BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for new sways and wanted to know everyone's opinion on this subject......I know Eibach and RD make a set for E34, but I have not seen them on any vehicles and I do not know what the differences are between the 2 bar setups........sizes, link types, adjustability, etc. Any pics of the bars on or off the car would be very helpful as well. Also, if anyone knows of other brands or setups of bars that I could use, that would be helpful as well.....thanks
:1:
NOTE: my rear self-leveling has been removed so that is not an issue.....

·
Registered
970 Posts
How about retaining your original front sway bar and replacing the rear one with the 20mm bar from the Touring, this effectively gives you the preferred soft front/hard rear setup at minimal cost and using original equipment?

M5sedan said:
I am in the market for new sways and wanted to know everyone's opinion on this subject......I know Eibach and RD make a set for E34, but I have not seen them on any vehicles and I do not know what the differences are between the 2 bar setups........sizes, link types, adjustability, etc. Any pics of the bars on or off the car would be very helpful as well. Also, if anyone knows of other brands or setups of bars that I could use, that would be helpful as well.....thanks
:1:
NOTE: my rear self-leveling has been removed so that is not an issue.....

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
BURTON said:
How much different is the Touring compared to the Normal Saloon?
I think the diameter is 1mm greater ie 19mm std vs 20mm for touring & full Nurburgring spec sedans. The stiffer bar increases roll stiffness & helps dial out the extra understeer that occurs when the wider 9 inch (255/40/17) are fitted.

Its worth having the wider roll bar if you have the wider rear wheels & tyres for sure.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
If my memory serves, the 3.6 cars had a 18mm rear sway bar as standard in all versions. (UK - known as anti-roll bar).

The 3.8 cars had a 19mm bar fitted as part of the optional Nurburgring package with the EDC-III and wider rear wheels. This applied to both the 1992-1994 cars with the 17" Throwing Stars and the later cars with the 18" M-Parallels.

The Touring had a 20mm bar as standard.

Therefore if you have a 3.6 car with the wider wheels, you may wish to install either a 19mm or 20mm bar.

If you have a 3.8 car with the wider wheels (from the factory pack rather than just added later), then you already have the 19mm bar and may wish to add the 20mm bar from the Touring if you feel the car has too much understeer for your liking.

If I recall correctly, the 20mm bar costs about £70-£100. It may be wise to change the links too as they are quite cheap.

I`ve not done it myself, but I`m pretty sure the exhaust needs lowering, but doesn`t have to be taken off, in order to fit.

Ivan.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for all the input. As I plan on doing various track days and I have adjustable Koni's with an adjustable coilover system front and rear, I was possibly looking to be able to also adjust my anti-roll bars as well so I can set up my car appropriately for each event.......which is why I was looking aftermarket and not stock replacement......although the cheaper route of the 20mm bar does sound tempting....... :hihihi:
Does anyone actually have the RD or Eibach or someone else's setup on their cars??? If so, what are your impressions......what sizes are they front and rear and are they adjustable??? Also, I think, but I am not sure that RD uses a ball joint link for the rear bar and I think Eibach uses a regular rubber dogbone like the stock links.?.?.? Anyone know for sure??? Thanks again for all your help...... :noSMG:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also found Whiteline and G-power and Susp. Techniques make bars for our cars.......does anyone have the above kits as well and are they adjustable and do they come with links and if so, what type of links are they..........relevant pricing of the kits would also be helpful....thanks again.

Does anyone know if Korman's bars are his own or some other manufacturer????

:M5thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.