BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

How much louder is your car (V10 M5/M6) with SuperSprint or Hamann headers?

• Sorry, I've gone deaf and couldn't hear the question. Could you repeat it?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Significantly louder- the neighbors hate me even more now.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Louder, but not overwhelming. Sounds the way a 500hp BMW should.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • A little louder- my wife didn't even notice.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No noticeable change.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searches, and I've found a few comments that people thought the headers weren't too loud. Thought I would post a poll to try to get one post with a collection of responses.

This is only asking about how much louder the headers are.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It all depends on the other work you do to your exhaust. If you keep your other sections stock and add headers, you will hardly notice a difference. The mufflers are the biggest culprit of db increase so if you stick to either stock or something mild like the SS Sport you will notice a difference but no where near that of if you had an Eisenmann muffler on.

I currently have SS headers with stock mid sections and SS Sport exhaust and it is very mild compared to others.

BTW, before my install of the headers I was very worried it would be too loud for the wifey but she honestly never noticed the difference.

Here is a video with my setup: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MLAkzpO3vlU

Cheers ///

·
Registered
836 Posts
6speed,
I friggin' love it. That's up there with Parkcitytom's M5( Dinan exhaust, Evo headers and stock midsection). I like the s85 with headers and free flow exhaust but stock sections 1 and 2. Yours is a little more restrained than Tom's was, I think I like it even better.
I've read more than once here that headers added to an aftermarket exhaust will produce less dB increase than adding Sections 1 and 2 to the exhaust. Plus I think it sounds better and gets you more HP.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
6speed,
I friggin' love it. That's up there with Parkcitytom's M5( Dinan exhaust, Evo headers and stock midsection). I like the s85 with headers and free flow exhaust but stock sections 1 and 2. Yours is a little more restrained than Tom's was, I think I like it even better.
I've read more than once here that headers added to an aftermarket exhaust will produce less dB increase than adding Sections 1 and 2 to the exhaust. Plus I think it sounds better and gets you more HP.
True. I'm currently running header with straigt midpipe and aftermarket muffler, and it sound too raspy with no distinct tone/exhaust note. Not plesant. All the exhaust note gone. In addition, the car feel like turbo lag at low-end, but strong at top-end. I'm putting back stock midsection back soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts