BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have knowledge of what ramafications aftermarket suspension will have on the M5's sophisticated system? With my 996TT I went from stock to Bilstein PSS9's and eventually to Motons. Each upgrade dramatically improved the performance with very little ride sacrafice. Please respond if you have valuable insight vs. an opinion only. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
I had PSS-9's on my 993. While they were great at the track, it made the car less enjoyable on the street. It it were me, I would leave the suspension stock, as you seem to already have a full race setup on your Viper.

Different strokes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
As of now Hartge is offering a lowering kit for the M5. This kit is great! This is by far the best kit that is offered in Europe for the time being. The M5 is as close to perfection as one comes, and it is very hard and expensive to improve. However, the Hartge kit gives you the edge you need! Go for it! Also try their 21" Classic II wheels and exhaust! Awsome! Tom:viking:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ranumm5 said:
As of now Hartge is offering a lowering kit for the M5. This kit is great! This is by far the best kit that is offered in Europe for the time being. The M5 is as close to perfection as one comes, and it is very hard and expensive to improve. However, the Hartge kit gives you the edge you need! Go for it! Also try their 21" Classic II wheels and exhaust! Awsome! Tom:viking:
Thanks, Does anyone else have experience with the Hartge lowering kit? The 21" wheels look great but I want to track the car a little and fear that those rubber bands will peel off at about 1G. :eek:oohhh: . Also, after hearing those Kreis-sieg exhaust clips, I might need to wait on exhaust. That kit sounds amazing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah! 21" Hartge's you do not want to track them! Stick with the 19" for that! Exhaust sound is awsome with x pipes!(Export only!). Tom:viking:

P.S. I am very biased to Hartge as they have done more than 8 cars for me. Their quality and workmanship is excellent! You drive their cars and you feeling is that this how a BMW should be like from the factory!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
481 Posts
The M5 suspensions is not perfect, it is very good but compromises have to be made for the ride comfort, ride height, etc. Some people don't care as much about these things and there will always be room to improve in the aftermarket.

The only question is will anyone develop a coilover setup considering how intertwined the suspension is with the electronics.

If it is anything like PASM on the new porsches it will be difficult to develop an aftermarket suspension other than just springs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
ranumm5 said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah! 21" Hartge's you do not want to track them! Stick with the 19" for that! Exhaust sound is awsome with x pipes!(Export only!). Tom:viking:

P.S. I am very biased to Hartge as they have done more than 8 cars for me. Their quality and workmanship is excellent! You drive their cars and you feeling is that this how a BMW should be like from the factory!
I agree 100% with you. The car is near to perfect with the Hartge setup!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Will! Glad to find you here and that you will be contributing to this board. I have read many of your posts over the years on the E46 m3 boards. I'm looking forward to your E60 project car.
Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Has anyone used the Hartge lowering springs on the OEM wheel setup? Interested to see the look and if there is any fitment problem.

Thanks,

Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
rjhoskins said:
Has anyone used the Hartge lowering springs on the OEM wheel setup? Interested to see the look and if there is any fitment problem.

Thanks,

Ryan

I used them for a while, before getting the Hartge 21" wheels. It worked very well and there were no fitment problems.

looked pretty good, but not comparable to the 21" wheels together with the lowering kit! :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Cid!

Ryan
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
146 Posts
kees said:
Hello Will. Welcome to the messageboard! :byebye:

What's the ETA for delivery of your E60 M5? How long after delivery do you expect to start testing the suspension kit?
Thanks,

My car will not be in till the second "shipment" - on or about Nov 20th.

I am planning on playing with it as soon as it gets to my shop - hopefully the weather will cooperate.

-Will
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
146 Posts
Mowblogo,

The 21" are going on for looks, I was shocked when I saw that the M5 was coming out with "only" 19's but acually since there are no track tires available for anything larger - it might actually be a good thing that 19's will fit.

-Will
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
ranumm5 said:
As of now Hartge is offering a lowering kit for the M5. This kit is great! This is by far the best kit that is offered in Europe for the time being. The M5 is as close to perfection as one comes, and it is very hard and expensive to improve. However, the Hartge kit gives you the edge you need! Go for it! Also try their 21" Classic II wheels and exhaust! Awsome! Tom:viking:
Hello Guy. Thanks for your post. I am really interested in the Hartge stuff. First I am concerned if the Hartge wheels TRULY look better than the BMW OEM wheels? As a package (Hartge wheels, springs, spoilers and exhaust) is the Hartge worth the roughly $10,000.00 premium in your opinion? Lastly, how would you prioritize their (Hartge options) value ----- meaning which would you definitely get first? I live in southern US where the roads are no where nearly as smooth as Germany, so I am concerned about ride with the 21"wheels and/or lowering springs. Your advise and recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Guy.
:byebye:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
481 Posts
willturner said:
Hi (My first post on this site),

I have a Black/Silverstone car on order, its the next TMS project car....

Soon after we take delivery, we will install :

H&R Sport Springs (they make the springs for "most" German tuners)
BBS 21" RX-2's w/ PS2's
Supersprint "race" exhaust

I will post a report on all these parts as soon as I can.

We will also dyno the car when we get it to see if the car gets "faster" as it breaks in...

Will Turner
Turner motorsport Inc
207 Elm St
Amesbury, MA 01913
978-388-7769
www.turnermotorsport.com

06 E60 (coming soon)
01 E46M3
02 Mini S
04 330ipp
04 X5 4.4
I was impressed with what you guys did with the E46 M3 (I owned one so I was interested in what you guys did) and I might go for an E60 m5. Are you going to do anything beyond the basic stuff?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
ranumm5 said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah! 21" Hartge's you do not want to track them! Stick with the 19" for that! Exhaust sound is awsome with x pipes!(Export only!). Tom:viking:

P.S. I am very biased to Hartge as they have done more than 8 cars for me. Their quality and workmanship is excellent! You drive their cars and you feeling is that this how a BMW should be like from the factory!
Hello Tom. Thanks for your post. I am really interested in the Hartge stuff. First I am concerned if the Hartge wheels TRULY look better than the BMW OEM wheels? As a package (Hartge wheels, springs, spoilers and exhaust) is the Hartge worth the roughly $10,000.00 premium in your opinion? Lastly, how would you prioritize their (Hartge options) value ----- meaning which would you definitely get first? I live in southern US where the roads are no where nearly as smooth as Germany, so I am concerned about ride with the 21"wheels and/or lowering springs. Your advise and recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Tom.
:byebye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
I agree with cidair & ranumm5, the entire Hartge kit is brilliant, keep your OEM 19's for the track with R compound tyres and put the 21's with lowering springs and export silencers or the new power pipes for the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
willturner said:
Hi (My first post on this site),

I have a Black/Silverstone car on order, its the next TMS project car....

Soon after we take delivery, we will install :

H&R Sport Springs (they make the springs for "most" German tuners)
BBS 21" RX-2's w/ PS2's
Supersprint "race" exhaust

I will post a report on all these parts as soon as I can.

We will also dyno the car when we get it to see if the car gets "faster" as it breaks in...

Will Turner
Turner motorsport Inc
207 Elm St
Amesbury, MA 01913
978-388-7769
www.turnermotorsport.com

06 E60 (coming soon)
01 E46M3
02 Mini S
04 330ipp
04 X5 4.4
Have you confirmed you can get 21" PS2's and if so, what sizes, I couldn't see anything available in 21 with correct rolling radius.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
psalm23and24 said:
Hello Tom. Thanks for your post. I am really interested in the Hartge stuff. First I am concerned if the Hartge wheels TRULY look better than the BMW OEM wheels? As a package (Hartge wheels, springs, spoilers and exhaust) is the Hartge worth the roughly $10,000.00 premium in your opinion? Lastly, how would you prioritize their (Hartge options) value ----- meaning which would you definitely get first? I live in southern US where the roads are no where nearly as smooth as Germany, so I am concerned about ride with the 21"wheels and/or lowering springs. Your advise and recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Tom.
:byebye:
HI,

I live in Norway and the roads over here are really bad. However, I've never had problem with 21" on M5 E60 or the 20" on M5 E39. I've driven on gravel roads for more than 500 km's with both cars dipping into large pot holes and encountering the occasional rock as well. Never any problems or any damage! But I have been very careful and alert! On normal roads there have never been a problem. The wheels are very comfortable and the steering response is great. Also in heavy rain and snow. I used the 20" w/ P zero's on my M5 E 39 through the whole winter season 2004/2005 and never had a problem!
The set up from Hartge is more or less perfect for the M5 - it's in harmony - every part fulfills the other! I my opinion this is how it should have been from the factory. The look of the wheels is out of this world. It looks great on the car. On a priority list I would go for wheels and lowering kit, then exhaust, and the spoilers. However, every dime of the 10 000,- for the whole thing is worth it. All the best. Tom:viking:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
ranumm5 said:
HI,

I live in Norway and the roads over here are really bad. However, I've never had problem with 21" on M5 E60 or the 20" on M5 E39. I've driven on gravel roads for more than 500 km's with both cars dipping into large pot holes and encountering the occasional rock as well. Never any problems or any damage! But I have been very careful and alert! On normal roads there have never been a problem. The wheels are very comfortable and the steering response is great. Also in heavy rain and snow. I used the 20" w/ P zero's on my M5 E 39 through the whole winter season 2004/2005 and never had a problem!
The set up from Hartge is more or less perfect for the M5 - it's in harmony - every part fulfills the other! I my opinion this is how it should have been from the factory. The look of the wheels is out of this world. It looks great on the car. On a priority list I would go for wheels and lowering kit, then exhaust, and the spoilers. However, every dime of the 10 000,- for the whole thing is worth it. All the best. Tom:viking:
Thanks a lot Tom. I really appreciate your response.
:byebye:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top