BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've mentioned in a few other threads, I'll be dropping my car off at EvoSport today to have the following installed:

1. SuperSprint Headers
2. SuperSprint Cats
3. SuperSprint Xpipe
4. SuperSprint Muffler
5. H&R Springs

We will be hooking up to the dyno to do a baseline run at 5pm today. I'll be heading from there to LAX to leave for a business trip. I get back late Thursday, so I'm hoping it will be done by Friday.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to post baseline dyno results and pics of the parts (had them shipped directly to EvoSport from TMS) when I get into lovely Folsom, CA tonight.

As a side note, as I posted in the thread "Wider Tires!" I'm getting a tiny bit of rub under heavy compression in EDC Comfort on the very outside edge of the driver's side rear tire when the trunk is loaded, so I'll be pulling my Dinan's off and putting my stock wheels on for the suspension set up. I will deal with trimming the wheel wells once I get the car back after it's lowered.

Cheers.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Makes me wish I purchased instead of leasing. :confused: Let us hear how sweet it sounds: post a clip of the exhaust when you are done.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Ian -- you are the man!! Very ambitious upgrades. I can't wait to hear the results. As far as I know -- on the board at least -- you are the first one that will have the full SS setup, right? Can't wait to hear the full report. The guys at Evo are great.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ALTANertive - ECU tuning will come a little down the road. I want to wait a while for two reasons, 1) give the ECU a chance to self correct a bit based on the new setup and 2) see what develops from the tuners. It will also be nice to see what differences tuning can really make with this set up.

Scooby... I bought mine, but I plan on keeping all of the OEM parts; no cutting to remove anything, so I can return to stock set up when it's time to part. I have a feeling my next car will be an M6 Cab. The headers and cats are identical for the M6, so I may just end up doing a transplant.

jfenley - Thanks, but I wouldn't go as far as 'the man'; just a jerk with too much time on his hands and sickness for cars. As far as I know this will be the first complete SS setup in the US, though someone got everything but the cats done at TMS and Will Turner will be doing (or has already started on ) his M5 shortly.

Everyone, thanks for the encouragement. Updates to come. I'll be walking out the door in a bit.

Cheers.

--Ian

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Please try to get video and sound for the before and after dyno's! Can't wait to hear the symphony from your beast!

·
Registered
62 Posts
being new to the whole super car thing, I wonder: What are new headers and exhaust supposed to acomplish, exactly?
Is it the reduced resistence to outflow of the exhaust that increases the car's power? (torque or hp, increase at bottom or top of rpm etc...)
I realize everyone is waiting for the dynos, but what is generally expected from such a mod, or is much of the appeal the change in sound?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Your setup sounds stupendous! I'll really look forward to the before/after dyno plots. That will really be the first time anyone with significant mods has done this, and I'm sure a lot of us will be eagerly awaiting the results. The thing I like about the headers/exhaust is you shouldn't have a problem with warranty, and I'll bet you get some real HP!

·
Registered
81 Posts
PPG4 said:
As I've mentioned in a few other threads, I'll be dropping my car off at EvoSport today to have the following installed:

1. SuperSprint Headers
2. SuperSprint Cats
3. SuperSprint Xpipe
4. SuperSprint Muffler
5. H&R Springs
Hey PPG4: Can you watch for the following things:

(1) Please post a video of the sound after the install. I have Eisenmann exhausts and decided against the Supersprint X-pipe (resonator delete) with the Headers and Race Cats. I hated the sound (not to mention that it was horribly louder and untuned) after installing the X-Pipe, and so I had it removed. I wander if the overall sound will be cleaner using a complete SuperSprint system.

(2) Where did you get the extensions for the second set of cat sensors? Or is EvoSport making the modifications during the install?

(3) I will be curious to know if your M5 goes into a "limp-mode" after you do the before test.

Three of the M5 cars we dynoed in Las Vegas had that problem, and so I'm curious to figure out what we did or did not do to cause it. (This happened before we even touched the ECU).

(4) I am interested to watch for the dyno after. Supersprint has said that the increase is 59hp. I wander if this is based on a U.K M5 and may have something to do with the octane difference?

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
lawrencew83 said:
Congrats on being the first M5 /w full supersprint setup!!!

I'm curious on how it sounds (think it will be awesome, though)..

:)
He's not the first....
There is one sitting at Turner Motorsports already completed.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Too tired to post anything lengthy...

I'll preface with the following advice: If you want to ever dyno a US E60 M5, do not let the dealer update your software. More info tomorrow after some sleep.

·
Registered
151 Posts
drewzMMM said:
He's not the first....
There is one sitting at Turner Motorsports already completed.
I thought he was the first one, though..

In that case, he's gonna be the first one with full supersprint setup in San Diego then.. hahaha :clap::clap::D:D

Nice achievement, PPG4!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Ouch, problems on the dyno? :confused:

PPG4 said:
Too tired to post anything lengthy...

I'll preface with the following advice: If you want to ever dyno a US E60 M5, do not let the dealer update your software. More info tomorrow after some sleep.

·
Registered
587 Posts
lvegaskiwi said:
(3) I will be curious to know if your M5 goes into a "limp-mode" after you do the before test.

Three of the M5 cars we dynoed in Las Vegas had that problem, and so I'm curious to figure out what we did or did not do to cause it. (This happened before we even touched the ECU).

Can you please elaborate on this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Two M5's would not MOVE at all (allow us to select "D" drive or "R" reverse) when it was time to reverse-off the dyno machine (roller). We each got an error message and so the DMS tech had to use his equipment to reset the computer (it took about 2-3 mins for the DMS tech to do whatever it was he did).

One M5 did NOT get the error message nor did it go into the "limp- mode". We guessed that it may have had something to do with him selecting the "D" drive gear and driving slightly forward BEFORE selecting the "R" reverse gear, when it was time for him to reverse-off the dyno machine.

Since that day, I have not wanted to dyno my car again! I asked PPG4 to keep me posted on this issue so I could determine whether or not our incident was an isolated one.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts