-Upper thrust arms
-840i Aluminium lower arms
-Front stabilizer bar drop links
-Rear stabilizer bar drop links
-Rear Pitman arms
-750i thrust arm bushes
-Gearbox mounts
-Rubber hangers..exhaust

I went with the 840i arms due to the steel bushes that they have.....looking at the bushes the construction is far superior to the normal ones....mind you I'm no engineer but from a lay perspective they seem so.Mottati went for this option too so we can both provide documented results.

What I'd love to have enlightenment on is the issue of BMW parts and Lemforder......all the BMW parts have the Lemforder owl symbol on them...but cost almost twice as much !

Is there a significant structural difference over the BMW stamped parts ? If there is does anyone know for sure what it is ?

I've always bought Lemforder parts for my BMW's and they seemed to have done very well...sure, none of them was an M BMW that's why this time I didn't want to take any chances and subsequently emptied my pockets :1zhelp: !

Also, the rubber exhaust hangers around the cat were changed in the U.K......with BMW parts.....but didn't last 2 weeks here !

I found the rubbers, pictured below, and they seem to have a better design than the BMW part. Looking at the design carefully you'll see that the stress points are reinforced with significantly more rubber than the BMW part.

I've done a few trips, over some rough roads too, and my whole exhaust system is rock solid without the slightest hint of sagging...:biggrinbounce:. I don't have the pics. but I also changed the rubbers on the rear silencer...the U.K. set didn't hold up too well either.

The children in the pics are my pride and joy....told my son that the parts were for my M-Power ( That's my plate no. ) and he decided to get in on the action....haven't sorted out my camera yet...these were all done via my phone.

I'll keep you all informed on the handling/durability of the suspension parts. If anyone is qualified to comment on suspension parts its moi !. I've used every notable arm/bushing on the market in other BMW's and the best bushes so far in terms of maintaining suspension integrity over less than perfect raods at high speed are the Powerflex ones.

Once work allows ( maybe next week ) I'll have the parts fitted and add to this thread.

Cheers

Erik

Attachments

·
10,445 Posts
great pics. I have yet to fit my control arms, maybe this coming weekend. It is enjoyable work.

I was quite surprised how much quieter things are in the cabin with the new gearbox mounts.
( did fit some ebay knock off M mirrors, but that's another story!)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Why did you choose the 750 bushings over the M5 bushings?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why did you choose the 750 bushings over the M5 bushings?

2 reasons......1. I remember reading somewhere ( don't remember exactly ) that the 750i bushings are more robust than the stock M5 bushings due to the increased weight of the E32. 2. The dealer didn't have the M5 bushings in stock.

Even if they did I think I would still have gone with the E32 set......until I get my black Powerflex bushings that is :biggrinbounce:.

Will let you know if what has been stated holds true asap.

Cheers

Erik

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Beautiful children Erik , congratulations .

There are a great number of parts instock at GSF and ECP that are genuine oem quality but don't come in the lovely grey BMW box or plastic bag with a BMW sticker on it .

Hella headlights are a classic example , typically available for less than half of the BMW price when purchased from GSF or ECP .

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beautiful children Erik , congratulations .

There are a great number of parts instock at GSF and ECP that are genuine oem quality but don't come in the lovely grey BMW box or plastic bag with a BMW sticker on it .

Hella headlights are a classic example , typically available for less than half of the BMW price when purchased from GSF or ECP .

Thanks David

I've done a lot of shopping in the past at ECP and GSF and all that I bought did quite well.

BMW parts are damn expensive.......those Aluminium wishbones you see there are almost twice the cost of the Lemforder equivalent.

If the parts are made by the same manufacturer how different can they be.....or does the difference, if any, justify paying double the cost ?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Some of the BMW parts are different to those by Lemforder in aftermarket.
There are differences.
Some are physically obvious.
I have guenuine parts going on to my car after ripping through a bunch of
GSF supplied front & rear suspension parts fitted in 2005, so less than 20k miles ago.
The last lot from BMW lasted twice as long driven twice as hard.

Farrell

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of the BMW parts are different to those by Lemforder in aftermarket.
There are differences.
Some are physically obvious.
I have guenuine parts going on to my car after ripping through a bunch of
GSF supplied front & rear suspension parts fitted in 2005, so less than 20k miles ago.
The last lot from BMW lasted twice as long driven twice as hard.

Farrell
Thanks Faz !

I know I'm going to be paying a lot for suspension parts due to my driving style and our roads....so it would be wise for me to find the best solution....even if its more expensive.

So it looks like me and the girl at the BMW spare parts sales desk will become good friends in a short while....:sad1:.

EDC fund is growing......1680pounds to go....:applause:....btw, I just bought a lottery ticket :1:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All

Fitted all the components last weekend.

My rear pitman arms were shot...a lot of clearance in them. Other parts weren't that bad.

But what a difference in the handling of the car !

The 840i arms coupled with the 750i bushes make the car more direct during high speed lane changes...only compromise, if you can call it that, is that they transmit more "road feel" than the standard items...but this was to be expected. When these bushes let go I'll substitute all front bushes for black Powerflex items.

I'm very happy with the car and can only imagine what it was like when new.....I guess, unfortunately for my pockets..:1zhelp:, my goal now is to bring it up to "as new" condition.

In that case next item on the list are the front EDC shocks and associated components. Will let you all know when that too gets done !

Cheers

Erik

·
Registered
186 Posts
EDC Strut Prices

Hi Erik.

Not sure how much you're paying for your struts, but one of the US guys recommends this site.

www.mileoneparts.com

front (31312227533/4) - US$1140ea
rear (37122227493/4) - US$1260ea

I bought my fronts from BMA (www.bmaparts.com). They charge about 10% more, but their service is excellent.

Reg.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
the only bit I will add is that bmw parts have a 2 year guarantee.
andy
2 year guarantee against what exactly Andy ?

I find it hard to believe that servicable parts like control arm bushes would be guaranteed against wear and tear !

Well done on getting all of those parts fitted Erik and thanks for sharing your experiences !

D

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Hi Erik
Glad you are making progress with the old girl:)
At least you got to drive & quantify the changes which is good.
Those Nigerian roads do sound like hard going !:dunno:

OT
This part warranty thing.
All BMW parts regardless of wether bushes or dampers etc are covered by a 12 month warranty as long
as they are assembled & fitted correctly.
That applies to BMW dealer fitted parts or Joe public.

I have heard of good will being extended to customers up to 24 months on certain parts.
That's good will though.

Despite what I have experienced & being told ( this morning), I sincerely doubt that a claim for a clutch driven plate &
brake pads / discs are covered or would succeed imho.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Faz hard going is an understatement !

While some roads are very good others are quite bad.....these components have a very hard life down here so I'll surely be able to report on their reliability/durability

Most E34's here were bought second-hand and the owners seem to go for vehicles with an indeterminate history making them much cheaper to acquire.

Due to this BMW down here have a large stock of parts that nobody buys, due to their cost !......the cost of my front suspension parts is almost half the cost of a used E34. What people tend to forget are the cost of these cars when new.

Well, its all good for me cause due to the above I get very generous discounts on the parts I buy....seems I'm the only one buying them !

Will provide updates in time !

Cheers All !

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Valid point Erik, the parts prices on these cars reflect their original price. I mean I just broke my non return valve ( 30 euro piece) but by replacing some bits and bobs around it and the work it came to about 800 euros...lovely :)

Lantz

·
Registered
314 Posts
david you are probably right mate, i bought a pair of rear suspension struts for my e36 328 touring and one leaked heavily ofter 18 months. i took the car to bowkers here in accrington and they replaced it free. So no i dont know exactly what is covered but i was under the impression that most items were. andy

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
The Sale of Goods Act 1979 ( as amended ) states that goods , whether BMW or otherwise , should be fit for the purpose for which they are designed .

Therefore , if it can be proved that a given item did not perform as to be reasonably expected , certain remedies ( refund / replacement ) may be available to the buyer .

Admittedly , some retailers will be more willing to provide a remedy than others dependent on a number of factors .

·
Registered
116 Posts
Guys , what is the black powerflex bushes mentioned here? A worthwhile upgrade?
Currently I have to replace a couple of bushes againg. Changed bushes for stabilizers last year and now they are oval again. Caster block / control arm is also starting to get a little worn. Replaced last time with oem bushes. Btw I replaced the stabilizer bars also , and what a improvement that was ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts