BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who has heard both exhaust systems comment on the sound differences (tone, loudness, sound from in the car,...)? I have the SuperSprint X pipe and adding the SuperSprint Mufflers would cost less than switching to a full Tubi cat back system. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
the supersprint xpipe back system has a deeper sound than the tubis..they are a more middle tone to upper system... Im not 100% sure on which is louder but neither is going to be that loud. I am inclined to say that the tubis are a slight bit louder but are a little less loud under cruise as they have the resonators in there...

·
10,445 Posts
I have the supersprints with x pipe, and have heard and ridden with people with tubi's. I think the supersprints are definately louder (at least mine are!) and a bit more of a 'muscle car sound' with a bit of a crackle thrown in at high rpm's. The tubi is a bit more exotic, a bit more refined, and seemed pretty quiet, especially at idle. The cost of both systems is pretty similar (especially with daniels sale right now). If I were doing it all over, i don't know which i'd pick, honestly. They have very different sounds, and i like certain aspects of both. I really like larger tips of the supersprints though, and the tubi's seem to stick out a bit far.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
mottati said:
I have the supersprints with x pipe, and have heard and ridden with people with tubi's. I think the supersprints are definately louder (at least mine are!) and a bit more of a 'muscle car sound' with a bit of a crackle thrown in at high rpm's. The tubi is a bit more exotic, a bit more refined, and seemed pretty quiet, especially at idle. The cost of both systems is pretty similar (especially with daniels sale right now). If I were doing it all over, i don't know which i'd pick, honestly. They have very different sounds, and i like certain aspects of both. I really like larger tips of the supersprints though, and the tubi's seem to stick out a bit far.
I agree with the above, but I will have to say that the length of the tip protruding from the bumper of the Tubi exhaust can be adjusted upon installation. I measured the OEM length tips before they were removed. This allowed me to have a base line when installing the Tubi. I would reccommend this for any aftermarket exhaust install. All a good installer needs to do is cut a little off the exhaust pipe before installtion to shorten the length of the tip seen from the bumper.

The original Tubi exhausts 3 years ago had smaller diameter tips than the exhausts being sold today. I believe the diameter is just right for the openings in the bumper. Of course this is a looks issue.

As far as sound, the Tubi will get a slightly deeper tone as time and miles go by. It is an exotic note that becomes a deeper exotic note with time. The only problem is not hearing the full effect while driving. Only those behind get the real music.

Mark

B

·
0 Posts
The Supersprint is a nice system, but the Tubi literally shines! The quality of construction of the Tubi is at a completely different level, and the tone is unique. Also, the Tubi seems to be one of the only M5 exhaust systems to provide noticable improvements in HP and throttle response.

To fully appreciate the Tubi, one must listen to it from outside the car while it is driving by, or to trail a Tubied M5. One can also more readily appreciate the virtues of the Tubi, when passing through a tunnel or under a bridge.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
616 Posts
BeastPower said:
Once can also more readily appreciate the virtues of the Tubi, when passing through a tunnel or under a bridge.

Cheers, Daniel.
Don't I know that!!!! :7:

A few minutes ago, I was driving in a tight street and could feel the rumble bounce off the houses... following that, when a multi-storey car park, I had a Ford RS follow me out to the lights and pull up alongside - asking about the exhaust and complimenting me for it.

Although, I would say it is a bit loud and has a basey rumble between 1400-2000 rpms when cruising - its sound beautiful when driving on the motorway, if you want to cruise it shuts up and lets you cruise - put your foot down and you know it!!

·
Banned
386 Posts
I totally love my tubi... its not super loud but its deep....
I like the looks of the supersprint exhaust though... love those massive tips....
After listening to Mottati's exhaust I really thought mine was louder... but he seems to dissagree... Mike we should do a comparison when we see each other.... (2ms is debating on which one to get too...)
Either way I think you cant go wrong with either one.... both are great systems

·
Registered
616 Posts
BeastPower said:
Also, the Tubi seems to be one of the only M5 exhaust systems to provide noticable improvements in HP and throttle response.
So, are you saying that other aftermarket M5 exhaust systems do not provide any hp/tq gain at all?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
So, are you saying that other aftermarket M5 exhaust systems do not provide any hp/tq gain at all?
For the most part, no. The exception is the Tubi catback system, and the Supersprint with X-pipe, which both yield an estimated 5-10hp. Other exhausts, such as Kellners, Dinan, B&B, etc. won't do anything by themselves besides shed a few pounds. But, if you combine the exhaust with Powerchip the two combined products will show a noticable gain. Or, go a step further to increase breathing of the car and add Dinan CAI and AFM's. The trick to modifying the M5 without headers or differential is to combine products together. An exhaust, CAI, and Powerchip will net you some gains in both power, sound, and throttle response. Modifying the M5 in particular is an expensive gain, but if done correctly will be benefitial.

Travis

·
Registered
616 Posts
M5Kid said:
For the most part, no. The exception is the Tubi catback system, and the Supersprint with X-pipe, which both yield an estimated 5-10hp. Other exhausts, such as Kellners, Dinan, B&B, etc. won't do anything by themselves besides shed a few pounds. But, if you combine the exhaust with Powerchip the two combined products will show a noticable gain. Or, go a step further to increase breathing of the car and add Dinan CAI and AFM's. The trick to modifying the M5 without headers or differential is to combine products together. An exhaust, CAI, and Powerchip will net you some gains in both power, sound, and throttle response. Modifying the M5 in particular is an expensive gain, but if done correctly will be benefitial.

Travis
My undertanding was that combining everything inc weight reduction the TUBI could realistically see 12-15 hp gain at the rear wheels.. I mean around abt 30Kg loss here...

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I think 10-12 hp gain is optimistic. I really can't say that having added a Powerchip and Tubis made any significant difference at all, but the driveability is better and the Tubis sure sound sweet. :M5launch:

B

·
0 Posts
MPRESIV said:
Yes, and the Eisenmann Race/Kelleners will provide -1HP as some have seen. Not a big deal if you like the sound.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Actually the B&B's have shown the greatest torque increases for any exhaust put out for the m5...although the dyno numbers i have seen only go up to 6500 rpm..the low end torque and the middle band hp are a good jump on the S62.

Torque increases of about 15ft-lbs and 5-10hp are found with it...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
Actually the B&B's have shown the greatest torque increases for any exhaust put out for the m5...although the dyno numbers i have seen only go up to 6500 rpm..the low end torque and the middle band hp are a good jump on the S62.

Torque increases of about 15to 20ft-lbs and 5-10hp are found with it...
forgot that because of the tri-flo chamber design...the dyno numbers are strong in the lower and middle range where flow is less restricted due to velocity....once the car is about 4500 the gains start to fall off but the averages are around 6-10 for the hp and about 10-15 for the torque

B

·
0 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
forgot that because of the tri-flo chamber design...the dyno numbers are strong in the lower and middle range where flow is less restricted due to velocity....once the car is about 4500 the gains start to fall off but the averages are around 6-10 for the hp and about 10-15 for the torque
Hey Tri, why the TT avatar?

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can speak from a brand new experience. I have the Powerchip 93 gold in my car and just installed the Tubi's this past week. I noticed a difference in the old butt-o-meter. It definitely improves driveablilty and throttle response. I really like the way the car drives now - it feels like it has way more torque/hp off the line. (With sport button off - it feels like the car used to feel after just pressing the sport button - but when I now engage the sport button - whee-hoo!)

Also just (yesterday) got around to doing the IATS mod. Wow! I am loving this car more everyday! AA CAI is next.

Speedmonkee

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What do you recommend for the stock exhaust M5 system?

Should I keep it or throw it away?

Just wondering what most people do with the old (heavy and large) parts.

Thanks -

1 - 20 of 24 Posts