BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to somehow install the top spring on my SS headers that 3 indie mechanics have neglected to do: The first was the scummy installer:haha2:, the second was one charged with fixing the things who didn't feel like it:grrrrr:, and the third (like the second) figured i wouldn't notice the missing top spring and said that there was nothing more that could be done to fix the cold leak(s):mad:...

Is there a trick or a tool or some sort of very strong italian words i could use to get these two springs (yes both sides) on? Seems like that would be the FIRST spring to go on...

ANY help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
221 Posts
They are a PiTA to get on, but doable. A screwdriver (held horizontally) to pull & hold the spring as close as possible to where it has to go, and a long-nose pliers to pull it into place. (Patience and strong hands)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good advice from E55AMG2 and from BlueThunder.
Use a hook-type spring puller.
Extend the spring first, and direct the end into the slot at the same time, with the help of a tire iron, or similar.
It may take 4 hands, to have it done, safely.
Wear the proper hand and eye protection.
The shop guys, here at our factory, can install those springs while holding a cup of espresso in one hand; but they do use some strong (italian) words all the time, regardless.

Alessandro Gilli
Supersprint
Italy

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was actually thinking of using a piece of high strength line (rope) on the upper end (engine side) and having an assistant pull like hell from the engine side (after creatively leading the line through all the interferences) after hooking the lower end and trying to guide the upper spring onto its perch.

I have plenty of very strong vectran and spectra high tech yacht line that is probably stronger than the spring itself...3mm is good for 930 lb...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually thinking about it, if i were clever, i would dead end one end up at the exhaust ports, double back or maybe quadruple back with the line and form some purchase on the thing!

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
They are a PiTA to get on, but doable. A screwdriver (held horizontally) to pull & hold the spring as close as possible to where it has to go, and a long-nose pliers to pull it into place. (Patience and strong hands)
This is how my mech did it, with a helper (4 hands). 5 years, 50k miles and never a leak.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I just finished installing the supersprint headers springs on my car, and thought I'd post up what I did for anyone else who attempts this in the future.

Following Tortuga's advice in this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...894-victory-got-all-my-ss-header-springs.html You have to install the front of the springs upside down by attaching them facing the wrong way, then spinning them around 180 degrees pointing back properly, this allows you to hook them from the top.

For all but the top spring, use a large screwdriver slipped through the hook and then leveraged against the destination plate, then just pry the spring forward, and it will eventually catch the plate, then you can just tap it over into the hole.

For the top springs, I took a large screwdriver then used my bench grinder to notch a V in the side of the end. This allows you to hook the spring so it can't slip off, then it's just a matter of using 2 hands to pull the screwdriver perpendicular to the spring until the spring is in position.

Reactions: havasusteve03Beast
1 - 10 of 10 Posts