BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to do an Alignment on my M6, however I have always opted for a performance oriented alignment. Has anyone done this with their M5 or M6 and what settings did you go for?

thanks!

·
Registered
538 Posts
More negative camber.

The front camber is not adjustable and is what it is unless you pull the pins.

Lowering the car will get you to about -1.5 to -1.7 camber on the front. (If you pull the pins you can get -1.7 with no lowering)

Camber plates can get you another degree or two

My rears are sitting at -2.1 (they were -1.8). I think you can take your rears to -2.3 max or something. I am going to bring my rears back to -1.8.

I would just ask them to go right in the middle of the min and max. per BMW. Unless you are planning to track the car often...

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Front camber is very adjustable. If you pull the pins you can get 1.7 with no lowering.

I agree with Glock: leave alone with what BMW says unless you are tracking.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where and how do I pull these pins so the car is ready when it goes in on Wed?

and also.. what about Front and Rear toe in and out?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I still say if you have to ask, leave it alone. The reason is, what do you think this "performance" alignment is going to do?

I think your first question should have been. What does toe in and out do, what does have more camber achieve....?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I still say if you have to ask, leave it alone. The reason is, what do you think this "performance" alignment is going to do?

I think your first question should have been. What does toe in and out do, what does have more camber achieve....?

Actually I track quite often, and have several performance alignments on my previous M cars.. I also had the pins removed on my last car but it was done at a shop and im curious if i can do this on the M6 alone or at least be able to tell the Tech who does the alignment how to do it..

Since the M6 is new to me and others have already had experience with it, im curious what people were finding to be an optimal setup.. I dont mind a little tire wear.. I usually do around -1.6 camber all around.. but ive had different results with the toe in/out.. any suggestions

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
What cars have you tracked? I am asking to just get an idea of what you want the M6 to handle like. Give me an idea of your driving habits.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What cars have you tracked? I am asking to just get an idea of what you want the M6 to handle like. Give me an idea of your driving habits.
Id like an aggressive street setup.. Ive tracked my E46 M3, Evo 8 and 944 Turbo "S" at many different tracks...

Ive got the camber down.. but im still a little confused what to set the Toe at.. I think in the past i did rear at 1/16 in and front at 3/16th out but i cant remember.. does that sound right?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I say leave the toe at stock settings. The M6 is heavier than both those cars and the wear should be good on the tires. The car will also track better as the suspension is much more complex.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,395 Posts
Ive got the camber down.. but im still a little confused what to set the Toe at.. I think in the past i did rear at 1/16 in and front at 3/16th out but i cant remember.. does that sound right?
I like a little toe-out front, and toe-in rear as well. That helps the responsiveness of the initial turn in, and keeps the back from stepping out too quickly.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So Final Settings will be:

Camber - 1.7 All around

Toe: 1/16 rear in

Toe: 1/8th front out..

I need to figure out these settings now in Degrees.. anyone have a clue..

and finally, id like the dealer to remove the Pins to get the extra camber out of the front, can anyone clarify this process to me real quick?

Thanks for everyones help

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The settings look good.

The pins are in the strut tower. No offense to your alignment guy, but if he cant figure out how to remove them or locate them...use another guy.

·
Registered
538 Posts
So Final Settings will be:

Camber - 1.7 All around

Toe: 1/16 rear in

Toe: 1/8th front out..

I need to figure out these settings now in Degrees.. anyone have a clue..

and finally, id like the dealer to remove the Pins to get the extra camber out of the front, can anyone clarify this process to me real quick?

Thanks for everyones help
Do you have lowering springs? If not, then it appears your pins have already been removed...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice name..

No lowering Springs yet...

I still have to remove the pins in order to get the -1.7 in the front.. I havent done the alignment yet.. But I could use some advice on how to have them removed.. I had a shop do this on my E46 M3, just not sure how its done on the M6

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nice name..

No lowering Springs yet...

I still have to remove the pins in order to get the -1.7 in the front.. I havent done the alignment yet.. But I could use some advice on how to have them removed.. I had a shop do this on my E46 M3, just not sure how its done on the M6
I don't know the exact procedure. It might have been discussed here before. I would try a search for Alignment Pins.

O.K. I searched for you. You should be able to find your answer here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=3342058

I would also search out alignment where you will find many of threads and people who have posted their alginment results, PDF's, etc. This is how I learned anything I know about the alignment settings of the M5...

I hate to be "that guy", but I really think you can search out all the info you are looking for...

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts