BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a little chatter from my 00 beast.
the dealer tells me I need about 2500 worth of parts and labor :eek:h:
I know these are wear items and I am prepared to pay as my beast has 84k
I just want to do the right thing.

- sway bar
--struts
--thruster bushing's
--pitman arm
--control arm

My question is this the time to upgrade or go oem. Do I have the dealer do the repairs or someone else a little less expensive?? looking for advise from the crafty veterens. thanks

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
m5tackulous said:
I've noticed a little chatter from my 00 beast.
the dealer tells me I need about 2500 worth of parts and labor :eek:h:
I know these are wear items and I am prepared to pay as my beast has 84k
I just want to do the right thing.

- sway bar
--struts
--thruster bushing's
--pitman arm
--control arm

My question is this the time to upgrade or go oem. Do I have the dealer do the repairs or someone else a little less expensive?? looking for advise from the crafty veterens. thanks
About 99% of the time the chatter you describe is caused by blown out struts in combination with bad thrust arm bushings. I would advise against getting factory Boge struts installed because they last about 3yr/36K mi. A set of 4 $700 Koni's are far superior and guaranteed for life. Try sponsor Tirerack.com!

Your dealer is likely milking you. I do not believe all those parts are bad. The thrust bushings are likely bad, but the associated control arm & ball joint(s) generally last 200K mi. IMO, they are just throwing parts at the car on your dime. With your miles, you likely need struts, swaybar end links and thrust bushing....other parts are very questionable.

A swaybar generally lasts about 5 million miles, unless the car is totally smashed and the occupants killed. They are really full of crap, unless they mean swaybar end links...they go bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts