BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my Supersprint X-Pipe from Eurosport Design some weeks ago and she arrived just a day before M-Fest! I took a chance and decided on installing the pipe the night before departing to M-Fest:eek:oohhh: Everything for the most part went fairly smooth.

After securing the vehicle (yes on genuine M5 wheels) :haha2:, I had the Supersprint mufflers and oem heat shields off in about 40 mins. After lining up the SS Pipe with the oem pipes, it's easy to see where one needs to make the cut. The X-pipe "slides" over the tubes that the O2 sensor bungs are in. Also, there are tabs on the X-pipe that bolt up to the oem shock bushings, it's fairly straight forward where you need to cut.

I used a Sawsall to make the cuts. After the cut, I smoothed the pipes of any burrs and took some sand paper to the oem pipes to ease installation. "Sliding" the X-Pipe on the oem pipes is no easy task. I had to pound the hell out of them using some 2x4's so no damage would occur. I also used some lube. Once on, I buttoned everything back up and took her for a test drive.

Ahhhh....beautiful noise. In my previous BMW, a DINAN S 540i, I had cans, resonator removed, and high-flow cats. It was loud as hell and I hated it. As you all know, the Supersprint mufflers alone are one of the mildest sounding mufflers you can buy. This was okay for me, but I wanted a little more grumble. With the X-Pipe, this is just perfect for me now. Not police-attracting attention, but a nice deep sound.

Sorry for the low-level photos, they were with my phone-cam. You can see the comparison between the oem pipe and supersprint x-pipe. The oem set-up is quite restrictive.

A little video clip on You Tube is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ8P-oQQmcE

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sounds great, not too loud, not obnoxious... one question though, when you punched it, a great bit of carbon soot shot out... is this typical or are you running extremely rich?

That would be the WD40 in the pipes that I used to get the pipes on. And the fact that it was less than 30 degrees when I cold started her.

No, she doesn't run rich. :cool2:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gotcha... well came together nicely. one more thing did you leave the heatshields out, or did you reinstall them when you put the new cans in?

Reinstalled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts