Chassis nr: 4340932
Colour: Articblau metallic
Engine number: 1008 B2
Acceleration: 0-100 km/t: 6,7 seconds
Top speed: 233 km/t
Power: 230 PS (169 kw) @ 6750 rpm
Engine size: 2966 cm3
Km: 62200

The ad says it needs a caring owner and a warm garage :)

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Fabulous car by the looks of it.

Didn't they all come with the f spoiler like Yannick's orange dream>?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Darn! I was in Oslo Monday and Tuesday. If only I'd known I could have gone to see it :grrrrr:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear users

This E9 B2 is as real as it gets.
I just bought this car, and I must say it`s a beauty.

For those commenting on the car I would appreciate if you could please get into the facts before getting into a discussion. Forums are like poison and treads like this are often a big part of ruining sales.

Regarding VIN: Alpina was awarded the status of an independent car manufacturer in 1983 and was registered under number 7356 with the Federal Motor Transport Authority in Flensburg. From that point on, all the it turned out carried their own Alpina VIN in place of the original BMW number.
(From "BMW Alpina" by James Taylor)
The so called "Alpina Doctor" should know this.....

When it comes to the B2 engine, only 192 was made, and it was made to fit the BMW E9. This particular car is also fitted with better brakes, suspensions interior and more.
Most important original papers (stamped by Alpina) follows the car.

By September 1972 Alpina had come up with its 230 hp B2 conversion based on the 3- litre engine.
The B2 was again a carburettor engine, intended for installation in the 3.0 CS. Like the B1 engine, it has twin Solex
40/45DDH carburettors and a 300-degree fast road camshaft. New pistons and cylinderhead work raised the compression ratio from
the factory`s 9.5:1 to 10.0:1 and the head was gas-flowed and machinedto give hemispherical combustion chambers in the usual way. With the 230hp at 6.750 rpm and 270Nm at 5.000,-rpm, the B2 was a much higher-revving engine than the standard 3-litre M30, but also delivered the goods. 0-100: 6.7 sec. Toppspeed: 235km/h (standard: 9sec and 213km/h)
Alpina records show that only 192 B2 engines were built for use in the E9 coupès before production stopped in July 1976. However, it is not clear how many of the engines that were supplied for fitting by customers and how many built into complete cars at Buchloe.

So for those who might be interested in the history of the car contact the owner (which is me), and If you want some straight answers about the E9 B2, just read "BMW Alpina" by James Taylor.

Documents will not be faxed or scanned for publication on web, for obvious reasons.

Best regards
Claus Phillip Resberg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Stunning car looks great.

Can not however understand how what you said proofs that all the others are wrong. Will be in Buchloe Wed/Thurs and will see if I can shed more light on your claims. Would be a reasonable bargain if it stands up as the real thing if not then it's still a great car and well restored and I'm sure that you will have alot of fun driving it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to know what makes it a fake? 192 engines was made for installments in the E9. This cars engine has Alpina B2 enginenr: 1008.
It`s claimed that this is not a B2 engine, but a 3,5l?? I have the original papers on the engin with stamps from Alpina.
Alpina did not have VIN numbers on their cars until 1983. So what makes this a fake, or to refrace the question what makes the BMW 3,0 SC B2 a real Alpina??
(and please read my last post before answering)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would like to know what makes it a fake? 192 engines was made for installments in the E9. This cars engine has Alpina B2 enginenr: 1008.
It`s claimed that this is not a B2 engine, but a 3,5l?? I have the original papers on the engin with stamps from Alpina.
Alpina did not have VIN numbers on their cars until 1983. So what makes this a fake, or to refrace the question what makes the BMW 3,0 SC B2 a real Alpina??
(and please read my last post before answering)
Hi, I think that you can find out alot of information about the car at Autopower.se

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I am not the ultimate judge on whether this is a genuine Alpina or not, I hope for the owner it is ... however I believe there is sufficient evidence to be very much in doubt about this car's authenticity.

I was speaking to the Swedish owner back in November 07 when the car was for sale on eBay ??????

He sent me all the documentation he had which basically consisted of a German 'Prüfbericht' issued on April 18, 1974 by TÜV in Bavaria and the Swedish registration papers. The 'Prüfbericht' is a test report which basically describes what changes are made to the German 'Fahrzeugbrief' if a car is fitted with a B2 engine. The test document does not refer to any particular car but is a generic document outlining the results of fitting such engine.

Herein lies the big problem: There is no link between the engine (#1008) and this particular car .. and since the German papers have gone missing, it is a best questionable if this car a genuine Alpina. The engine may be an Alpina engine - although there are questionmarks about the engine's authenticity also - but fitting an Alpina engine to a car doesn't make it an Alpina car!

It is true that Alpina did not exist as a car manufacturer at the time, but they did provide the owner however -- and this is key -- with a document stating that they had converted an E9 with so and so VIN number to an Alpina B2 or B3!! This document doesn't exist. Same information would also be contained in the German 'Fahrzeugbrief' which is also missing.

Other points that makes me extremely suspicious is the fact that the Swedish owner sold it at the end of 2007 for Eur 7.000. Even if Finn Car in Norway is selling this car for 44keur this is extremely cheap for a car that comes up for sale every 10-15 years!

Like I said I hope for the current owner that this is a genuine Alpina, but likewise I think it is extremely important for this community - among others - to prevent and uncover fraud with these cars.

·
Registered
113 Posts
beemerchris:

I would be great if you can post more information after the visit at Buchloe.

Thanx in advance
I agree fully with B7Turbo's last post. Was hoping that this thing does not come up again.
My repeated questions in Buchloe about the car brought nothing but grief for me.
Alpina has no record whats so ever about this car being converted as an Alpina in Buchloe, and to clarify this further, they do have some records of cars being built at that time as I found out when we needed some info on an 2002 Alpina. However cars converted by dealers or anything like this wont be on record.They refuse to make any official statement on it and my source told me in very clear terms that it is this kind of thing that makes them very frustrated as they get approached with that sort of claims all the time. Years ago it was mainly an issue with cars converted in the Uk by the likes of Sytner or J.Clarke and the od one from Europe or the USA. With the rise of prices for genuine cars this increased in accordance and because the legal implication, they now make no statement if they have no records of a vehicle.
As I said before it is a nice car and for me that's what counts I would strongly suggest to just enjoy it as it is rather then to try to proof a point that isn't proofable (spelling?). This isn't fair on the site owners who had their fair share of hassle with such issues.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
One other thing that just came to mind. The car is missing the 3 additional guages in the dashboard. I have seen Alpinas where the instruments were placed in the loudspeaker hole in the dashboard

and I have seen Alpinas where the 3 instruments were housed in 3 separate instrument houses.

I believe the dashboard fitting was in the B2 (230hp) while the last picture is from a CSL B2-S.

I have never however seen an E9 Alpina without additional instruments. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would like to revive this discussion regarding the B2 Alpina for others here familiar with the e12 of the period but perhaps not
so familiar with the Coupes, which has been the subject of much research from where I sit by other e9 aficionados.

In my opinion there is reason to believe the engine to be genuine but of course this debate is mute as I
challenge any of you to even locate say another Alpina triple plenum weber intake system, anywhere?

Alpina's efforts at the time he 'tuned' this car consisted of a sort of aftermarket kit, which as now
upgraded the engine, suspension, brakes and interior. Many have tried other triple carb mods to the
M30 without nearly the success as the Weber's are really inefficient carbs meant to be run at full throttle.
Creating a comprimise for a street car is not an easy challenge but Alpina stepped up and did quite well considering.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now that we have gotten that cleaned up (thank you Gustav)

Would anyone else care to comment on the particular Alpina elements as they were applied to the e9's?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts