BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Company Representative for Supersprint
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The race mufflers for the M5 are now on the plane. Due to arrive in 5 days (give or take) We have a limited supply arriving by air, and a second batch arriving by sea. (about 5 weeks) The are the light weight units we mentioned at X-mas. The differencee are lighter construction, smaller cans, and deeper sound.
Pricing will be slightly higher than the street versions.

Here are the specs.
Here the weight chart:

1) 044206 Rear muffler, right OO 70....................Kg 6.30/13.8 pounds
2) 044236 Rear muffler, left OO 70......................Kg 6.30/13.8 pounds
1) 044209 Rear muffler, right oval
2) 044239 Rear muffler, left oval

3) 786813 X-Pipe ...............................................Kg 6.20/13.6 pounds

The SS cat-back exhaust weighs a grand total of 18.80 Kg, which provides a huge saving over the stock exhaust cat-back system, and a nice, deep V8 sound.
If chosen for road use, we suggest to only use this SS X-pipe and SS race mufflers set-up, in conjunction to the stock headers + cats.
If the SS headers + metallic cats are used, the best sounding rear mufflers to be used with the SS x-pipe are the SS road legal mufflers, part no. 786826 + 786846.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
So is a Supersprint header/cats/new lightweight x-pipe/new mufflers street legal?

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

01M5

Thank you for the inquiry. I do not have any sounds clips available right now. This system will be here shortly(next week) and I will work on getting it fitted on a US car with OEM header/catalysts and get some clips available. Chris

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Chris,

Wow, finally someone gets off their butts and makes some really light weight mufflers for the m5. I know that my B&B's from a while ago were the lightest on the market but now these seem to be in the lead.

Now if someone would just make some TI mufflers for it...id be sold.

great news though.

Any reasoning behind the recommendation on the stock headers, cats, SS xpipe and these new mufflers? Just for sound reasoning?

·
Registered
330 Posts
What is the HP gains with the Race version rear mufflers and Race Xpipe?

Or is it the same just saving some more weight?

I have the Kelleners w/ Xpipe currently and thinking of going Tubi or Race Tubi after i see some numbers on the Race Tubi. Im hearing the Tubi catback is around 7-10 HP? What can i expect from the SS Race?

Im pretty disatsified w/ Kelleners and Xpipe performance even though it sounds nice.

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

SC'dKellenersM5

These will be pretty exciting, very light weight with an aggressive note. TI is a neat metal but it gets brittle from heat cycling, making it a risky choice for long term street exhaust components. TI is great for eking out that last bit of weight on formula cars that are able to discard the exhaust after each event, but not ideal for road use. The sounds volume for the head back system would be pretty high, great for those who are looking for that. A more conservative people might opt for the x pipe and race mufflers only for an aggressive note but still streetable. Chris

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Gorilla Beast

Performance will be very similar between the street version and race version mufflers. The race mufflers will offer a significant weight savings though and provide more engine feed back for the driver. Chris

Street mufflers 786826 and 786846

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Re: 3

Supersprint said:
Tin

The full system would most likely exceed your local sound DB restrictions. In the US we do not have this complication in most areas. How do you like the oval tips? I think they will follow the lines of the car quite nicely. Chris
Here in the US - particularly CA- we do have other legal restrictions, no?

Is it street legal in CA?

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

ard

You should check your local regulations for sound decibel level restrictions. These race mufflers will exceed the OEM decibel level but if this is your only exhaust modification you should be ok. They will provide a deep smooth tone with an aggressive note under hard acceleration. Chris

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Did I miss something? Are these race mufflers and available direct or thru dealers?

·
Registered
330 Posts

ard said:
Here in the US - particularly CA- we do have other legal restrictions, no?

Is it street legal in CA?
Really the argument is all about the decibel level.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c5a2.htm

This vehicle code 27151 (link is below) is the one CHP and other police use most commonly when writing tickets for having "modified exhaust" which is actually a ploy and part of the racket to make the State of Calif. more money

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm

The law is 95 Decibels level being measured at 1 foot back at a 45 degree angle. If you get pulled over for exhaust in Calif., ask the peace officer these questions:

1: Does he or she have a meter to read decibels
2: Is he or she certified and authorized to read it if they even have one which they never do have a meter anyways.

Usually they are dumbfounded you actually know more than them, and let you go with a warning since we are such huge troublemakers.

Also keep in mind there is a secret quota with CHP. 5 tickets a day if you are on patrol in a car. You come under that amount its refleceted in your performance evaluation. Kinda sucks if you want to get promoted one day.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts

Gorilla Beast said:
Really the argument is all about the decibel level.

I knew about the dbs... it is my understanding that if you get a ticket, you can have the level measured and get out of the ticket if it complies...

But for some reason I thought that exhaust modifications needed to be certified by the state of CA to be smog compliant. Not noise but emissions....

·
10,455 Posts

ard said:
I knew about the dbs... it is my understanding that if you get a ticket, you can have the level measured and get out of the ticket if it complies...

But for some reason I thought that exhaust modifications needed to be certified by the state of CA to be smog compliant. Not noise but emissions....
Cat back systems are ok, i believe. I'm not aware of the specific decible level for a street legal exhaust, but laguna seca has a limit of 92-94db, i believe!
Mike

B

·
0 Posts

mottati said:
Cat back systems are ok, i believe. I'm not aware of the specific decible level for a street legal exhaust, but laguna seca has a limit of 92-94db, i believe!
Mike
As a point of reference, I drove my M5 at Laguna Seca with the Eisenmann Race exhaust, Supersprint X-pipe and the Dinan headers, and was clocked at around 98 decibles. I had to get off the gas under the bridge so as to not set off the sound meter.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
330 Posts

ard said:

No never heard of this but I may be wrong? I have had cat back exhausts on several cars and passed smog fine. I had an SVT Lightning with Bassani race headers, race cats, and race exhaust. It failed w/ the race cats on, i put stock cats and left on headers and race exhaust and passed with flying colors, being extremely clean. I have never heard of any law stating you must go get a smog emissions test if you modify your exhaust. This would be like telling on yourself so the state government can brand you and your car in some computer. If you are scared you may fail your smog tell your smog mechanic to run a pretest. It wont show in the system to brand you as having failed.

I dont see why this car would fail with the stock cats in it. With racing cats associated with other exhaust mods then yes you probably need to put back to stock for your smog check or know someone special :biggrin: .

Keep in mind there a couple counties here in Calif that are smog exempt. So if you live close to there u may want to get a PO Box in that county for your DMV mail if you plan on some heavy mods.

I know you can go get a decibel level test and they give you a state certificate, i got one for another vehicle since the cop gave me a BS ticket for modified exhaust. I took the certificate to court, the judge laughed and dismissed the exhaust ticket.

·
10,455 Posts

Gorilla Beast said:
Keep in mind there a couple counties here in Calif that are smog exempt. So if you live close to there u may want to get a PO Box in that county for your DMV mail if you plan on some heavy mods.

Come on gorilla, you can't leave us hanging there, what are the counties!
Mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts