm bolt and Febest have a part BMAB-002 for the X5 taking the same size bolt. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will do the job.

No idea of the quality of the parts, I can't find much information on Febest... the only alternatives I can find are Ukranian and Febest is at least a German company.

Anyway, I have to wait until the 9th before I can fit everything, in the mean time I was curious whether anyone else has any experience with this?

I would also be interested if anyone can give me the dimensions of the M5 swing arm bushings? specifically the length of the internal tube that the bolt goes through and the diameter of each bushing.

Also, as far as I can tell, BMW doesn't sell the bushes for any of their swing arms. I also read that BMW recommend replacing the bushes in the thrust arms only once due to fatigue of the aluminium during pressing. So I do wonder whether there is any issue with damaging or fatiging the swing arm by doing this.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a go. If it doesn't work out then at least I've learnt a little and I guess I'll have to buy the new swing arm.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not exactly sure what part you are talking about. Could you post a picture or a part number of the stock part?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yep, learned the same thing that BMW don't sell bushings separately for the swing arm. Your best bet is to find a low mileage whole swing control arm and replace the old one. Usually they last for a very long time. Power Flex do sell poly bushings though. You may want to check on that.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Not exactly sure what part you are talking about. Could you post a picture or a part number of the stock part?

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The bushings are the parts that bolts 9 and 11 pass through in the diagram posted by thekurgan.

There is no part number for these because BMW doesn't sell them separately.

Yep, learned the same thing that BMW don't sell bushings separately for the swing arm. Your best bet is to find a low mileage whole swing control arm and replace the old one. Usually they last for a very long time. Power Flex do sell poly bushings though. You may want to check on that.
Well the plan is to install these Febest bushings, just wondering if anyone has done this before? Are the poly bushings that you mention press fitted? and are they able to pivot freely or does the urethane need to deform in order for the arm to move?

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,688 Posts
You said the inspection indicated FRONT swingarm. There is no front swingarm. Is that a typo on your part? Or maybe what they are talking about is a front thrust arm bushing. Those are known wear items whereas the swingarm bushes are not.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You said the inspection indicated FRONT swingarm. There is no front swingarm. Is that a typo on your part? Or maybe what they are talking about is a front thrust arm bushing. Those are known wear items whereas the swingarm bushes are not.
Sorry, I meant the front inner bushing of the rear swing arm.

·
Registered
697 Posts
There was a earlier posting 1-2 years ago where someone found another supplier of OE style bushings/mounts for the rear control arms. I just checked a few suppliers but all I could discover were the poly ones.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was a earlier posting 1-2 years ago where someone found another supplier of OE style bushings/mounts for the rear control arms. I just checked a few suppliers but all I could discover were the poly ones.
I guess these might be the Febest bushings? They only have a set for the 6cyl sedans though and the rear rear swing arm bushing is different on the M5.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am going to try and replace them tomorrow. I will post results. My 01 M5 has 153K miles on the original suspension and is tired. I was going through the whole rear suspension anyways but didn't want to spend that amount of money on the swing arms. I purchased the bushings from StrongFlex, a Polish company. $125 for all four shipped.

STRONGFLEX Polyurethane Components

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm interested as well, especially in the harshness and squeak areas. These are a really high durometer rating for the street.

·
Registered
19 Posts
After examining the Strongflex bushings and the swing arm bushings, I opted not to use the Strongflex poly bushings. The main reason I did not use the Strongflex is due to the relatively small bushing wall diameter compared to the stock bushing wall diameter. The diameter difference can be easily seen in the photo below.

The bushing wall is in direct contact to the undercarriage frame and should have sufficient surface area. I felt that the thin wall of the Strongflex would not provide enough surface area to adequately anchor the bushing to the frame and most likely damage the frame mount over time.

The current condition of the swing arm bushings are "okay". Not bad enough to spend $1100 for new swing arms.

Now I am going to get the return authorization to return the Strongflex bushings back to Poland.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I seriously underestimated how long it would take to remove the swing arms so after using up half of the time I had just removing the first swing arm I conceded defeat and will get my Indy to install the bushings.. got to wait another week though unfortunately.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The FEBEST bushings were installed today and.. All I can really say is that they work because I replaced every other suspension arm on the car so it's a bit hard to attribute the improvement to a single component. The car definitely feels right now but it should since one of the bushings and one of the ball joints were in very bad condition.

I also can't speak to the quality of the parts, time will tell.

The mechanic said that it was very difficult pushing the old bushes out and he had an even harder time getting the new ones in. First he tried with the threaded rod style tool but ended up having to use the 5ton hydraulic press.

Anyway, there's an option for the M5 swing arm bushings now that doesn't require replacing the entire arm.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The FEBEST bushings were installed today and.. All I can really say is that they work because I replaced every other suspension arm on the car so it's a bit hard to attribute the improvement to a single component. The car definitely feels right now but it should since one of the bushings and one of the ball joints were in very bad condition.

I also can't speak to the quality of the parts, time will tell.

The mechanic said that it was very difficult pushing the old bushes out and he had an even harder time getting the new ones in. First he tried with the threaded rod style tool but ended up having to use the 5ton hydraulic press.

Anyway, there's an option for the M5 swing arm bushings now that doesn't require replacing the entire arm.
Are these FEBEST BMAB-011 and FEBEST BMAB-010?

As far as I can tell, all other E39 models have a bushing part available and the two I mention above are those, right? I never saw any reason they wouldn't would in the M5, even though the arm on the M5 is slightly different, the bushings seemed identical. I wonder how similar the 525/540i and M5 bushings really are. Odd to say the least.

Edit: I just looked at a diagram fro non M and it also doesn't show separate bushing parts. I could have swore I saw one with BMW part numbers for bushings on non M5 cars. But I guess not. Maybe BMW just really wants the whole arm replace when worn for safety, alignment, etc...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are these FEBEST BMAB-011 and FEBEST BMAB-010?
Not quite, the BMAB-011 and BMAB-010 are for the 6cyl cars and BMAB-010 takes an M12 bolt vs the M5's M14 bolt.

I used BMAB-011 for the forward bushing and BMAB-002 for the rear which I think comes from an X5 or E60 and is at least the correct size (and takes an M14 bolt).

I really can't say whether it's a good idea to replace these instead of the entire arm, I can only say that the bushings fit. It would be nice to know exactly why BMW didn't make the bushings individually replaceable but that we will probably never know... I can think of a lot of different reasons.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts