BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to hear another car with the SS headers to see if my install is just shieit, or if i want to just take them out and crush them...Before i go through all the work of pulling the whole system and reinstalling it right (like none of the indies have been able to do) I want to see if they really should sound like this (I am pretty certain they shouldn't)...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Perhaps you could elaborate on what they sound like? Or provide video? Either or....try to explain! I have SS headers + muffler delete so I can offer some insight

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can go see Walter Ford at Valley Motorwerks in Rancho Cordova..Not too far of a drive for you. My car is there at the moment & my headers were installed last week. He sent me a video clip & the car sounds great.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only about a six hour drive...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I t ticks *LEAKS* on moderate acceleration and deceleration; Been to Avus, Autosport, and M shop (who were actually pretty straight up saying they didn't want to take on the job) to no avail...For what I've spent chasing this problem i could almost have sent the car to dinan and had the good stuff installed right...

I want to hear a correctly fitted SS system to see what it sounds like, then make the decision about taking mine off and reinstalling it correctly (which none of the above did even though requested) MYSELF *or* just live with the Sh$tty sound until some dinans come up, or go back to stock.

I WISH I never did this mod...

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
what gaskets did they use on your system? does it tick on all the ports or just on some? because you need 1 different gasket for cil3and4 for bank 1 (passengers side)

maybe they switched them up womewhere and installed them wrong.

also the supersprint company boss visits the board once and awhile, maybe contact him directly and complain to him.

try too post a vid iff you can , now we just trow worthless suggestions

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm trying to fix my leaky SS system too. Mine are leaking where the collectors meet the cat pipes. I need to get the collectors to slide up about another inch and hopefully then the cat pipes will line up and seal. I too am very sick of this.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I WISH I never did this mod...
Before you give up, please contact SS. They have been able to send out newer parts to JCM55555 to correct his issue, and although they have not helped me directly with my separate issue, I think it's only fair to contact them. They seem to stand by their work and probably would not have any issue sending you newer, better fitting parts, free of cost. Please start there.

If you were closer to me, I would love to show you what a properly installed SS header sounds like.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have SS headers and SS Magnum exhaust. Cats and resonator are stock. I`m sure i have no leaks around headers, but there is some ticking that can be heared (only if i drive along wall or something) esspacially when decelerating. Its because SS headers are "singlewall" (stock doublewalled). I think Dinan`s are the only ones aftermarket doublewalled? From my experience after header install - sound from outside of car was a disappointment, but from inside music to my ears.

listen to this:
YouTube - M5 E39

This is how a full system sounds. Personaly too much for me.

Karl

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On further thought, the lower part of the exhaust will have to come out for the inevitable clutch, and already seeping rear main seal...I'll just live with it until I work up the courage to attack that job and will count on basically rebuilding the whole exhaust system at that time...I guess i'll get all the seals AGAIN from SS, but count on checking and replacing them myself instead of a mechanic who couldn't care less about doing good work...

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you ever get your headers fixed, could I check out your car?
I'm thinking about eventually putting SS headers in mine.
I drive down to San Pedro every now and then to visit my friends at Marymount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts