BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just ordered a centre and back box for the 3.6!

I was going to go for the Eisenmann but I find its well too pricey for just a back box. Also I know the Supersprint isnt overly loud.

Lets get it on and see what its like!

I will be getting the tail pipes changed to 83mm straight design though as I'm not keen on the supersprint ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
Cyrus said:
Just ordered a centre and back box for the 3.6!

I was going to go for the Eisenmann but I find its well too pricey for just a back box. Also I know the Supersprint isnt overly loud.

Lets get it on and see what its like!

I will be getting the tail pipes changed to 83mm straight design though as I'm not keen on the supersprint ones.
Thats whats on mine,I cant fault it. Bulid,fit and sound is excellent! As you say i would rather have the factory look tailpipes, a little more classy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Cyrus said:
Just ordered a centre and back box for the 3.6!

I was going to go for the Eisenmann but I find its well too pricey for just a back box. Also I know the Supersprint isnt overly loud.

Lets get it on and see what its like!

I will be getting the tail pipes changed to 83mm straight design though as I'm not keen on the supersprint ones.
Bro, you should have gotten the Eisenmann. I eliminated the resonator, put in a set of straight pipes back to the box and its sounds awesome. It is not loud. What you have to do is get the sport version, not the race version. The race version is 3 times louder!!! The salesperson kept saying to me, you want the race version, right? Three times, at least. Those baffled exhaust pipes look so cool and I'm already used to the 83mm size. It does even look big anymore. Driving the M5 with the Eisenmann is now a symphony of sound! :M5launch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Eisenmann is also very very expensive compared to the Supersprint.

I dont think one is better than the other, they are just different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Cyrus said:
The Eisenmann is also very very expensive compared to the Supersprint.

I dont think one is better than the other, they are just different.
I investigated that. Cost plus installation was $1,000 US as opposed to $1,500 US for the Supersprint. That is the main reason I went with Eisenmann. Maybe it depends where you are. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the new system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
Brad Simpson said:
I investigated that. Cost plus installation was $1,000 US as opposed to $1,500 US for the Supersprint. That is the main reason I went with Eisenmann. Maybe it depends where you are. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the new system.
I weighed up the cost factor when buying mine,the Eisenmann worked out nearly half as much money again! Apparently the way to go is the supersprint resonator and then the Eisenmann rear box?
Bought mine from CA Auto. Cyrus where is yours coming from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Eisenmann was £565 + delivery + welding to fit.

The Supersprint was £567.78 for the back box and centre section.

Lets see how it all sounds, its arriving today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Supersprint arrived today.........with a big massive dent in the back box. Supplier tried to tell me its meant to have a dent but I told him to F off because in the catalogue its nice and round everywhere.

Over the weekend I took off my other exhaust and also read through about what Farrel said about how good the standard system is. My original is in such good condition its unreal so IM keeping it. Its just too nice to get rid of!

So, I will be staying stock but I am going to get the cats removed anyway. Lets see how that sounds and goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
It is meant to have a depressed bit on towards the front of the back box (if you know what I mean) on the left hand side to clear the shields under the wheelarch - you're not thinking of that are you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, this had a massive dent at the back of it. Still, sent it back and getting refund.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt accept the parcel from postage guy. I put on the slip that its damaged and Im refusing it. They will use their insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
Cyrus said:
I didnt accept the parcel from postage guy. I put on the slip that its damaged and Im refusing it. They will use their insurance.
My first one was all beat up due to sloppy couriers (Tos##rs!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Cyrus how did you get one with keeping the standard one and removing the cats?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I havent done anything to the exhaust yet. I sent the Supersprint back and got a refund.

I have however been speaking to BTB exhausts about M5 systems. They used to make them a while back when the E34 was still young.

His comments on the exhaust was that it was very very restrictive and anything like a supersprint would benefit performance.

BTB seem to know their stuff from the other work they do and the work they do on touring cars. he might be wrong on this one as Farrell says its a very good design and very free flowing.

I will be getting another exhaust in the future but it will 100% be an Eisenmann and I will remove the cats as that will most definatelty do something for performance. Anyone that has removed the cats has always come back and said it makes a difference on the arse dyno.

Removing the cats is very very easy if you go to a good exhaust fabricator like Long life.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
Cyrus said:
.
His comments on the exhaust was that it was very very restrictive and anything like a supersprint would benefit performance.

BTB seem to know their stuff from the other work they do and the work they do on touring cars. he might be wrong on this one as Farrell says its a very good design and very free flowing.
.

Hi Cyrus
Thanks for your pm which I will speak to you about a little later as have had a flash flood to deal with over the weekend & all the crap that goes with it.

I know we have walked this path before but it does seem a strange statement for BTB to make.

The system on the M5 is basically an optimised item from the 750i.
The manifold is a bespoke & an out & out race item with tuned length headers designed for optimum exhaust scavenge & pulse separation.
Why stick a restrictive system on the back of that when so much work was done to tune flow & back pressure numbers ?
More outright power may indeed be gained at the expense of airborne noise & direct transfer of noise into the floor but where is the power gain made & where are the mid range losses going to occur ?

A race system has different requirements to a road system.
For a start, max rpm & therefore max gas flow is not always required.

The std item does a lot very well.
Many systems made by the aftermarket do not have the legislative issues either. That still does not stop them from quoting peak power gains whilst neglecting to mention the midrange loss caused by larger diameter intermediate pipes or even a change in the shape of a muffler.

That said, there are a couple of systems that appear to be well developed & when you consider the cost of O/E then you cant always blame people for going for a stainless system that promises even greater durability.

Not conclusive but my 2p

Farrell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Farrell,

sorry to hear about the flooding, hope everyone is ok.


I think BTB were referring to the Cats and the back box only, they did say the manifold was a work of art.
He did also mention that once the exhaust was changed to a so called high flow exanple they found mapping was required especially in the mid range.

He said the use of bigger bore pipes was a big no no aswell for road use as this would lose bottom end power.

Eisenmann and Supersprint seem to have devloped their systems properly and I doubt they would reduce power.

On the 3.6 models the standard exhaust is just too quiet, it makes hardly any noise at all and it really makes the car feel a bit boring so going for the above mentioned exhausts really would to the driving experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
farrell said:
That said, there are a couple of systems that appear to be well developed & when you consider the cost of O/E then you cant always blame people for going for a stainless system that promises even greater durability.

Not conclusive but my 2p

Farrell
Cost is defintely a factor in my choice as at present time cash is tight. The difference in cost will cover 3months driving at present fuel prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you get Eisenmann over in the states?

Let us know what the prices are, might be able to beat them even with delivery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Cyrus said:
Do you get Eisenmann over in the states?

Let us know what the prices are, might be able to beat them even with delivery.
Yes, Eisenhaus has them for $996 with shipping (jeeez way to much$$) I paid $570 for mine 2 years ago, Unfortunately my Eisen is long gone.
I think I'll go for Stebro this time ;)
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top