BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, before I even received my car, I had ordered all the upgrades I wanted for the beast (H&R springs, 20" BBS RS-GTs, CF wheel, pedals, Hartge front lip, etc). By 300 miles, I had them all installed. (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78017)

After half a year, I've grown to love some of them, and wished I hadn't done others. Follows are a number of highly subjective observations that are mostly personal to me.

The first thing to go was the front lip. Hit curbs all the time, and a little to "boy-racer" for me in Silverstone II. I love the RS-GTs, but when running the 13mm/10mm spacer combo, no matter how much material I took off the rear inside wheel well, with 4 people, in a turn, with any bumps, the rear wheels would scrape. Also, I felt the H&R springs made the car look a little too "slammed", and I also felt ride quality was a little too choppy.

So, I just had Dinan install the new diff and exhaust, and decided to change out the H&Rs for the Dinan Stage II. I also put the 10mm spacer from the rear on the front, and ran no spacers on the rear.

What a difference! The car raised about 5/8" in the front, and about 3/8" in the rear. The ride has improved tremendously! I like the look much better than with the H&Rs. It is aggressive, but not overly dropped. With the sway bars, the car also feels much more "tossable". With the rear spacers gone, the occasional rubbing is gone too.

I'll add to the praise everyone has heaped on the diff change. It truly is like P600!

On to the Dinan exhaust. I use my car for business sometimes, so I was concerned about too much noise in the cabin. I have Eisenmann Race on my Z8, and was not looking for that much noise. The Dinan M5 exhaust is perfect for me. It definitely has a deeper growl at idle, and when you really punch it, it gets loud. However, for everyday cruising, even at highway speeds, it is just fine. You also can't beat the look of four 3" pipes out the back.

If Brembo ever ships the rear BBK for the M5, that will be my next install. Every two weeks, it slips two weeks!

Finally, for those of you waiting on the new Dinan software... I saw on another post that the release was anytime now. After talking with Dinan, it seems that they order the ROMs programmed once a month, for that months shipments. They just ordered all the ROMs for March, and there are none for the M5, which my guy told me mean't that there wouldn't be any available until the April order is received, which he felt would be around 4/10. (For what its worth)

Z8 HM

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
So you kept the 20in ch RS-GT's? with stage II Dinan you also switched the struts, right? Koni or JRZ?

Glad to hear about the improvements.

·
Registered
682 Posts
the dinan kit does not include shocks, it retains the EDC

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Z8 HM said:
I just had Dinan install the new diff and exhaust, and decided to change out the H&Rs for the Dinan Stage II. I also put the 10mm spacer from the rear on the front, and ran no spacers on the rear.
I assume you had the install performed at Dinan in Mountain View.

Those not it the Bay Area might not be aware that Dinan operates a full service BMW repair shop in Mountain View, which was their only location until they moved the headquarters 30 miles south to Morgan Hill.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can you post pics. I have yet to see a M5 with Dinan springs and 20" wheels. A side shot of the car and close up of the front wheel well would be nice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kerlyb said:
Can you post pics. I have yet to see a M5 with Dinan springs and 20" wheels. A side shot of the car and close up of the front wheel well would be nice.

I'll take a shot tonight and post!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clyde said:
I assume you had the install performed at Dinan in Mountain View.
Indeed, Dinan Mountain View did the work. When Steve and corporate headed to Morgan Hill years ago, I think the quality of work went down in the Mountain View shop, but that seems to all be fixed. They did a fantastic job and were very thorough.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Do you think the Dinan susp. kit makes the car sit too high for the 20" wheels? I too have been contemplating switching from H&R to Dinan, but am afraid it will sit too high and make the car look goofy. On the other hand, with the 21" wheels and the H&R's the car now rubs slightly with 4 people in the car...which I HATE!! Also, can you please post some pics. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts