BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, what is the most that some of you ballers or wannabe ballers would be willing to spend to rent a clean title fully rebuilt and overhauled E60 M5 with a 6-speed manual per day? $400? Maybe more? I’m talking about one that has most if not all of the reliability issues solved and a fully reupholstered interior in the finest leather. I’m talking about an E60 M5 that cost around $80,000 to rebuild. How much would you pay to rent it per day?

I’m gonna post the same question on a Ferrari or Porsche forums and see what they say. But for comparison in NYC renting a Ferrari 458 Italia (MSRP $248,000) would cost you around $1600–$1800 per day. Based on my observation there appears to be two types of E60 M5 owners, the truly wealthy ones who has unlimited resources and the ones who couldn’t afford the MSRP of $90,000 to buy this car brand new when it first came out.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I dont think it matters what we would pay as most enthusiasts already own one

For that sort of money i imagine u could hire a ferrari or exotic which is all people car about

If anyone hired it they would be beating on it for sure

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Thanks for the great input. But I assume at 450 euros it is bone stock and hasn’t been fully restored and overhauled correct?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the great input. But I assume at 450 euros it is bone stock and hasn’t been fully restored and overhauled correct?
It has only custom downpipes as far as I know. But I can assure you (as someone who has been in a rented Golf R before) rentals are beated on as if they want the car to break down. "Don't be gentle, it's a rental."

Edit: I forgot to mention, in the Netherlands rentals are mostly rented by.. How should I say this.. Young people that earn their money in a illegal way.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,263 Posts
I would pay zero, because I’m the idiot that has already paid the $80,000+ to build and maintain a mechanically fully built, better-than-factory-fresh 6-speed manual to drive.

Different audience, but we have drivers rent a seat in our SpecE30 for $1000 to $2000 per HOUR for “arrive and drive” events and 6/12/25 hour endurance races.

Renting a $1800 per day exotic is cheap compared to running a race weekend.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
377 Posts
I would pay zero, because I’m the idiot that has already paid the $80,000+ to build and maintain a mechanically fully built, better-than-factory-fresh 6-speed manual to drive.
LOL - same problem, stored a 1990 Firebird in a garage in another city thinking I'd be back in a year. 25 years later of paying rent, finally pulled it out to put it to driving condition. don't want to think about counting all those beans!

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
LOL - same problem, stored a 1990 Firebird in a garage in another city thinking I'd be back in a year. 25 years later of paying rent, finally pulled it out to put it to driving condition. don't want to think about counting all those beans!
If my wife only knew.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::LOL: the “real” number. Ironically, the e60 is cheaper than my e28m5 project. I’m also the idiot that took a numbers matching e28m5 and is building an outlaw/resto-mod to the chagrin of the purists.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I agree with 5280. ZERO. I doubt there is much demand, many people that rent exotics are people that want that "look at me" thing. E60s were popular taxi cabs in Germany. A lot of enthusiasts would not pay sticker price when they know that they can pick up the same car some 10 years later, albeit with some amount of usage, for a small fraction of the original cost. (I happened to buy one last year that was less than the CA sales tax of one when it was new, but that's a CA problem)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What if you’re an Ivy League business executive, the titans of industries who are very low-key and who are on vacation to Los Angeles and want a 4-door sedan that is refined, comfortable, reliable, and has a freshly rebuilt V10 with 6-speed manual? A car that is way better and more luxurious than when it left the dealership in 2006-2010. How about that? Basically I’m trying to target the crowd that this car was originally intended for. Maybe I’m asking the wrong crowd on here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What if you’re an Ivy League business executive, the titans of industries who are very low-key and who are on vacation to Los Angeles and want a 4-door sedan that is refined, comfortable, reliable, and has a freshly rebuilt V10 with 6-speed manual? A car that is way better and more luxurious than when it left the dealership in 2006-2010. How about that? Basically I’m trying to target the crowd that this car was originally intended for. Maybe I’m asking the wrong crowd on here.
I don't think a business executive would want a manual to be honest. I just don't see it happening.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well that’s why Hertz has the President’s Circle with cars like the Panamera, and pay with points. I’m sure Sixt in Europe has the F90 M5. I rented a E92 M3 for a week back in 2013. And until the F90 M5 came out with AWD, the fastest BMW to 100 was the X5M. I’m sure someone has an E60 M5 on Turo.

almost all exotics in the past decade are automatics. Those people or their wives/mistresses cannot drive stick. I had a chance to drive a F430 Scuderia years back as well as a normal 458. Nothing comes close to the Scuderia, and it had their version of SMG.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
What if you’re an Ivy League business executive on vacation to Los Angeles and want a 4-door sedan that is refined, comfortable, reliable, and has a freshly rebuilt V10 with 6-speed manual? Basically a car way better and more luxurious than when it left the dealership in 2006-2010. How about that? Maybe I’m asking the wrong crowd on here.
What are the rates for e9x and f80 m3s on Turo? Charge a little more. You pretty much describe much of my demographic, except we live at the Beach in SoCal.

The younger colleagues at my firm, here and back East, drive new and shiny McLarens and Aston Martins. When they do come out here, they will go on Turo to find a ride.

With that said — there is no greater joy than flogging our v10 6speed, with dog and baby seat, up HWY 1 from SLO to our place in Monterey for holidays. The combo of a v10, 3 pedals, is “Party in the Front, and Business in the Rear” with 2 extra doors for the family — a HUGE reason, my 6speed is not leaving the stable.

Besides, I work for a self-funded PE energy firm, so I have to do my part burning fossil fuels!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can go on turo and see what the daily rates are for a given area. In tampa/miami where people do travel to and rent nicer than what Hertz has, well under 400 a day will get you a 911, a 1st gen R8, plenty of C7 and even C8 vettes, astons not to mention a smattering of newer luxo barges/suvs.

I have no idea what demographic you think is going to go for a 10 year old at newest M5 that won't absolutely destroy the car let alone pay what you may think is a fair rate. If you rent out your own cars you need be mentally and fiscally able to write the car off entirely. People can really suck, especially when it comes to taking care of nice things that aren't theirs.

Sorry to poo poo on your business venture. I'd really hate to see another post of some dingus grenading your engine and then shafting you with the bill. There are so many horror stories from people who rent out their cars and the APP doesn't do a thing for the the owner should a rental go south.

And Woody I like to think of my ///M stable as hybrids they burn both 93 AND 91 octane in a pinch.

Reactions: ticat928

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Woody I like to think of my ///M stable as hybrids they burn both 93 AND 91 octane in a pinch.
🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

·
Registered
5 Posts
What if you’re an Ivy League business executive, the titans of industries who are very low-key and who are on vacation to Los Angeles and want a 4-door sedan that is refined, comfortable, reliable, and has a freshly rebuilt V10 with 6-speed manual? A car that is way better and more luxurious than when it left the dealership in 2006-2010. How about that?
If you plop it on Turo or the like it certainly won't stay perfect for long. It'd get the snot beat out of it like any other performance oriented rental car. At $500/day I'd likely opt for plenty of other choices.

Reactions: gstoynev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It’s true people will probably beat the hell out of it if I rent it out so I will start with a smaller budget and try to minimize my risk by being more selective who to rent it to. I know there are other platforms to rent cars beside Turo which I hate. I would have to get top notch commercial auto insurance and find other ways to protect myself like putting in a dash cam and a tracking device so that their activity is being documented.

The E60 M5 to me is the greatest super sedan ever made and I want a fleet of maybe 10 of them with only 6-speed manual and eventually DCT. I will keep two of them for personal use and try to use the rest as a rental income, and also do a restomod on the same level of craftsmanship as Singer Vehicle Design or the FJ Company. This is a project I am working on right now and I’m trying to figure out many different angles to turn this hobby into a thriving and reputable business. I’m also not impressed with the exhaust systems currently available on the market for this car and feel I can make one that is way better, so that is another project which is being added to my list.

My background has nothing to do with cars by the way.
I have several graduate level degrees (MS, MS, MBA) and two of them are in biotechnology and business, which is really my main passion.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
10 of them with only 6-speed manual
Save the Manuals!

This is a breakdown of 6MT production; a total of 1364 were built from the factory. I know of at least two Interlagos Blue 6MTs that ended up in the crusher.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts