BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just instaled ground control coilovers on my car, removing EDC and SLS.... toguether with that, I changed all the bushes for powerflex ones, new rotors (OEM) and brake pads (EBC red stuff), aeroquip brake lines, new wheel bearings as well, and some other minor suspension links...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
old and new UPs.....

more coilovers pictures, I forgot to take some from the camberplate....

inferior strut bar... I bought it thinking it was for the rear... its not, its for the front.... but its better in the car than in my garage wall, hahaha

besides that, some home made highly engeniered brake ducts, hahaha, 2,5in wide pool hoses....

and my LOUD.... very LOUD straight exhaust, with an extra lambda, a wide band from AEM to monitor the health of the engine...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try them out like this firts... I think that they may melt;;; at least the part near the brake discs.... if they are ok, I will custom finish them, for sure!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Awesome Passos! Please write a nice review about it at the track.

Cheers,

·
Registered
26 Posts
pspassos, how much did the Ground Control coilovers cost and where did you get them from, might I ask? I'm thinking of getting coilovers sometime in the coming year and I'm considering these and the KW V2s.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I will try them out like this firts... I think that they may melt;;; at least the part near the brake discs.... if they are ok, I will custom finish them, for sure!
I think the cable ties will fail before the blue piping melts, they don't like movement combined with vibrations and heat...

Recommend garden wire as a replacement...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the brake ducts worked out perfectly..... so, I will make them more presentable hahaha

aout the suspension, all I have to say is that its perfect.... the car had its weight distributions arranged with me inside, 1/3 of fuel tank filled, and the diagonal are the same... front to back ins 53/47 percent, so, no complains at all.... geometry too is almost perfect... the kit I ordered was the most " extreme" one they have... sure, riding is a little bit stif.... a lot actually, comparing to original suspension, but I really dont care, if I did, I would have ordered the less agressive kits....
the stiffness of the kois are set to 3 clicks on the back and 3 or 4 on the front, doesnt remember now.... geometry is set as my will as well.... the result was tyre pressures very low in the circuit... when cold, 26psi in the front as 30 in the back?!!!! for street tires, that is very low, and thy didnt bent too much, just what they should....

Ground Control - BMW E34 Complete Coilover Kit
I bought it here, payed less, 1589 if I remember well....

Reactions: 1day

·
Registered
514 Posts
How do you do the weight distribution and overall setup of the coilovers?? I mean, how do you make sure that they are exactly the same height and stiffness, right & left and front & rear etc. Does it require special equipment or is this something I can do in my garage?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you have a four corner scale to weight the car, you can do... but its not as easy as it seems too.... raising one side doesnt only afect its weight, but all others.... so, you will hae to do it many times....

about the stifness, the koni shocks that come with the coilover set is adjustable, and I adjusted it to my own needs and feelings of the car on the street, and on the track at Interlagos Circuit....

·
Registered
570 Posts
very nice Passos, I can´t wait to have mine installed at the same shop you did! seem s that they did a good service and it´s money well spent.

congrats!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
the brake ducts worked out perfectly..... so, I will make them more presentable hahaha
Good news!

Did the brake cooling make any difference?

I wonder what the weight distribution is like on the standard car?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes, the brake cooling did a hell of a diference....

at Interlagos, my reference, after 3 hot laps, after braking hard in the main straight to dive into the "Senna S", we enter the secundary straight.... so, after 3 laps, the brakes at the end of this second straight were not as effective as before... and now, they are, on the forth, fifth too....perfect....

the reference is using OEM big brakes, but with red EBC pads....

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's ground control springs, they come with the coilovers. You only get 4 options of stiffness you desire. The shock inserts are provided by Koni I believe and are possibly custom valved for GC.

Go to the GC website and pull it up, its easy. It is just short of 2000$.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
the possible spring choices are nearly endless with the GC set up, it goes way beyond what is listed on their web site, when you call them and discuss your needs they can custom tailor spring rates. I had this on my car, 425 front, 380 rear i think (was a while ago), ended up removing it and going back to a more stock h&r bilstein combo. You remove all the rubber mounts etc and the noise and harshness was just too much for me to live with. Handled great though.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i fogot the rates, I am sorry, but they were not custom, they were the ones from the more extreme "öf the shell" option

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am going to buy a GC setup and am speaking to Jay about what spring rates to use for my needs, 85% DD and 15% track. Pretty much a weekend warrior setup.

Since your car is track duty I wanted to know what your rates were so I can get an idea of how stiff that setup is. Any feedback from you since the installation has been completed?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts