BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ive been doing some research lately and thought about swapping the engine from an M5 or M6 into a 335i body, ive seen Hartge do the same thing with the E90, so I thought why not instead of picking up the M6 do this instead, will be truely Unique. Right now I am in the process of finding an engine from a crashed up 5/6, if anyone knows someone or a junk yard with one around pleae send me a pm.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I think many people are dissuaded by the complex electronic hurdles that will need to be jumped and the loss of warranty. I imagine that even an engine from a junked M5/M6 will cost a pretty penny. Are you planning on putting SMG in as well?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hey guys ive been doing some research lately and thought about swapping the engine from an M5 or M6 into a 335i body, ive seen Hartge do the same thing with the E90, so I thought why not instead of picking up the M6 do this instead, will be truely Unique. Right now I am in the process of finding an engine from a crashed up 5/6, if anyone knows someone or a junk yard with one around pleae send me a pm.
There are auctions that insurance agencies use when car are totalled. If you are serious I would call some major carriers like Allstate, Geico, Farmers etc and ask them who they use for auctioning off totalled cars.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Why not build the 335 would be MORE of a killer than putting the V10 in it...i emagine one could pull 600hp from the 6cyl with aftermarket turbos and some engine work....easy.
And why not use an Xi for even more of a killer car.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Why do something that will do nothing but soak money? Girls don't really care what's underneath the hood.

Reactions: BD 997

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'd rather just buy an m6... it looks better more comfortable and its an M6... no one will know u have a v10 engine from m5 or m6 unless u tell them... id just buy an m6 thats just my opinion

Reactions: BD 997

·
Registered
130 Posts
Why not build the 335 would be MORE of a killer than putting the V10 in it...i emagine one could pull 600hp from the 6cyl with aftermarket turbos and some engine work....easy.
And why not use an Xi for even more of a killer car.
Agreed... I would imagine putting the V10 under the hood of a E90/E92 would also require some (costly) structural modifications to accomodate the much larger engine (like moving the firewall for one).

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think many people are dissuaded by the complex electronic hurdles that will need to be jumped and the loss of warranty. I imagine that even an engine from a junked M5/M6 will cost a pretty penny. Are you planning on putting SMG in as well?
ofcourse the SMG will also be put in with the engine

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i will keep you guys updated within the next couple days on the cost and what has to be modified to swap out the engine and the other necessary modifications, I will come up with a price and that will determine if I will go through with this or not...ill keep you guys updated

·
Registered
856 Posts
Most people I talk with about the M aren't even aware it has a V10 - just some sort of special 5 series. I kinda agree that since it's been done and while quite fast, its aerodynamics aren't as good, so top speed suffers. Now, take an M6 and strip it down to bare necessities so its light, then we're talking about a FAST M car. Saw an E46 M3 at the ring like this - totally stripped down inside and stock outside, except the plastic windows and it was passing all sorts of cars up!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
huh? from performance perspective- why even bother?

i am sure that 500+ hp from the twin turbo are very very achievable..

alex
few cars

·
Registered
370 Posts
I see it as a total waste of money... its s little less than an m6 if not the same but still not worth it

·
Registered
26 Posts
if your going to do it, might as well do it right and throw in the dinan stroker...hamann's thunder coupe was on sale for roughly 200 grand i think

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Build a KILLER 335xi for 1/2 that money........1/2 the weight it will walk all over the V-10 HANDS DOWN.

·
Registered
26 Posts
or just wait till the new Twin Turbo V8 is put into production, 400hp 450ft/lb stock and we know with the v6 that was highly under rated...and with simple flash/exhaust people are seeing 100+whp/wtq gains so it wouldnt be surprising to see the ttv8 hitting 500whp and 550wtq for very minor modifications...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yeah, if costs, actual power output and a slightly lower level of modification work is a high priority for your project then upgrading the turbos is the way to go. but if having something exceedingly rare and having every car junky literally drool when you pop the hood is the goal then v10...simple as that. Do your math and then pull the trigger. :cheers:

Be sure to keep us us updated, sounds like a cool project either way you approach it.

a0

1 - 20 of 25 Posts