BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
2,164 Posts
Oh and the difference between earlier (MY 05) rear upper front (toe) arms has been described here before do a a search. I think I posted pics as well. It's also described in newtis. BMW changed the seat from conical to ball shaped and increased shaft diameter for MY 06. Pretty sure all US cars need the expensive ball shaped arms.

·
Registered
709 Posts
yes its the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S not the 4AS. They really have a stupid terminology.

Bushing replacement is alot more routine in germany because TUV inspections. Any visible crack is a fail. There alot of special tool kits that make this job easier, but they tend to be more popular in europe. The germans call them silent blocks so that may help if you're looking for a special tool kit.

On the guide links, yes the bolt is a different diameter and the seat is different, I didn't know that 05 cars could use them. if that's the case then for that MY the suspension links are totally the same with the base E60. I guess that's why the application guides in german say they fit but don't. My cars are all LCI and use the more expensive link.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Tirerack has the 4S instock for this size, but I know it is end of lifed already so supply will run out at some point. Since you are in Maryland, pick these up at their warehouse in DE and pay no sales tax.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tirerack has the 4S instock for this size, but I know it is end of lifed already so supply will run out at some point. Since you are in Maryland, pick these up at their warehouse in DE and pay no sales tax.
Yeah TireRack told me they'd have more around July 4th. But I needed tires a few weeks prior and in spite of calling everywhere to see if there happened to be some in a warehouse somewhere, they just were nowhere to be found. I had a long trip coming up and really wanted the car to be right before I left. The Conti's are ok, and the reviews don't put them far behind the Michelin PS4S. In my experience, my BMWs all behaved best for my taste with the OEM tire. AFAICT the Conti was the original tire...whatever version of it existed in 03-05.

While I'm willing to resign myself to a life of hassle and expenditure by owning this car, I don't have the kind of money to arbitrarily spend another $1300 on a set of tires that might be ever so slightly better than what I have, which still have 95% of their life in front of them. If the M5 is anything like the 550i, I'll replace fronts once for every 3 times I replace the rears. At the point I need all four tires, again, maybe I'll get the Michelins (whatever version they have at that point).

Regarding the rear link, mine were about $89.00 each for Lemforder from BMA. Retail list price was $325 or so.
So my concern is...the wrong part won't fit, right? It's not that the differences are such that it can be installed but will make the suspension feel bad?

I'll do a search on it, as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Oh and the difference between earlier (MY 05) rear upper front (toe) arms has been described here before do a a search. I think I posted pics as well. It's also described in newtis. BMW changed the seat from conical to ball shaped and increased shaft diameter for MY 06. Pretty sure all US cars need the expensive ball shaped arms.
According to realoem, and at least circumstantially corroborated by FCP and BMA, the cheaper arm is good up to production date 9/06. So theoretically I'm good with what I bought.

The mechanic who's gonna do the work is really great so I'm certain he won't try to pound a square peg into a round hole.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That's kinda scary. I imagine there shouldn't be a problem since my car is a 05 build.
My concern was about the comment that, "..all US cars need the expensive ball shaped arms." From what I can glean that's not the case, but I'm gonna point it out to the mechanic before he does the work. He's WAY up on BMW minutia, so he's probably already aware of the difference.

I have to assume that the wheel carriers in my car are original.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts