BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Nurburgring pack on my car, but I am worried that some day I might have to replace them as the cost to fix will be so great.

So I am just wondering what people have on theirs if they have upgraded from stock. Also how does it compare from stock.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
You'll have to check up on this, but on www.bilstein.de they list a top-strut-mount for the e34 rear-end. The only reason I can think of that Bilstein would carry this part is to convert self-levelling/EDC cars to normal springs and struts..... 2 used front struthousings shouldn't be to hard to get hold of, and you would replace the top mounts anyway if the time for new shocks came along...

BURTON said:
I have Nurburgring pack on my car, but I am worried that some day I might have to replace them as the cost to fix will be so great.

So I am just wondering what people have on theirs if they have upgraded from stock. Also how does it compare from stock.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Both. But I'm pretty sure the springs they sell are Eibach. And back in the days before BMW started skimping on parts Bilsteins were a mandatory part of M-tech suspension......

BURTON said:
Is this something that is a shock and spring kit? Or just a OE replacement?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But I think I have cursed myself now!! It now says EDC Nicht Activ, which with my quick German to English from memory means that the EDC is now not active!!

grrrrrrr Can anyone help??? The light on the EDC control comes on when you turn the car on and then goes out!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
There could be a number of reasons why it is not working; from ABS pulse sensors/speed sensor/plug worked loose etc. etc.

It would be well worth a visit to your local BMW dealer who maybe able to diagnose your fault.

I sometimes reset mine by disconnecting both battery terminals and briefly touching them together (using a battery jump start cable) then leaving for an hour. This has resets the suspension CPU and also the engine CPU.

Also, we have a man, Garcia, who is able to rebuild the struts. He has just recently moved back to the US and will contact us when he is up an running again. Approx cost for each strut rebuild is circa £150.

I personally would only stay with the original EDC suspension, I can see no reason to change to a non adaptive set up.

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Brian

BURTON said:
But I think I have cursed myself now!! It now says EDC Nicht Activ, which with my quick German to English from memory means that the EDC is now not active!!

grrrrrrr Can anyone help??? The light on the EDC control comes on when you turn the car on and then goes out!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
yewcorner said:
I can see no reason to change to a non adaptive set up.
Not on a road M5. I can understand why many track specials have no EDC - there's no need, and it's heavy, but It would certainly harm resale for your car.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think the load that is put on the car on a Rolling Road will cause this? As this happened on the 3rd proper run! And the car did sit down on the rollers!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
BURTON said:
Do you think the load that is put on the car on a Rolling Road will cause this? As this happened on the 3rd proper run! And the car did sit down on the rollers!!
Unlikely. Imagine the severe forces it should endure flying over humpback bridges and through steep dips in the road with hard braking/acceleration!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would low tyre pressures do something also. Just checked them and the rears where about 10psi out and fronts about 5psi.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Done the ecu reset etc.. Still comes up along with the check owners manual... Looks like I will have to take her to the stealer.

edit : Tho after rereading.. I didn't leave for a hour!!! Better go and do it again!

·
Registered
970 Posts
It does have to be for around an hour.

When you reconnect the battery, you will here one 'boing' noise.

The CPU's should then be reset.

If the problem is still there then you need to go to the stealers.

With mine it was a failed left rear ABS pulse sensor. All OK afterwards.

The stealers charge around £30 inc VAT for the EDC check.

good luck

Brian

BURTON said:
Done the ecu reset etc.. Still comes up along with the check owners manual... Looks like I will have to take her to the stealer.

edit : Tho after rereading.. I didn't leave for a hour!!! Better go and do it again!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So she is booked in at the Dealer for Thursday! £30 pounds for the to have a look! Wish it was sooner!!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Without instant access to my receipts for my suspension replacement, I can check my receipts when I get home, but just looking at the amount of roll on my track day photos made me wonder...does anyone know if it is standard practice by BMW to replace the springs when the struts are replaced?

If not, then this could be a quite cheap suspension upgrade to replace very tired springs!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I don't know about BMW-UK, but I'm VERY sure BMW-NL doesn't replace them unless asked.....

Mmm-Five said:
does anyone know if it is standard practice by BMW to replace the springs when the struts are replaced?

If not, then this could be a quite cheap suspension upgrade to replace very tired springs!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
It could be of great use to me at some point in time. If you are able to send electronically, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
286bhp said:
If it is any use to anyone I have a photocopy of the wiring diagram for the EDC III + system used in the M5 3.8. ;)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
£180 later and the M is back to her old self!

The car had the following done at the dealer:

Diagnosics - Accelerator Signal fault came up.
Troubleshoot EDC
Carry out test scheduel
Carry out steering angle sensor adjustment
Clear fault codes and carry out EDC recode.

Hope that helps some people.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts