BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, I don't think this question has ever been asked/posed, so now it's time. If you have a official Dinan S2 M5 sedan, tell us your S2 badge number.
Here's my S2 Serial Number: S20612

:M5thumbs:

2003 M5 Titanium Silver/Silverstone Interior. To many mods/goodies to mention/list ! ;)

·
Registered
797 Posts
S20312.

:cheers:

Jeff

PS. Just upgraded to stage 3 suspension with JRZs, camber plates, and 28 mm front anti-roll bar.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Jeff:
I installed the S2 package minus the flywheel and exhaust this past summer.
The flywheel seemed unnecssary at the time (50,000 miles)and I much prefer the Tubi cat-back exhaust.
So I guess I have the "sorta S2 package".

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a full S2 (not the wheels). The previous owner installed it and didn't install the plaque. I have his dealer receipt for $32000 (w/tax ouch!!!), checked with the dealer that did the install, and physically verified everything is there ( inc. headers and throttle bodies). Have coordinated with my dealer and Dinan to get the plaque next time I go in for an oil service. Do not drive enought for the oil service lights to go off so waiting till May for my 1 year free service (have been taking care of intermediate services on my own).

Interestingly, I was told Dinan only tracks software and not the rest of the mods by VIN. The dealers need to verify the rest for the badges/plaques and my service advisor has that covered.

Anyhow when the plaque goes on, the badge is coming off and joining the floor mats in storage in the name of stealth (not that there is much stealth with that exhaust and Imola red paint).
:M5thumbs:

·
Banned
300 Posts
Now the S3 is what its all about...just a little pricey :hihi:

Anyone thinking of the $60k upgrade?

·
10,455 Posts
marcvip said:
Now the S3 is what its all about...just a little pricey :hihi:

Anyone thinking of the $60k upgrade?
I think it's "only" $30k if you already have the S2 pkg, around $66k if you don't. Maybe you could sell a few of the S2 parts that are no longer needed to save some money! (like cai and mafs!). And from what i hear, there is already a wait list to get your m5 into dinan for the s3 pkg.
Mike

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
i think you all have to realize that when the newer models vehicles started comming out (e55, or went to 99tt's) alot of people sold their S2's and all..

so there were probably more about a year ago

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine would be unofficial as well.

D III suspension
D software
D CAI's
D front and rear strut bars
I guess I'm a lowly S1.5

Jutty:cheers:

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am almost there myself. Just need to get the throttle bodies and velocity stacks installed(spring time). I like to add the individual components and feel the performance increases as I go. The headers provide the biggest increase thus far, after the differential. Still undecided on the clutch/flywheel setup. I guess I will wait until the OEM one cooks and see what Dinan has to offer for their S3 package or go the UUC route. I had the stage 3 suspension on my 540i and really liked it, but the OEM M5 suspension seems to hold up pretty good when pushing the car. I would welcome comments on the Stage 3 vs. stock setups.:typing:

·
10,455 Posts
mikeoski said:
I am almost there myself. Just need to get the throttle bodies and velocity stacks installed(spring time). I like to add the individual components and feel the performance increases as I go. The headers provide the biggest increase thus far, after the differential. Still undecided on the clutch/flywheel setup. I guess I will wait until the OEM one cooks and see what Dinan has to offer for their S3 package or go the UUC route. I had the stage 3 suspension on my 540i and really liked it, but the OEM M5 suspension seems to hold up pretty good when pushing the car. I would welcome comments on the Stage 3 vs. stock setups.:typing:
I'd love to hear your impressions of the throttle bodies when you get them done. Perhaps you could do a pre and post dyno, as many tuners do not think tb's are worth much on a naturally aspirated engine. For me, if i could get 20whp out of them, i'd go for it!
Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
I installed the Dinan Stage III suspension at 4,000 miles. The differences between the stock setup and the Stage III is unbelievable. The Beast handles like a car that shed 1000 lbs.
I don't track the car, but it is driven fast and hard on the mountain roads of northern Arizona that have every possible road condition.
Next to the 3.45 diff. the suspension is the best mod I've done to this car.

mikeoski said:

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Is there anything special about the Dinan TB's other than that they are larger?? If so, then it would seem a simple thing to get the measurement of the opening and have a machine shop increase the opening. It should cost a fraction of what Dinan charges (although I guess there won't be any warranty on the non Dinan enlarged TB's!!).
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
776 Posts
Dinan also provides matching velocity stacks for the increased diameter of the openings. Their software also accomodates for the increased airflow.:M5launch:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Attached is a photo of the OEM (Left) and Dinan (right) thorttle bodies. You can see the Dinan are bored out. That is the only midification they make to the OEM units.
I also attached a pic of the installed Dinan Velocity stacks on my Beast.

The pics are in this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48757

gsfent said:
Is there anything special about the Dinan TB's other than that they are larger?? If so, then it would seem a simple thing to get the measurement of the opening and have a machine shop increase the opening. It should cost a fraction of what Dinan charges (although I guess there won't be any warranty on the non Dinan enlarged TB's!!).
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
From what I know, and from howlers pictures show...is that dinan does nothing more than machine out 2mm of the diameter of the throttle body housing.

So really they dont even change the throttle bodies, they just change the housings..this is the same thing that they do with the E46 M3's ones too

·
10,455 Posts
gsfent said:
Regards,
Jerry
Jerry, I asked the guys at discovery about this, of course they could get me larger tb's and velocity stacks, but they are not believers that this will really give much power on a N/A M5 (neither is wayne at powerchip or vadim at evosport). It seems dinan and maybe nowack are the only ones who go down this road. Dinan claims 39hp, of course we've never seen an independent test showing what throttle bodies, by themselves, can produce. I'd be a willing test subject, depending on the cost of course... if i could get another 15-20hp i'm all for it...
sorry about the thread hijack Robert!
Mike

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
From what I know, and from howlers pictures show...is that dinan does nothing more than machine out 2mm of the diameter of the throttle body housing.

So really they dont even change the throttle bodies, they just change the housings..this is the same thing that they do with the E46 M3's ones too
OK, so we take off TB's, machine, get a set of velocity stacks and go to a good chip company, ;) , and update the programming. If I can find a spare set of TB's so the car isn't down,I might do it, and then we can somehow circulate the extra set for everyone who wants to do the upgrade so there is minimum downtime.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 33 Posts