BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at 150K mile mark and I have various wear and tear on my suspension bits.
I no longer have the "tightness" I used to enjoy when the beast was new, but it's a part of getting old and wise, I told myself...
Now I am faced with a question: "do I refresh my Beast and go on for few more years, or get a new ride?"
As it turns out, I am more and more inclined to restore my beast, so here we go.

I have new set of Dinan struts/springs on all four corners, yet it is still too "lax" in feel.
Will it make a difference (i.e. get that "tight" feel back?) to replace control arms, thrust arms, sway bars, center link etc?
If not all together, individually, what effect will each component have upon replacing?

Or, the bigger question would be; is it even worth trying to restore the new, "tight" feeling on this aged work horse?
Thanks in advance for your insights into this. I just happen to like my current ride, and the new one on horizon looks less appealing by the day.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Really depends on how recently stuff was replaced

When was the Dinan stuff put on? Any idea if any of the suspension links have been replaced? Do a search on the board under suspension, rear ball joint and thrust arm bushings and you'll get all kinds of info about how the e39 suspension bushings (all essentially rubber isolated) will wear over time and lead to all kinds of handling issues. A good idea to first get the car up on a lift and inspect all the links for signs of wear (usually leaking fluid/stains on the thrust arm and/or ball joints) and movement (grab each wheel at 9 & 3 and then 12&6 oclock positions to see if you can push/pull). Any movement is a pretty good sign it is time to start replacing links.

I recently refreshed the rear suspension in my 56k 2003 M5 and replaced:

- ball joints
- integral link
- sway bar links
- both upper links

Cured the very loose feeling the car had (ball joints were shot). None of the suspension links are particularly hard to replace with the correct tools and following the many DIYs on this site.

For what its worth, you're looking at roughly $650 per axle in parts (not including shock/strut and springs) to replace virtually every suspension link and related bolts/nuts with OEM stuff. In other words for <$2k and a decent amount of weekend time and you can vastly improve the feel of a worn e39 suspension.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
On top of the suspension arms and springs and dampers, you should consider :

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...bles-do-when-fitting-new-springs-dampers.html

FRONT :

Quantity: 2
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 31 33 1091708 - GUIDE SUPPORT
Price Each Excl VAT: 23.65
Total Excl VAT: 47.30
Total VAT: 7.10
Total Inc VAT: 54.40

Description: 31 33 1096664 - SPRING PAD LOWER
Price Each Excl VAT: 1.28
Total Excl VAT: 2.56
Total VAT: 0.38
Total Inc VAT: 2.94

Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 31 33 1091233 - SPRING PAD UPPER
Price Each Excl VAT: 2.63
Total Excl VAT: 5.26
Total VAT: 0.79
Total Inc VAT: 6.05

Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 31 33 1090612 - UPPER SPRING POCKET W/AXIAL CAGE BEARING
Price Each Excl VAT: 5.33
Total Excl VAT: 10.66
Total VAT: 1.60
Total Inc VAT: 12.26

Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 31 33 2226674 - ADDITIONAL SHOCK ABSORBER, FRONT
Price Each Excl VAT: 11.51
Total Excl VAT: 23.02
Total VAT: 3.45
Total Inc VAT: 26.47

Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 31 33 1093344 - RUBBER BOOT
Price Each Excl VAT: 13.21
Total Excl VAT: 26.42
Total VAT: 3.96
Total Inc VAT: 30.38

Description: 31 32 1139423 - SUPPORT
Price Each Excl VAT: 1.54
Total Excl VAT: 3.08
Total VAT: 0.23
Total Inc VAT: 3.54

Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 31 10 6774714 - SELF-LOCKING HEX NUT, M14X1,5-05 ZNS3
Price Each Excl VAT: 0.42
Total Excl VAT: 0.84
Total VAT: 0.13
Total Inc VAT: 0.97

Quantity: 6
Description: 31 33 1092887 - SELF-LOCKING COLLAR NUT, M8-8-ZNS
Price Each Excl VAT: 0.15
Total Excl VAT: 0.90
Total VAT: 0.14
Total Inc VAT: 1.04

£138.05

REAR :

Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 33 52 2229854 - GUIDE SUPPORT
Price Each Excl VAT: 38.15
Total Excl VAT: 76.30
Total VAT: 11.45
Total Inc VAT: 87.75

Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 33 53 2228904 - ADDITIONAL SHOCK ABSORBER, REAR
Price Each Excl VAT: 10.59
Total Excl VAT: 21.18
Total VAT: 3.18
Total Inc VAT: 24.36

Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 33 53 2229913 - SPRING PAD LOWER
Price Each Excl VAT: 5.09
Total Excl VAT: 10.18
Total VAT: 1.53
Total Inc VAT: 11.71

Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 33 53 2229858 - SPRING PAD UPPER
Price Each Excl VAT: 4.48
Total Excl VAT: 8.96
Total VAT: 1.34
Total Inc VAT: 10.30

Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 33 52 6773882 - SELF-LOCKING HEX NUT, M10X1-8 ZNS3
Price Each Excl VAT: 0.38
Total Excl VAT: 0.76
Total VAT: 0.11
Total Inc VAT: 0.87

Quantity: 6
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: - SELF-LOCKING COLLAR NUT, M8-8-ZNS3
Price Each Excl VAT: 0.13
Total Excl VAT: 0.78
Total VAT: 0.12
Total Inc VAT: 0.90

Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 33 52 1092072 - HEX BOLT, M14X1,5X100
Price Each Excl VAT: 0.93
Total Excl VAT: 1.86
Total VAT: 0.28
Total Inc VAT: 2.14

£138.03

TOTAL = £276.08

Reactions: Lancefitzgiben

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
When was the Dinan stuff put on? Any idea if any of the suspension links have been replaced? Do a search on the board under suspension, rear ball joint and thrust arm bushings and you'll get all kinds of info about how the e39 suspension bushings (all essentially rubber isolated) will wear over time and lead to all kinds of handling issues. A good idea to first get the car up on a lift and inspect all the links for signs of wear (usually leaking fluid/stains on the thrust arm and/or ball joints) and movement (grab each wheel at 9 & 3 and then 12&6 oclock positions to see if you can push/pull). Any movement is a pretty good sign it is time to start replacing links.

I recently refreshed the rear suspension in my 56k 2003 M5 and replaced:

- ball joints
- integral link
- sway bar links
- both upper links

Cured the very loose feeling the car had (ball joints were shot). None of the suspension links are particularly hard to replace with the correct tools and following the many DIYs on this site.

For what its worth, you're looking at roughly $650 per axle in parts (not including shock/strut and springs) to replace virtually every suspension link and related bolts/nuts with OEM stuff. In other words for <$2k and a decent amount of weekend time and you can vastly improve the feel of a worn e39 suspension.
The Dinan stage one set up went in less than a year ago, and they replaced all the mounts/bushings associated with the upgrade.
Only from that upgrade, the ride was really nice... for a while.
Now I have learned that center link, control arms are going bad, so prob. will replace those.

I would like to know the effect/feedback/tangible steering/ride feel I would get by replacing center link alone vs. control arms alone vs. thrust arms vs. ball joint etc. (i.e., respective effect I would feel by replacing those individual components.) Reason for my curiosity comes from the fact that the recent replacement of front right sway bar link has absolutely no effect on ride/steering whatsoever!

If anyone with an in-depth knowledge/experience would chime in, it'll be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
The Dinan stage one set up went in less than a year ago, and they replaced all the mounts/bushings associated with the upgrade.
Only from that upgrade, the ride was really nice... for a while.
Now I have learned that center link, control arms are going bad, so prob. will replace those.

I would like to know the effect/feedback/tangible steering/ride feel I would get by replacing center link alone vs. control arms alone vs. thrust arms vs. ball joint etc. (i.e., respective effect I would feel by replacing those individual components.) Reason for my curiosity comes from the fact that the recent replacement of front right sway bar link has absolutely no effect on ride/steering whatsoever!

If anyone with an in-depth knowledge/experience would chime in, it'll be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks.
Are you on a very tight budget ?

Or are you being incorrectly advised ?

Why did you only change one of your two front sway bar links ??? You say you have changed out every single item in the rear end, but only one front sway bar link ?

Give us your budget figure and we, the board, will advise how you should proceed.

Good Luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you on a very tight budget ?

Or are you being incorrectly advised ?

Why did you only change one of your two front sway bar links ??? You say you have changed out every single item in the rear end, but only one front sway bar link ?

Give us your budget figure and we, the board, will advise how you should proceed.

Good Luck
The budget is always tight, though it's flexible upon the severity of the issue.
If I need to cough up a few grand for a definite, long-term performance gain, i'd do it.
If on the other hand, few hundred bucks will get me a shiny new chrome somewhere on the car, I'd rather not.

That said, the following is the chronological suspension issue;

I remember distinctly how nice and well dampened the ride was when I bought the car, and have enjoyed it for a long while.
Through the years, some time ago I started noticing softer ride, bounce not as well dampened (jarring, even), all kinds of squeaks and clunks.
When taken to an Indy Dinan shop, I was told few bushings (thrust arm, mostly) and aging struts all around.
I then upgraded to Dinan stage 1 set up, had all the bushings replaced, along with a fresh alignment.

Immediately afterwards, the ride was phenomenal... for a few months.
Then I started hearing new clunks and went back to the shop to find out various arms were "being broken".
The car was safe to drive, according to them, but it was pretty annoying.
Included in their assessment, sway bar links, control arms, center links, ball joints both front and back (though not "all" of them, some in the front, some in the left rear, etc.) were on their way out.

I had both front sway bar links replaced, since they were the easiest to do (and cheapest).
I feel nothing different from these new sway bar links.

Hence my query, which component will have what effect on ride/handling?
I then would have an educated repair plan as how to sequentialize the replacements.
I can go all out and have everything swapped out, if really necessary, but that's not the case here.
I would very much like to learn about these things; least I can do to a ride that served me well for a decade.

Please share with me your vast knowledge, Board!
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Can anybody help with the list of part # in the picture? Thanks!!

Im sure someone can list the parts and will but its pretty easy you should get used to looking on Realoem.com and Identifying the parts diagram...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts