BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally added the SuperSprint Exhaust to my car. I've had the X-Pipe for over a year, and liked the way it sounded, but the car was still pretty quiet. I was concerned over the loudness of the SuperSprint exhaust addition, but finally gave in.

Executive Summary:
Vibration at 3k rpm GONE! Very happy about that.
Hesitation on throttle blip GONE!
Sound is deeper, louder, but no resonance inside the cabin
Beautiful exhaust, beautiful sound!!!

Detailed Summary:
Aw, screw the detailed summary, I'm going driving :M5launch:

:cheers:

·
10,445 Posts
sounds good Jeff, we'll have to compare sounds at our next lunch/meet, i've probably got about 18k on my system, it seems a bit loudder than it used to.
Mike

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
mottati said:
sounds good Jeff, we'll have to compare sounds at our next lunch/meet, i've probably got about 18k on my system, it seems a bit loudder than it used to.
Mike
Louder? Uh, Oh... :hihi: I guess the neighbors will REALLY hate me now...

Let me know where and when...I'll be there. :M5thumbs:

Oh, and by the way, Mike, you're partially to blame for my SS exhaust. You car sounds GREAT!!!

·
10,445 Posts
M-Fünf said:
Louder? Uh, Oh... :hihi: I guess the neighbors will REALLY hate me now...

Let me know where and when...I'll be there. :M5thumbs:

Oh, and by the way, Mike, you're partially to blame for my SS exhaust. You car sounds GREAT!!!
Jeff, i wanted to ask, is the SES light taken care of? What was the cause?

As for louder, i still don't think it's too loud, although a few weeks ago (when leaving early for the sears point drivers school) my neighbor across the street asked me if i had left the house at 6am that morning!
Mike

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mottati said:
Jeff, i wanted to ask, is the SES light taken care of? What was the cause?

As for louder, i still don't think it's too loud, although a few weeks ago (when leaving early for the sears point drivers school) my neighbor across the street asked me if i had left the house at 6am that morning!
Mike
Mike, The SES situation is fixed. When they fitted the exhaust, they disconnected all the O2 sensors. After they were done and connnected them, the SES light came on as soon as we started the car. I read out the codes and there was an O2 sensor failure. I reset the faults, and it hasn't shown up again. I didn't write down the fault code in my notebook (normally I would...must have been in a hurry).

Unfortunately, the morning is when the exhaust is the LOUDEST, and when I pull out of the garage, it sounds like I'm in a tunnel. I'm sure it won't be long before the neighbor is out there grrrrrrr

·
Registered
48 Posts
Excellent choice. Now you need the supersprint headers for even better sound and performance!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Congrats on the new exhaust Jeff. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I spoke too soon about the SES light. It went on while I was driving home last night. The fault code was P0050 and P0056. From the Auterra book, that code is "HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 2).

I'm guessing that something is not connected properly under the car. I'm going to call the shop and have them take a look...

On another note, it's getting really cold here. I love this cold, dense air, and so does the M5 :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
I recently added the Supersprints to an existing X pipe set up and I am very happy with it too. Not to loud, but just right. It sounds great from outside the car.

I have never had one of the SES check engine lights come on. I am not sure there is any relationship between the new mufflers and your seeing the warning light.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Excellent Jeff :cool2:

It is very common for the SES light to come on after new exhausts are fitted. It is usually the Lambda Sensors; replace those and the SES light will go out for good.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Ashok.

I reset the DTC's again last night, but we're in the 3er today, so I'll wait until tomorrow to see if they show up again. The shop told me to bring it back if they still pop up and they'll double check the connections, etc. They're a bit puzzled as well since everything they touched was "downstream" from the O2's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
im glad you like our exhaust. all of our designs are complete flow through, shotgun resonator designs with a high quality rock-wool packing. this is why you get all the performance of straight pipes but w/o all the noise. Probably expalins why the most of our customers are more of the "mature end users", like BMW and Mercedes. And in reguards to the SES light problems above, if this continues, go to www.O2simulator.com and purchase some MIL sensors that trick the computor into thinking everything is stock. Will help with inspections too.

Jason

·
Registered
251 Posts
Jason @ Supersprint

Can you comment on any Dyno results with the x-pipe and full exhaust for the M5? How much HP,torque does it add.

Also can you comment on your resonator design ( straight x-pipe) as compared to the Tubi x-pipe with the small resonators built into it? Is one better than the other, is Tubi's design all about a unique sound?

·
Registered
6 Posts
2002m5BGM said:
Jason @ Supersprint

Can you comment on any Dyno results with the x-pipe and full exhaust for the M5? How much HP,torque does it add.

Also can you comment on your resonator design ( straight x-pipe) as compared to the Tubi x-pipe with the small resonators built into it? Is one better than the other, is Tubi's design all about a unique sound?
Sure, with our "block back system", you are looking at 30hp and 28fptq.

I believe the Tubi system has resonators in it, whereas ours doesnt. The Tubi system will be more restrictive b/c of the added resonator. They have to do this to quiet the car down. Supersprint already has a queiter muffler so the resonators are not needed.
The Tubi sound will be more "Hi-Pitched" than the Low, Throaty Growl of the Supersprint.
Supersprint really goes the extra way to make sure all Piping Diameters and Hanger Locations are to factory specs, making it one of the easiest systems to install.
All Supersprint resonators (mufflers) are of the flow through "Shotgun" resonated design. This means each unit has no chambers or baffles to reduce velocity. Simply, a straight through in & out design! The internal components are 100% stainless steel with a high heat resistant rock wool sound suppressing material, not found in any other systems. This is the reason we can offer you sound legal performance exhaust systems. Tubing is always mandrel bent for maximum flow. Flanges and hangers are O.E. or better quality for a perfect fit every time. Housings are all manufactured from 1.5mm material that is M.I.G. welded at all seams. The stainless systems are 100% 304 stainless, the mild steel systems are aluminized on the inside and out, then black heat coated for corrosion prevention.
Id say our system is more than better.
thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
with our "block back system", you are looking at 30hp and 28fptq
That's the most optimistic claim I've ever seen for changing only the X-pipe and mufflers on an M5, and several members here have posted their dyno results. Do you have dyno results you can post? Several members here have the full Supersprint X-pipe and muffler sets and their cars certainly don't feel 30 hp stronger. :confused2

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe "block back" means everything from the engine "block" which would include headers.

No?

·
10,445 Posts
M-Fünf said:
I believe "block back" means everything from the engine "block" which would include headers.

No?
I think so too, headers, cats, x pipe and mufflers.
Mike

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Ah. Well, that makes better sense. ouich

1 - 20 of 29 Posts