BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys,

I have a question regarding my car's handling, here is my set up: Dinan springs, RDSport front/rear swaybars and Conti Sport2 tires (horrible) on stock wheels. There is not much roll when pushing the car hard in the corners, but I do feel the car still sits high and pushes in the corner and this is not confidence inspiring. I am using the recommended settings for the swaybars, full stiff in the rear and the middle setting in the front.

I also feel the seats sit rather high, I never feel that the car is wrapped around me, it's like sitting on top of the car. The seats and suspension in my 545i sit lower and I feel like I am one with the car. This car has Dinan's stage 3 suspension (sits roughly 1.2" lower that the M5) and I am running Michelin PSS, these factors obviously help with better handling. I have supreme confidence in this car in the corners, the handling is simply amazing, losing grip has never crossed my mind. It seems like the harder push it, the more is grips; handling on rails is an understatement. Unfortunately, I don't have this same confidence in my M5 and it drives me crazy, I am always thinking/fighting the push and how high the car feels in the corners with limited grip.

I do agree that swapping to the Michelin PSS will increase grip for the M5. I am also thinking if it makes sense to lower the car even further, but this would increase rubbing using the Michelins. I can deal with a little rubbing since I never have rear passengers.

I am a person who simply loves a great handling car! I am open to suggestions, to include different springs, tires and what would be the best course of action.

Thanks in advance.

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
Coilovers...but you can always run camber plates up front. I'm -2.0/-2.5 F/R. I am not on camber plates...yet.

Edit: I had the Dinan suspension too, before I switched to coilovers a couple years ago. My other m5s had coils, but I wanted to retain the "stock+" feel of EDC for my e60. I was going to just add the Dinan cambers, but decided to go coils instead.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Coilovers...but you can always run camber plates up front. I'm -2.0/-2.5 F/R. I am not on camber plates...yet.
The Oracle has spoken, I was hoping this was not the case. I really like the EDC option. I should also have my Dinan alignment specs checked out. I don't think I am using the most aggressive settings.

Thanks.

Registered
Your 545i is also about 200lbs lighter than the M5. That + better suspension/tire setups I would think would make your 545i like it has better better handling than your M5 with its current setup.

I, too, am not fully confident when going through sharper corners...taking those 270degree clover leaf hwy on ramps at 50+mph does make me feel like the car's read end is going to be thrown out...I'll usually tone it down and take those turns around 40-45mph, whereas my M3 friends can confidently take those turns at 50+mph.

I have almost the same suspension setup as you except w/ Michelin PSS tires.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Your 545i is also about 200lbs lighter than the M5. That + better suspension/tire setups I would think would make your 545i like it has better better handling than your M5 with its current setup.

I, too, am not fully confident when going through sharper corners...taking those 270degree clover leaf hwy on ramps at 50+mph does make me feel like the car's read end is going to be thrown out...I'll usually tone it down and take those turns around 40-45mph, whereas my M3 friends can confidently take those turns at 50+mph.

I have almost the same suspension setup as you except w/ Michelin PSS tires.
The Great One chimes in! I knew I could count on you guys. Randy, your description above is identical to what I am dealing with. I really love the MPSS tire but afraid that I will have rubbing issues. I see a set of Conti Extreme DWs for sale and not sure if these will rub as well. From what I have read the performance is on par with the MPSS.

Registered
The Great One chimes in! I knew I could count on you guys. Randy, your description above is identical to what I am dealing with. I really love the MPSS tire but afraid that I will have rubbing issues. I see a set of Conti Extreme DWs for sale and not sure if these will rub as well. From what I have read the performance is on par with the MPSS.
I'm running Michelin PSS 255/35/20 in the front and 295/30/20 in the rear. My camber in the rear I think is almost -2deg...I need to go back and check. I don't have any rubbing even with the thick walled 295 PSS tires.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Edit: I had the Dinan suspension too, before I switched to coilovers a couple years ago. My other m5s had coils, but I wanted to retain the "stock+" feel of EDC for my e60. I was going to just add the Dinan cambers, but decided to go coils instead.
How harsh is the ride using the Swifts with the coilovers?

Registered
...here is my set up: Dinan springs, RDSport front/rear swaybars and Conti Sport2 tires (horrible) on stock wheels. There is not much roll when pushing the car hard in the corners, but I do feel the car still sits high and pushes in the corner and this is not confidence inspiring.
Dinan Monoballs will give you the confidence in turns you are looking for :M5thumbs:

Monoballs are the best suspension upgrade I have made :applause:

Registered
How harsh is the ride using the Swifts with the coilovers?
The advantage of the coils: "infinitely" adjustable...dampening and ride height. BUT the adjustments have to be done manually. I can change based on where I'm driving. I can soften for the street or stiffen for the track.

The disadvantage of coils: loosing the EDC and can't change on the fly.

Coils do not need to be "slammed" or harsh.

Registered
Dinan Monoballs will give you the confidence in turns you are looking for :M5thumbs:

I love my Balls too. It's nice knowing what your two front wheels are doing...

Registered
I have the same setup as Randy now since after his changes and I have no complaints on my suspension. If I could do it over again I would probably go with Eibach springs instead of Dinan. The PSS are much better preforming than the stock Conti 2s tires, those are garbage.

I only went with Dinan since I got the stage 2 package at the time for $700 new otherwise I would have just gone with different brand of springs. Overall the stage 2 suspension makes a huge difference from stock but there are better options available out there I've learned.

Registered
As much as I like my monoballs, I don't think they will help Louis with the issue he is talking about. The monoballs will make his steering more precise, but his issue is more-so trying to throw a 4000lb beast around and the suspension bits making him feel more comfortable that his car is going to hold the turn together (he already has admitted his Conti tires are crap and that the PSS's would do much better, but he's afraid of rubbing). The monoballs for sure will improve the steering, but not help eliminate even more body roll.

The Dinan springs are probably the most conservative springs out there with only dropping the front by about 1/2" and the rear by 3/4".

Registered
Better tyres will certainly help. You may also want to soften up the rear sway bar or stiffen up the front end. If the rear end is too stiff in relation to the front you will have oversteer. I would aim for a more neutral setup and manage oversteer with your right foot.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15

The Monoballs will give me a better feeling in terms of what the front wheels are doing, but it won't help out with my other handling issues. I guess I shouldn't say issues, I am just trying to get the car to handle better for my driving style.

The advantage of the coils: "infinitely" adjustable...dampening and ride height. BUT the adjustments have to be done manually. I can change based on where I'm driving. I can soften for the street or stiffen for the track.

The disadvantage of coils: loosing the EDC and can't change on the fly.

Coils do not need to be "slammed" or harsh.
I am starting to really like the idea of "infinitely" adjustable, if you are doing some spirited driving or taking a road trip you simply dial in the suspension to fit your driving needs. BRILLIANT!

I have the same setup as Randy now since after his changes and I have no complaints on my suspension. If I could do it over again I would probably go with Eibach springs instead of Dinan. The PSS are much better preforming than the stock Conti 2s tires, those are garbage.

I only went with Dinan since I got the stage 2 package at the time for $700 new otherwise I would have just gone with different brand of springs. Overall the stage 2 suspension makes a huge difference from stock but there are better options available out there I've learned.
I agree on the Conti 2s, they came with the car and I didn't want to just throw away money and get the MPSS tires since the Conti 2s had 75% tread life left. I don't know how much longer I can hold out. What are the differences between the Dinan and Eibach springs that you like and don't like?

As much as I like my monoballs, I don't think they will help Louis with the issue he is talking about. The monoballs will make his steering more precise, but his issue is more-so trying to throw a 4000lb beast around and the suspension bits making him feel more comfortable that his car is going to hold the turn together (he already has admitted his Conti tires are crap and that the PSS's would do much better, but he's afraid of rubbing). The monoballs for sure will improve the steering, but not help eliminate even more body roll.

The Dinan springs are probably the most conservative springs out there with only dropping the front by about 1/2" and the rear by 3/4".
Precisely. Question, will the Eibach springs allow you to lower the car more than the Dinan springs using coilovers since they allow more of a drop?

Better tyres will certainly help. You may also want to soften up the rear sway bar or stiffen up the front end. If the rear end is too stiff in relation to the front you will have oversteer. I would aim for a more neutral setup and manage oversteer with your right foot.

I am using the recommended settings for the swaybars, Rear: full stiff, Front: Medium stiffness. I don't feel that I am going to lose the rear in corners, but the rear definitely doesn't feel like it's trailing the front either and the front pushes just a tad. TBH, I feel more of a push in the center of the car or mid-turn push, which may have more to do with the tires than anything else. I am thinking the car is neutral going into the turn, the suspension settles and at the mid-turn point, the tires start to roll over prior to breaking adhesion (it doesn't take much to slide the Conti 2s), this could account for the push in the center I am feeling. I don't have this issue on long radius turns, only on short radius turns (i.e., sharp on/off ramps). Looking at the Conti 2s, they do appear to sit taller than the MPSSs, even though the side walls are listed the same height. I think the best thing to do at this point is start with the MPSS, I know they are impressive and stick like glue. This will give me a great baseline to dial in my suspension using my current set up. If this doesn't give me the feeling I want, I can always upgrade to coilovers and springs later.

Registered
Precisely. Question, will the Eibach springs allow you to lower the car more than the Dinan springs using coilovers since they allow more of a drop?
If you get the coilovers then you don't need the springs. Although I'm not 100% sure what these swift springs people use with their coilovers setups is...perhaps Dan or Woody can chime in? But one of the benefits of coilovers is you can set your car to whatever height you want, it's not a fixed height. If you track your car you can also get corner balancing with coilovers to really dial in on the handling performance.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
If you get the coilovers then you don't need the springs. Although I'm not 100% sure what these swift springs people use with their coilovers setups is...perhaps Dan or Woody can chime in? But one of the benefits of coilovers is you can set your car to whatever height you want, it's not a fixed height. If you track your car you can also get corner balancing with coilovers to really dial in on the handling performance.
Got it, thanks. I do see coilovers in my future regardless. So many choices.

Registered
We shall see how good these things are next week when I have mine installed, I dont listen to all the hype on here so I will be as impartial as anyone ;)

I have the full susepnsion setup including a good set of coilovers so lets see if it makes a difference at all.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Which coilovers did you decide to go with? Below is a list of coilovers I found doing some research.

CKS - good reviews
BC Racing - LeeDan00's write up is swaying me towards these.
KW - best in the market?
Megan - good reviews
D2 - good reviews

Registered
Which coilovers did you decide to go with? Below is a list of coilovers I found doing some research.

CKS - good reviews
BC Racing - LeeDan00's write up is swaying me towards these.
KW - best in the market?
Megan - good reviews
D2 - good reviews
I have the KWs. Have had no issues with them from day one.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts