BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new M5 is at 80K miles and some bits of the suspension need a refresher. Im going all out and doing the majority of items like the F+R control arms, wish bones, guide arms, sway bar links integral links, etc.

Going with new strut mounts, bearings, and rear mounts.

However, Im stuck on the struts/springs.

I definitely want a mild drop, 1" all around would do it for me. Certainly do not want to slam the car, and want to bring back the handling the E39 M5 is known for.

Being Im doing so much, my budget for the strut/spring combo is about $1,000.

ECS has the Bilstein PSS for about $966. For that same price I can go with Koni Yellows and H&R springs. I noticed a few people mention the PSS is rather stiff and bouncy. Possibly because they were too low?

Which combo would you suggest for me? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I was in the same position as you last year and over the winter I bought koni yellows and dinan springs.

I drove a friends S2 and the ride was real nice so that was the final factor. I have read on here that the H&R springs are a little harsh but I have never felt them just read the reviews.

I will be installing mine some time this spring.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My new M5 is at 80K miles and some bits of the suspension need a refresher. Im going all out and doing the majority of items like the F+R control arms, wish bones, guide arms, sway bar links integral links, etc.

Going with new strut mounts, bearings, and rear mounts.

However, Im stuck on the struts/springs.

I definitely want a mild drop, 1" all around would do it for me. Certainly do not want to slam the car, and want to bring back the handling the E39 M5 is known for.

Being Im doing so much, my budget for the strut/spring combo is about $1,000.

ECS has the Bilstein PSS for about $966. For that same price I can go with Koni Yellows and H&R springs. I noticed a few people mention the PSS is rather stiff and bouncy. Possibly because they were too low?

Which combo would you suggest for me? Thanks in advance.
I'll be able to tell you how the PSS ride in about 2 weeks if you're willing to wait lol

I started a thread asking others about them here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/357906-bilsteins-pss-coilovers.html

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Guys. The Dinan/Koni combo seems promising. Definitely interested to hear your thoughts darocc.

I had eibach on my m3 and the ride was really good.

Now the question is, where to purchase dinan kit at a discount?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I'm rocking Koni yellows with stock springs and it's pretty kickass. It absorbs everything like a champion-- e.g. I barely need to slow down for speed bumps.

If you want to lower it, I'd do Konis/dinan springs. If you want to make it handle as well as it can (which... is never exceptional, it's a 4000 lb car), the GC setup is about as good as it gets for this car, imo.

X5 thrust arm bushings while you're in there!

I'm running the stock springs because trying to make it handle truly well is a losing battle-- it's just too heavy, and the steering detracts from the experience. If you get it stiff enough that it's not rolly polly anymore, it's too stiff to do what the M5 is awesome at-- be a comfortable fast car. Better to have the big bump absorption and easy of making it into steep entrance with the stock springs, imo. The Koni yellows with stock springs make it handle well enough to not be frustrating, but keep the stock comfort/versatility/practicality.

... though the equation might change if the M5 is your sole sporty car.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm rocking Koni yellows with stock springs and it's pretty kickass. It absorbs everything like a champion-- e.g. I barely need to slow down for speed bumps.

If you want to lower it, I'd do Konis/dinan springs. If you want to make it handle as well as it can (which... is never exceptional, it's a 4000 lb car), the GC setup is about as good as it gets for this car, imo.

X5 thrust arm bushings while you're in there!

I'm running the stock springs because trying to make it handle truly well is a losing battle-- it's just too heavy, and the steering detracts from the experience. If you get it stiff enough that it's not rolly polly anymore, it's too stiff to do what the M5 is awesome at-- be a comfortable fast car. Better to have the big bump absorption and easy of making it into steep entrance with the stock springs, imo. The Koni yellows with stock springs make it handle well enough to not be frustrating, but keep the stock comfort/versatility/practicality.

... though the equation might change if the M5 is your sporty car.
Thank you, always good to hear from a master like yourself.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My M5 is sporting Koni shocks with stock springs. It handle pretty good for stock height. I would look into dinan spring/koni shocks if you want to keep stock ride quality while improving handling.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Koni with Dinan

Koni with Dinan springs is an awesome combination. I love this set up so much that I installed a set on my 540i touring.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys, very helpful and it seems like my decision has been made!

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
Drive my car when I see you.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
my car is setup with a Dinan S1.5 - .5 being the RSB. Dinan has a 15% discount going on right now. I bought mine during their 20% discount sale back in July/August of last year. I also replaced my FTABS, engine mounts and every single consumable during the shock/strut/spring swap. transformed my car...totally different driving experience. The drop is perfect in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Another vote for Dinan and Koni. Drop evens out the fender gap front and rear and at least in my car leaves the fender about 1/2 above the tire on both, which I like. I'm not into slammed. Ride is nice, not far from the stock springs as far as harshness,and handles better than 125K mile stock :eek:h:. For me it was a hard decision not to go with GC but my research told me that the Dinan/Koni combo would suit my needs better than the coil over solution. Would like to get some camber plates on though. Should be close to your budget if you get them on sale too.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
A completely none adjustable kit, without camber plates for the same price of a 31 way damper adjustable/ride height adjustable kit WITH camber plates?

I'm sure the Dinan/Koni guys are happy, I just couldn't handle being restricted like that though. I have BC's on both of my E39's and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
It all depends what you want your suspension to do for you and your budged. If i were to recommend coilovers, I'd go with KW3. If I'd to recommend shock strut set-up Dinan Stage 2/3 pending on what you want out of the suspension.

Reactions: timmay77

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
It all depends what you want your suspension to do for you and your budged. If i were to recommend coilovers, I'd go with KW3. If I'd to recommend shock strut set-up Dinan Stage 2/3 pending on what you want out of the suspension.

Exactly why I LOVE threads like this..... What's your favorite exhaust? What's your favorite suspension? Everyone has their own personal plan for their car. Technical info is easy to find through search, asking for someone's opinion will net a ton of "I am using THIS" replies. But it is what it is....

Carry on.....

Reactions: Silent

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Exactly why I LOVE threads like this..... What's your favorite exhaust? What's your favorite suspension? Everyone has their own personal plan for their car. Technical info is easy to find through search, asking for someone's opinion will net a ton of "I am using THIS" replies. But it is what it is....

Carry on.....
I though you love oil threads more

Reactions: timmay77

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for the input fellas. Really gives me a lot to think about, still leaning on the dinah/koni end of this.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have the Dinan 1.5 setup going in my car soon as well. 20% off put the setup pretty close piecing the konis/springs/bump stops together. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
occasionally Dinan and koni have sales that how I bought both.

yea you can get BC for the same price but for me I chose what I felt was a higher quality setup.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts