BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Supercharger

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Black M5 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

i own an 00/M5 and think about supercharging the beast for 400HP seems little. I surfed through the various threads and know that i shouldnt do it with RMS.
I have a very good engineer that told me he can do it with vortechV2.
The questions he/we has/have are following:
1. Can we take the boost on 0.6 bar (normal is 0.35) without picking on the engine? I dont want to play with the stock kompression and him opening the engine block.
2. Is the intercooler necessary? The water intercooler costs 1500EUR and the air intercooler (500EUR) is too big.
3. Is vortech ok? The alternative he mentioned is turbonetics T76 (huge turbo).
4. There is an instrument (pyrometer) that warns you if you should take it easier with the gas pedal. The mechaniker told me we could (theoretically) take the boost up to even 1.0 bar. The pyrometer would warn me about taking it easier if the engine had spontaneously hard times. Is this true?

He gave me a really good price for the whole package and he is really good. Though he doesnt know much about m5's for he lives in Greece and doesnt see many beasts.

I ask for advice from any of you knows better.
Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
since u are in germany, why dont you go with ASA? From what I know and heard are one of the better blowers out there. I know that Alpina started using asa for their kits.
here is their website, Im sure they can do the work for you too...
http://www.a-s-a.de/

#3 ·
Also try G-Power in Germany, but they are very expensive. I am trying to find someone to do an installation for me at reasonable cost in Europe, and it is proving difficult - sadly it's impractical for me to ship my car to Sean/Bill at Discovery........

Interested to hear what you find out......

#4 ·
FWIW I would be really cautious about having an independant shop do the install. Being that the S62 is a $20k USD engine, I would worry about any tuning issues (detonation, pinging etc) causing harm on a very expensive componet. If it was a Chevy 350ci engine, I would say go for it, but with something that expensive I would leave the work to someone who is very familiar, very competent, and has a long standing reputation. Too much money on the line.
Vortec from what I hear through my friends with american domestics are really strong units, and they get my vote. Intercoolers are highly recomended too, and if you cant afford the water to air unit I would save up a bit more cash. The more cautious the better when it comes to an engine that you want reliable power out of.
Best wishes making a FI beast!
:cheers:

#5 ·
alpap70 said:
Hello guys,

i own an 00/M5 and think about supercharging the beast for 400HP seems little. I surfed through the various threads and know that i shouldnt do it with RMS.
1. Can we take the boost on 0.6 bar (normal is 0.35) without picking on the engine? I dont want to play with the stock kompression and him opening the engine block.
2. Is the intercooler necessary? The water intercooler costs 1500EUR and the air intercooler (500EUR) is too big.
4. There is an instrument (pyrometer) that warns you if you should take it easier with the gas pedal. The mechaniker told me we could (theoretically) take the boost up to even 1.0 bar. The pyrometer would warn me about taking it easier if the engine had spontaneously hard times. Is this true?

He gave me a really good price for the whole package and he is really good. Though he doesnt know much about m5's for he lives in Greece and doesnt see many beasts.

Thanks in advance
I would not want to be the first M5 done unless they are going to cover whatever blows up!!! I am not anywhere close to an expert but .6 is roughly 9 psi of boost. I believe that is way too much with stock 11:1 compression. You need at least an intercooler and perhaps a mister or water injection to cool down the heat from compression.
Pyrometer is a tool, it will tell you the engine temp, which will be indicative of how rich/lean the mixture is. I don't think I would run a car and rely just on a pyrometer to let me know if my mixture is off. That is really just for fine tuning, not a baseline.
Good luck and let us know what you do.
Regards,
Jerry

G
#6 ·
alpap70 said:
Hello guys,

Thanks in advance
I would contact G-POWER in Germany, or you may want to speak with Hartge to see if they have something for you. Those would be your 2 best bets if you prefer not to ship you M5 to either the US or South Africa.

Cheers, Daniel.

#8 ·
You may also want to checkout ESS who have quite a few supercharger applications for BMW's, don't exactly have a package available for the M5, but do have one for the E39 540..

They also offer quite a good warranty package on their work: ESS Tuning

Kelleners may also be able to source a supercharger and custom build a project.

Hope this helps.

Tin

#9 ·
alpap70 said:
THis worries me... there are times to save money and times when saving money leads to disaster.

Good responses here- do your homework, but go with a mechanic who has the tools, equipment, electroncis and KNOWLEDGE to modify this engine

My 2 cents

A

#11 ·
I'd like to suggest you build the engine via the S-2 route and see if thats just not enough much less risky and proven to make people happy even if the numbers do fall short of promised. Sometimes peace of mind is a good thing. Or perhaps a different car all together?

#12 ·
Indeed. Dinan is going with Vortec and a 6 lbs pully system. Other than this though I have few details. I myself already have a vortec vs2 blower from a previous vehicle and I am in the process of trying to find a proper location and manufacturing a proper mounting bracket to make it work.

Cheers,
War

Jayson said:
I'd like to suggest you build the engine via the S-2 route and see if thats just not enough much less risky and proven to make people happy even if the numbers do fall short of promised. Sometimes peace of mind is a good thing. Or perhaps a different car all together?

#13 ·
Already posted them, thanks a lot. Though i prefer to avoid the work to be done in Germany because of the huge human costs. Let's see what the blower costs..

cali6869 said:
since u are in germany, why dont you go with ASA? From what I know and heard are one of the better blowers out there. I know that Alpina started using asa for their kits.
here is their website, Im sure they can do the work for you too...
http://www.a-s-a.de/

#14 ·
Have an offer from gpower, 56.000EUR (73.000US$) for 600HP. The guys are nuts. It aint worth it. I have a complete offer if you like i'd post it to you.

rogbacon said:
Also try G-Power in Germany, but they are very expensive. I am trying to find someone to do an installation for me at reasonable cost in Europe, and it is proving difficult - sadly it's impractical for me to ship my car to Sean/Bill at Discovery........

Interested to hear what you find out......

#15 ·
Guys thanks a lot for your responses. Generally:

The guy i found is really good, he does many dragster cars. Renault Clio 540HP, Peugeot Rally 420HP etc. He doesnt see many beast because there are no beast in Greece, such cars are too expensive in this country. Otherwise it is a paradise because they have cheap gasoline (comparine to rest Europe). He does many things on his own (manifolds etc) and the champion of dragster in Greece (which is my friend) is very happy to have found him.
It is correct to do the job to one who has done it in the past but the prices i found are crazy.
He does the whole thing (products and work complete) with 7.000-8.000EUR. 10.000 he told me the most because he is not sure what he is going to face.
Anyone wants info, would be happy to give some.

Thanks again, i'll let you know what happened.

#16 ·
At this price, and if it works properly, this guy could become very busy with European M5 owners!!

Frankly, I'd still be very careful - 3000bhp top fuel dragsters that require a rebuild every 6 seconds are different from an everyday car.....

See if you can buy some damage insurance before he starts work, as someone has said on this board M5 engines are $20k to replace.

Do please keep us posted though.

Roger

#17 ·
Change the diff?

Just a suggestion for an easy power increase to the rear wheels- change the rear differential to a higher ratio. It will take away from the top speed of the car- but how often are you driving over 155? Perhaps a more mild boost from the SC + higher diff gearing = desired results? The diff is a fairly easy modification.

#19 ·
It's a good point Gustav; I have now spoken to Birds here in the UK, perhaps the premier BMW tuning outfit in the country, and they will not take it on as a project. If Dinan do package their version as a kit in due course, I am sure that will change as they do work with Dinan, but that's the stance at the moment.

Rgds
Roger

#20 ·
Re: Change the diff?

I am also a little bit of worried but think this:
My car in Germany costs between 25 and 30 Th.EUR (32,5-39 Th.US$). If the engine cracks i could buy two cars like mine with the 56.000 EUR that g-power asks! And i would stake on the odd that the greeks are good and i have my 600HP :M5launch: with 7.000-8.000EUR. If you watch it this side, the risk is financially a good shot. The next better price i found (compared to Greece) is 27.000EUR from Nowack. He does no supercharging, reaches though "only" 520HP.
Do you know any prices from the states?

Gustav said:
I would be very causios with suoercharging the M5 from companies that have no track record with E39 M5. Dont risk it and dont risk YOUR car as a test mule.

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.