BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so i have been running the bilstein pss kit for a while now. idk how the roads are in other states but up here in pa they are terrible, i swear some of them like like a mine field. the dampers are great in terms of performance and while the ride isn't harsh, after running the kit for a while im wishing i could soften the ride just a bit. so my question is being that the PSS kit does not have adjustable damping the only thing that can be modified that may effect ride quality is the springs. so does anyone know if there are softer springs available that will work with the kit?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Lots have mentioned a harsh ride, which is why I went with the koni's and dinah springs instead.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not harsh, just really firm. i did some research via google and yes there are springs available that will fit the PSS struts. just have to figure out what i need to get. anyone know what the spring rates are on the PSS, and are they linear or progressive?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no one on here who has coliovers has swapped out the springs for a different rate? i spoke to ground control yesterday and they said i need to get the spring rates and the measurements of the springs, then they can check and see what other springs are compatible.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update, so i got a pair of 8in 350lb springs from swift for the front. installed them yesterday, nice and easy didn't even have to take the strut out of the car, ditched the helper spring also. initial impression, exactly what i was looking for. softened up the ride just enough to take the edge off. i would like to do the same with the rears but this is going to be a bit more involved as the spring design is an oddball. the top of the spring inside diameter is 80mm but then it tapers at the bottom to 65mm. trying to think of a way to retrofit a cylindrical linear spring to the strut. also learned after speaking to a lot of suspension places this week that the PSS damper is just a bilstein sport strut with a threaded body. im thinking i'd need a custom lower perch maybe, idk, open to ideas.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Glad you were able to figure it out. Im sure you can get something made up for the rear.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Reactions: rao

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
I'm grabbing his post in that thread to plop the data here also for future searchers:

Just wanted to post up some additional spec info.

Bilstein PSS9 Spring Rates for 00 BMW M5 that come in the kit:
Front Main Spring: E4-FD1-Y727A00 (515lbs/in)
Rear Main Spring: E4-FD1-Y728A00 (290lbs/in)
Front Tender Spring: E4-FD1-Z349A00 (115lbs/in)

These specs are directly from Bilstein's Poway facility in Cali.
I'd be wary of going under 290 lbs/in in the rear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts