BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
I can say that BMW M Director Gerhard Richter told me and member KSA ///M5 on Frankfurt Salon 2007 that "don't sell the M3 CSL, it is appreciating in value".
Nice :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Really in two minds at the moment, been to see the new GT-R this few days and really tempted to trade the CSL in for it

·
Registered
28 Posts
MrCSL please contact me if you plan to sell your csl!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Confession of a CSL Lover

I have been away for a while; I turned into dark side, but only for a while ;)

After I sold my 2nd E46 M3 coupe that was SilverGrey with SMGII and with a few mods, I wanted to buy a CSL. However, as Ufuk said AKA Dirim, there is no 2005 modelyear CSL, so the unregistered CSL I found in Luxemburg with 700km was forbidden by law to import Turkey. This happened in 2005 December/2006 January. So I skipped that car. (what a shame :crying::crying2:)

For a while, I thought of ordering a M3 CS, but it wasn't what I really want; it would be my 3rd E46 M3 and I wanted somthing different. So I decided to buy a Porsche; after a few months of thinking what to get. In the mean time I drove a E90 320d sedan for 2 months.

I don't want to hijack the thread; so I'll cut it short. I got my 07 911 Carrera S coupe in meteor grey with sand beige full leather. The car was manual and had sports chassie (-20 mm) with LSD; with some other options but not sunroof again.
Unfortunately, even it was a fast car and handsome one, I never liked the car; especially after I changed my car with my friend's CSL for the weekend.

That weekend I realized how wrong I did with not buying the CSL. IT is the most fun and for me the best car I have ever driven. (well maybe besides F430 coupe but it doesn't count in terms of useablity, running costs and price)
The noise, interior, seats, carbon parts, SMGII shifts (it was noticable different than my other M3s SMGII software), directness of the car, handling, exterior design and the huge FUN factor.

Approaching to a corner, you brake hard, downshift from 4th gear to 2nd gear, perfectly match downshifts with noisy blip of throttles, you turn in, hit the apex and then on the throttle again; 90 degree opposite lock with the steering wheel while you are hearing the mervalous intake noise and then comes the next corner :wroom::wroom: The car is the :goldcup:

That weekend I drove the car approx. 400 km; in the city, 2 way curvy road in a forest and on the highway. Only downside was, IMO, the long 4th-5th and never ending 6th gear ratios, especially after the Carrera S' close ratio gear box. Well, Porsche was faster in terms of acceleration; that was for sure. But the CSL was way more FUN :D

So in May 2008, I sold my Porsche which I never like really. The main reason was stiffness of the sports chassie which was way stiffer than CSL. Thus it was very uncomfortable; even on the highways, but I opted for it in order to get LSD because 911s with PASM (Porsche Active Suspansion Management) don't have LSD grrrrrrrouich:mad:
Also I didn't like to use stick all the time which had factory option short shifter. (Unfortunately at the time of buying there was no kind of SMG style gearbox on Porsche; only 2 pedal cars were with slushbox.) That made the throw of the stick notchier and the car had a heavy clutch. One other reason was that the engine was in the wrong place..

As a result, I decided to wait for the E92 M3 CSL which I believe sometime in 2 years BMW will decide to produce it evenif they state that "there won't be an E92 CSL" and this car would be the best driver's car ever produced by BMW, hopefully.

Until that day, I decided to drive an Audi TTS coupe which is a relatively fast car with some good handling characteristics served with an excellent interior quality packed with sportish exterior and offered with a decent price tag which is not cheap but easy to sell when the right time comes :blink:

So I wish all the CSL owners on the board good health to enjoy and drive their beloved cars :thumbsup:
CSL deserves this Love.

·
Registered
946 Posts
One final word:
I would like to apologise from all to hijack your thread as a moderator but I got so excited after I saw my old M3s pictures in the "members Gallery" and after reading this thread. I get so emotional that I want to share it with you all. Want to tell you that how special your cars are and how I realized it in the past a few years after driving many different cars including 911 Carrera S, 911 Carrera 4S, Ferrari F360 and F430..

So I thought this would be a good place to confess my sin ;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Onur,

Thanks for sharing your post M3 experience on the dark side with us. It's a great shame that BMW did not build an E92 CSL and instead came up with SAVsteins like X6M and X5M. :grrrr: Even if they did, it may not have been as beautiful as the E46 CSL which IMO has the perfect look and proportions. It's really a gem to treasure. :goldcup: For the same reasons, I've also recently fallen to the dark side and still there. ;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hi Ufuk :cheers:

It is nice to see you again.
From your avatar, you get a 996 Turbo, I guess.
Have you been still keeping your CSL?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi Ufuk :cheers:

It is nice to see you again.
From your avatar, you get a 996 Turbo, I guess.
Have you been still keeping your CSL?
Hi Onur,

Unfortunately, the CSL is gone. I have a 996 GT2 Club Sport. Because BMW did not build the E92 CSL, after testing several options, this was the only car that gave me the same thrills and then some more. :thumbsup:

Take care...

Ufuk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I meant adjusting them for height and rake rather than forwards/backwards
The dealer can adjust the height as you probably know...
There are 3 slots to adjust height in the oem seat bracket as well as sliding and tilt functionality for rear seat egress/ingress. Its a fantastic proper drivers seat, but unfortunately it doesn't seem designed for us taller folks...

Im curious how many tall folks are enjoying the fit of their oem CSL front seats. Though im only 6'2 my inseam measurement isnt proportional and my torso is actually longer than friends of the same height. Bummer I know. Has anyone had any success lowering the seat in the car beyond the 3 holes in the factory bracket with any customization? Adding new holes to the bracket, or to the seat? :eek:oohhh:i know

Might just start another thread to not take this one off topic but I was lucky to acquire a pair of oem csl front seats in my standard e46 m3 and have tried mounting them on both standard recaro mounts and rails as well as the oem bracket and neither allow sufficient headroom for me while driving. Before I do anything drastic like cutting out my useless sunroof :mad:(LTW spec non sunroof cars were hard to come by when I was shopping 3yrs ago) just looking for some feedback from the taller M3csl drivers.

Below im sitting in my friends e46 m3 oem csl conversion, who actually has the oem csl cf roof, demonstrating my normal seating position where I would still need to mount the seat lower to wear a helmet! Otherwise I love driving in the proper oem sport bucket seat and wish it had been an option here in the US :wroom:

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
eshaun, your friend is a very serious M3 CSL aspirant with his car :) Very nice. Also, I see carbon look on the helmet? :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I never even saw this thread.

I had a CSL for more or less 8 months. Sold it over December with 55000km on the clock.

It is no 15 of the 65 that was destined for SA and was only first registered in 2005.

It had AC, Radio, PDC in the rear and Xenons, de limited

·
Registered
109 Posts
Another CSL here!

Did not notice this thread until now...

I have a Silbergrau Metallic CSL and the car has the following extras:

Code Description
S231A DELETION VMAX DOWN-CONTROL
S302A ALARM SYSTEM
S358A CLIMATE COMFORT WINDSCREEN
S423A FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
S428A WARNING TRIANGLE
S502A HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM
S508A PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)
S521A RAIN SENSOR
S522A XENON LIGHT
S534A AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
S650A CD PLAYER
S661A RADIO BMW BUSINESS

No mods.

In the unlikely event that you have not seen my picture thread before, do click here for an EPIC amount of pictures of my car:
My BMW M3 CSL - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Anssi

61 - 76 of 76 Posts