BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right,

Ive made up my mind, I want to upgrade my suspension. I dont care about self levelling stuff at the back. This therefore opens up a huge range of suspension kits.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
546 Posts
It would depend on what type of ride you would like. Do you wish to lower or remain same ride height. Are looking for adjustability.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unesential said:
It would depend on what type of ride you would like. Do you wish to lower or remain same ride height. Are looking for adjustability.
The ride can be a bit harder I dont mind. I wouldnt mind it being a bit lower.......adjustability.....mmm.....depends on how easy it is to adjust.

Are you thinking Coil Over's?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Cyrus said:
The ride can be a bit harder I dont mind. I wouldnt mind it being a bit lower.......adjustability.....mmm.....depends on how easy it is to adjust.

Are you thinking Coil Over's?
I wouldn't bother with coil-overs. Easy to adjust, but require corner-scales every time to set up properly. I'd take the Eibach springs & anti-roll-bars I have now, but combine them with a set of yellow Koni's instead of my crappy Bilsteins. Koni's are easily (from a removable knob on top) adjustable for harshness.

I know the catalogs state all the above as non-M5 parts, but that's because of SLS. If you ditch SLS you can use all e34 items as long as you stick to the proper front dome-cap size. I've fitted this setup (excl. stabis) to a friend's 3.6, with amazing results. I can only imagine what a wonderful piece of kit it would be with stabi's....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will probably use the H&R springs with the koni's then.

Can you get me the part numbers for the Koni shocks please. Front and rear.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Cyrus said:
I will probably use the H&R springs with the koni's then.

Can you get me the part numbers for the Koni shocks please. Front and rear.
There are 2 sizes for the plastic cap in the top strut mount. It's the plastic cap you see in the middle of the rubber in the strut-top under the bonnet.

For cars with the small (32mm?) plastic cap pushed into the mount (M12 nut under it)
Front KONI: 8641-1157Sport Rear: 8240-1078Sport

For cars with large cap (72mm) on the mounts (M14 nut underneath it)
Front: 8641-1224Sport Rear: 8240-1078Sport

Changeover date for the mount seems to be around 08/90

www.koni.com

And the most important addition: Eibach 2013.320 for the ARB's......

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Stevie.

I just ordered some H&R springs (£250 all in).....expensive but cheaper than most places are selling them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Stevie said:
I wouldn't bother with coil-overs. Easy to adjust, but require corner-scales every time to set up properly. I'd take the Eibach springs & anti-roll-bars I have now, but combine them with a set of yellow Koni's instead of my crappy Bilsteins. Koni's are easily (from a removable knob on top) adjustable for harshness.

I know the catalogs state all the above as non-M5 parts, but that's because of SLS. If you ditch SLS you can use all e34 items as long as you stick to the proper front dome-cap size. I've fitted this setup (excl. stabis) to a friend's 3.6, with amazing results. I can only imagine what a wonderful piece of kit it would be with stabi's....
Excellent recomendation. Have similar set up and Brother inlaw wants to know where the magnets are. Koni's also work on compression so there is les bottoming on hard hits.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
cyrus, see my last post on the group buy thread. I'm after a set of konis although cash is a bit tight at the moment hence looking at the front first.
Definately think Koni's are the best option.

cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Cyrus, was it me you sent pm ? if so never received it, maybe need to delete some messages - saw the price on the other thread though so hopefully I can get back to you once payday arrives.
cheers.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah 100% sent to you.

Let me know when you want anything, I can just add the item to my shop and then you can go in and pay via card.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts