BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, does anyone know what other wear and tear bushings or suspension components affect ride comfort besides the struts and control arm bushings? After replacing both, I feel that the ride comfort could still be better, or maybe I'm expecting too soft of a ride for a sport suspension. :dunno:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not sure on the Pzero ride quality for the M5,but when I changed from Goodyear to Vredestien the car became more supple.

I also usually find that the colder winter temps make the springs and dampers firmer than summer time.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
OE tires were:

1) Dunlop SP8000
2) Michelin Pilot Sport (PS1)
2) Michelin Pilot Sport (PS2)

I can tell you for certain the PS2's ride like a cloud compared to just about every other tire I've tried.
True story.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hello all, does anyone know what other wear and tear bushings or suspension components affect ride comfort besides the struts and control arm bushings? After replacing both, I feel that the ride comfort could still be better, or maybe I'm expecting too soft of a ride for a sport suspension. :dunno:
Springs also effect ride quality. Over time, it does wear down. The E39 M5s stock suspension is stiffer than say a 5-series, or other comparable cars in its class. So you may be correct about expecting the ride to be softer. It's not an MB by any means ;)

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Springs also effect ride quality. Over time, it does wear down. The E39 M5s stock suspension is stiffer than say a 5-series, or other comparable cars in its class. So you may be correct about expecting the ride to be softer. It's not an MB by any means ;)
MB doesnt use soft springs, they use soft bushings. The bushings absorb the sharpness from the bump so that the suspension doesnt have to.

·
Registered
80 Posts
To get the most comfortable ride, you have to consider bringing the entire suspension pieces back to like new condition. There really is no short cut to this. i would tackle the following renewing projects in this order: front end, front subframe, rear end, rear subframe

Front end:
thrust arms
control arms
sway bar end links (note: sway bar inner bushings grouped w/ fr. subframe)
struts
spring pads
dust boot
bump stops
strut bearings
tie rod ends
center link ends
wheel bearings
wheels
tires

front subframe
engine mounts
sway bar bushings

rear end:
upper control arms
upper track arms
lower arm ball joints
lower arm bushings
shocks
spring pads
dust boot
bump stops
shock mount bushings
sway bar end links
sway bar bushings
rear wheel bearings
wheels
tires

rr subframe
diff. carrier bushings
rr subframe mounts

note:
I didn't include springs on the list, b/c I just don't believe that springs wear out. They'll settle to a particular sag over the years, but that's about it. Once it's coiled out of the CNC machine or die, it's going to retain that particular spring rate for the life of the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts