BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing Section One, Section Two and Section Three with a SuparSprint system and I'm having some issues, wondering if anyone may shed some light on this.

So -- The OEM headers connect to the OEM exhaust forward section and CATS, and even though each side is slightly different (left side flange fixed, right side flange floating)... both sides are symmetrical.

Problem is that the SuperSprint "Section One" parts are NOT. Nice 70mm pieces although pretty expensive for what they are... but he RH side is a little bit shorter and does not have the same "kinks" to tuck it up real nice. So took some pictures, and the distributor agreed that there's an issue, sent me a second set, same problem.

Here's the part, except it's the same diameter all the way where it connects to the SuperSprint X-Pipe:

Any insight? Spent an awful lot of time wrestling under the car to try to make this work, waiting for another set, and about to return this one, kind of frustrated and would like to get the car back on the road.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got them because I wanted the 70mm minimum cross section area for the full length, and I also got the section 2 and 3. They are $750 and over priced compared to the other sections even. And very painfully when the RH side is so puzzling on the design and what a pain in the ***. Sent a message to SuperSprint and no response yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have everything lubed with high temp anti seize, deburred and smooth, it rotates and moves fine, but if they look at the angle just on promlem
side rotation is making the drop worse.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I see you have the OEM header. I have the supersprint header and it has separate joint where the primary cat would be that I can swivel to tuck the exhaust up. Really sucks to see poor fit on such expensive part that u can make for 200 or less. If you want to keep it, my usual go to when installing cheaper exhaust is gently jacking up the exhaust with ample padding to not dent the pipe and tightening everything down while the exhaust is tucked up with the hydraulic jack.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the passenger side (RH side) is the floating flange, believe me, I’ve spent a lot of time under the car grunting and moving it into different positions. As far forward as possible is the best situation, and is about as shown. The OEM parts are symmetrical, the SuperSprint RH side is made without the link to tuck it up like the LH side. That’s why I went through the trouble of staging the pictures to demonstrate. I sent some of the pictures to the distributor and they agreed it was probably not made properly and sent me another set, removed the system to lay it out, and it was the same exact situation. The problem with jacking it up is that it twists the x pipe and everything is out of whack. I would guess they sold a lot of these over the last 10 years so I was hoping someone came up with an answer like “mine were the same on both sides” or “mine were the same as yours and I had a shop re-bend” or “both sides I had, hung down like the passenger side, so you have a mismatched set perhaps” or “those don’t fit the OEM headers”... I’d like to know what’s going on here so I can address appropriately. 😐

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, the passenger side (RH side) is the floating flange, believe me, I’ve spent a lot of time under the car grunting and moving it into different positions. As far forward as possible is the best situation, and is about as shown. The OEM parts are symmetrical, the SuperSprint RH side is made without the link to tuck it up like the LH side. That’s why I went through the trouble of staging the pictures to demonstrate. I sent some of the pictures to the distributor and they agreed it was probably not made properly and sent me another set, removed the system to lay it out, and it was the same exact situation. The problem with jacking it up is that it twists the x pipe and everything is out of whack. I would guess they sold a lot of these over the last 10 years so I was hoping someone came up with an answer like “mine were the same on both sides” or “mine were the same as yours and I had a shop re-bend” or “both sides I had, hung down like the passenger side, so you have a mismatched set perhaps” or “those don’t fit the OEM headers”... I’d like to know what’s going on here so I can address appropriately. 😐
I wonder if someone else who has the same pipes can provide pics. I'm also interested in getting a pair but I wanna make sure I don't run into the same issue as you did..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately, trying to improve fitment just makes the whole system very crooked all the way down to the end.

Since replacement Section One parts were the same (LH side excellent fit and RH side terrible fit), and since there's no response so far from Super-Sprint other than them requesting to confirm which other parts were purchased (sent them receipts of Section One, Section Two, and Section Three), and nothing further from them this week... I've run out of patience and fit everything back up as close as I can this afternoon... tightening and loosening and re-tightening while trying to force the fitment to even up all the way down. I will provide an update if something develops, and at this time, I certainly wouldn't recommend a Super-Sprint exhaust due to being both over priced and some components especially over priced while also poor in quality. Few other quality issues besides what I consider a major issue here, but was able to either rework or overlook and forgive all the others... but not this one. :-(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sucks to have issues especially when you paid a premium for it.

I couldn't justify the cost of aftermarket section 1s so made my own.

Sources used section 1 that already had the cats cut off. Ordered custom transition pipes and had them welded:

Hope not to run into fitment issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sucks to have issues especially when you paid a premium for it.

I couldn't justify the cost of aftermarket section 1s so made my own.

Sources used section 1 that already had the cats cut off. Ordered custom transition pipes and had them welded:

Hope not to run into fitment issues.

Thank you for sharing as Im sorta in the same situation about section 1. Was going to do the same with factory units but my main issue is the bent section after the inlet flange. It has a noticeable reduction in diameter. Thats why my only option was aftermarket or have one custom made with welded mandrel bent sections.
Screenshot_20191111-120625.jpg

·
Registered
267 Posts
The reduction is insignificant in my opinion. Here are some measurements from double wall:

Well that reinforces my reason to go custom pipes in terms of consistency with my supersprint section 2. Or just go full system. Not really sure if its worth spending hundreds or thousands of dollars though. Already having a blast with my current setup with fams tune. Might rather spend it on a new wheel and tire setup and suspension dial up that Im planning.. 🤔

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks good, I also have a full system with stock Section 1 straightpiped also, wanted to up the diameter to 70mm all the way for the supercharged setup. Took a lot a lot of time and money to get there with poor results from my perspective.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you have pictures of the Supersprint section 2? I assume you have the 70mm version of it as well?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts