BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,
This forum has been awesome for doing maintenance on my 06 M5 daily driver.

Inspired by the sweet song of this V10 I’m building a project with a 26k mile donor S85 motor in my Superlite SLC Kit car

Well, I’m currently having a rough idle issue and a strong knock on Bank 1 (left side of the motor).
Check out this YouTube video of the sound.

I’ve already inspected the Vanos pump and replaced the internal Vanos line when I replaced the rod bearings. I’ve also bench tested the Vanos solenoids And they are clicking, but I’m not sure that is a valid test.

Im also running the engine on a stand-alone ecu - the Scs Delta 880. So I’m not sure if I can read Vanos codes haing

Take a listen and let me know what you think!
FEB2E844-AFB7-4402-B738-5DBAD47EBC43.jpeg
0D6FE294-3CEA-4E52-8E81-3C26DB36DB3F.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, nice project!! What’s the weight on that?
Have you connected to the computer?
How were the bearings?
Did you do a compression test?
Thanks sir! Projected weight is 2500-2700 lbs for the project.
The Delta ECU can be controlled with SXTune software and I have used that to monitor the engine.
The bearings looked fine, no major wear.
A leak down test on Cylinder 1 showed 12% loss, but I haven't done the whole engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That’s gonna be fast!!
So, running a different ECU means you don’t have the regular access to errors and testing options?
Cause it sounds like it would throw misfire codes with something else associated.
It also sounded like a broken valve spring that’s why I asked if you checked compression.
Listening to videos is always difficult

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the Vanos settings for my ECU in the sxtune software and I was able to check the Vanos Position from 500-1500 RPM and Cam 1 and Cam2 Vanos were unresponsive. Tonight I will tear down the passenger side head and see what I can find!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved! The intake Vanos gear had been improperly assembled/installed by the previous owner.

I had to disassemble the intake gear, retension the internal spring and then reinstall. When the Vanos gear is not properly tensioned the vanos gear movement is severely limited.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before removing the Vanos gear from the camshaft you are supposed to loosen the bolts and rotate the plate until the bolt head hits the left side of the slot. The inlet side Vanos could not be rotated all the way, this was my first hint that there was a problem with this gear.

If there is interest I can post a video or re-assembling and tensioning the Vanos gear.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Before removing the Vanos gear from the camshaft you are supposed to loosen the bolts and rotate the plate until the bolt head hits the left side of the slot. The inlet side Vanos could not be rotated all the way, this was my first hint that there was a problem with this gear.

If there is interest I can post a video or re-assembling and tensioning the Vanos gear.

View attachment 942058
Is there a video coming out soon?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts