BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had a chance to compare the two in terms of sound?

The supersprint also has a resonator portion you can buy in addition to the exhaust -- so, for a total of about $1100.

The eisenmann -- not sure on cost; but, if anything like the eisenmann race on my M3 -- it's pretty **** expensive. The eisenmann has 83mm vs. 76 mm of the SS.

I do not expect any power gains from either -- but, in terms of sound, what does it sound like with the 3.6L engine?

TIA

p.s. -- I'll have pics of my u.s. spec one up soon and of the touring I just got last night. I look forward to conversing with you guys. :cheers: If you ever have questions on the E46 M3 (gone through 3 of them), or E36 M3 (gone through 4 of them) -- I can help out. I'll be relying on you guys a lot for E34 advice. :byebye:

·
Registered
840 Posts
NoSoup4U said:

The supersprint also has a resonator portion you can buy in addition to the exhaust -- so, for a total of about $1100.

The eisenmann -- not sure on cost; but, if anything like the eisenmann race on my M3 -- it's pretty **** expensive. The eisenmann has 83mm vs. 76 mm of the SS.

I do not expect any power gains from either -- but, in terms of sound, what does it sound like with the 3.6L engine?

TIA

p.s. -- I'll have pics of my u.s. spec one up soon and of the touring I just got last night. I look forward to conversing with you guys. :cheers: If you ever have questions on the E46 M3 (gone through 3 of them), or E36 M3 (gone through 4 of them) -- I can help out. I'll be relying on you guys a lot for E34 advice. :byebye:
Thought there was a soundclip running around on Eisenhaus' website. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
SS is louder and lighter (weight) than OEM, Eisenmann (various stages)
is even LOUDER !!!
if you do not want the extrem go for SS !
-
power gaines from a none-OEM exhaust is marginal if any -
the E34 M5 already has an optimized exhaust-system -

·
Registered
840 Posts
M5touring reg said:
SS is louder and lighter (weight) than OEM, Eisenmann (various stages)
is even LOUDER !!!
if you do not want the extrem go for SS !
-
power gaines from a none-OEM exhaust is marginal if any -
the E34 M5 already has an optimized exhaust-system -
As far as sound goes, are you judging the Sport or Racing?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
NoSoup4U said:

TIA

------------------

hi there

I have a sound clip from my 3,8 with the SS system to the kat - so I have both silencers rear and mid, if you send me your mail adress I can send the clip to you - it sounds awesome. Let me know what size files I can send as I think the sound clip is quite big around 2gb.

Rgds

J

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have the Supersprint to cats fitted to my 3.6 sounds AWESOME! a little louder than the OE system but not intrusive,I found a little gain from it lower down in the rev. range but then my OE system was pretty sh**ged! Very nice quality system< give CA Automotive a shout, I foud them to be the best price around.

·
Registered
609 Posts
No Soup,

Turnermotorsport has the SS for 1129 and a OEM for 995. I personally own the SS and it is a little louder than stock. You won't be able to tell from inside the car but outside it has a nice rumble. If you want something much louder than stock then I believe BB Triflow is louder and the Eisemann is even louder.

Regards,

·
Registered
132 Posts
From what I know of these exhausts, the SS is a little louder than stock, the Eisenmann sport a little louder than SS, the Eisenmann Race louder still and the B&B Triflow is even louder than all of them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, howzit wylM5. I am a kama'aina.

I did not see anything on B&B's website for a '91 M5 though. I get a much deeper discount with B&B. I actually have the B&B on my touring as well and do not mind the sound. Then again, I only drive that car maybe once a week. I also drive this car maybe once a week.

Does B&B make an exhaust for the E34 M5?

WylM5 -- you got the complete system from SS then, the resonator portion and the exhaust portion, correct?

Mahalo

p.s. - FWIW -- I had the Eisenmann 83mm race exhaust on my E46 M3. It was friggin' LOUD. I mean, REALLY loud. So, I am trying to avoid something like that. My E36 M3 .. from what I hear, is going to hit around 116 db :eek:oohhh: - but, that is being fully built to a race car.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
BURTON said:
Anyone have some pics of a Supersprint on the car? Want to see what the tips look like!

Hi Burton

I have an image in my Car gallery which is pending approval - its a photo taken from my phone camera - so not brilliiant but it clearly shows the SS on my car.

I have other photos but have not had time to download them - let me know if you want some more, I can send them to your mail account - I need 1-2gb though.

Regards
J

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
my mail is taburton @ btinternet.com without the spaces.

Just want it to be as close to stock as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
Fo'Real? Hows dat, another island braddah on the board. So what? I can get some soup now? Ha ha.

Anyway I have never personally heard a B&B Triflow before but have read articles stating that is louder than the SS, I'm not sure if they still make the BB's. My SS is cat back, so it does include the resonators, there is also a race version that is not street legal if memory serves.
If you are going to change it yourself be sure to have a friend around because getting the SS unit together was difficult and it needed a "massage" with a block of wood and a hammer to get the two units together. Also the original exhaust is VERY heavy (I would guess almost twice as heavy) as the SS unit. Don't forget to order new rubber exhaust hangers like I did.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
BURTON said:
my mail is taburton @ btinternet.com without the spaces.

Just want it to be as close to stock as possible.

Thanks
-------------

HI Burton

http://www.m5board.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5574

The photo has been approved but I will send some higher res photos at a few different angles also, to the above mail address.

Regards
Jahangeer

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've just fitted one today coincidentally. Tips are marginally smaller diameter, but a bit longer - in fact I may drop the back box off again to trim the middle section so I can push the rear box further in. Design of tips is pretty understated as they are straight cut, with the edge rolled in - that said I think the originals were a little classier.

I weighed both systems - OE was 31kg, SS 19kg so a useful saving.

Also surprised that despite being lighter, the SS system has a deeper sound, particularly up to about 3000, and none of the tinniness you might expect from a stainless steel system

1 - 20 of 33 Posts