BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the cars I own is a 1997 540i, and I had it recently supercharged with a Powerdyne Centrifugal Belt Driven (making it very quiet) Supercharger and a Vortech Fuel Regulator allowing it to work with the stock injectors. (No I did not have it supercharged by Dinan.) I added the 3.15 sport gears and a tri-flo exhaust. The numbers are showing 430hp up from 282hp stock. Road and Track published a 5.9 second 0-60mph and 13.9 second 1/4 mile with a stock 540i, automatic transmission. This car is faster than the M5. Now the question I have is that once those 540i owners all become supercharged what are the M5 owners going to do? The company that I purchased the supercharger from is introducing a supercharger that will also involve some intake manifold modifications and a series of other things, so the next question is, who is going to supercharge their M5? I know I am especially when the company is talking about 575hp.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was speaking with the Dinan guys this week and they indicated they were working on a Supercharger for the M5.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Miles et al,

There are alot of tuners out there besides Dinan... the one BIG problem with ALL of them except for Dinan: IT VOIDS THE FACTORY WARRANTY!! Steve Dinan is the ONLY tuner who has BMW NA's blessing and therefore his mods are done at an authorized dealer without voiding the warranty.

I had a Dinan-supercharged M3 prior to purchasing the M5, and I can tell you that I would not personally trust anyone else, especially on a $75K+ car!! If I were to ever supercharge my M5?? it would have to be Dinan!

my 2 cents worth!

Andy M.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Andy-

Your comments regarding Dinan are right on track.

Don't forget to mention that it takes an additional $2K to maintain the warranty.

stevem

p.s. Bring on the M5 supercharger!!!!!

Originally posted by AndyMenard:
Miles et al,

There are alot of tuners out there besides Dinan... the one BIG problem with ALL of them except for Dinan: IT VOIDS THE FACTORY WARRANTY!! Steve Dinan is the ONLY tuner who has BMW NA's blessing and therefore his mods are done at an authorized dealer without voiding the warranty.

I had a Dinan-supercharged M3 prior to purchasing the M5, and I can tell you that I would not personally trust anyone else, especially on a $75K+ car!! If I were to ever supercharge my M5?? it would have to be Dinan!

my 2 cents worth!

Andy M.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I checked on the Dinan site for a possible supercharger for my dads 99 540i, $12,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It would be cheeper to upgrade to an M5 for that much. Thats insane!!! I cant even imagine how much he will charge for an M5 blower. One more thing.....you notice how just because our cars say BMW that ANY upgrade part costs several thousand more than parts for other cars? Example-A turbo kit for a Civic is around $3k, I havent seen any turbo for under $5k for BMW's. Mayeb bad example, what about headers? For a honda a good set is maybe $400. BMW? $1000+.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
At that price I would expect at least 175 horse...at LEAST...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I was not clear......I did not get my 540i supercharged by Dinan. I got it supercharged with a Powerdyne supercharger from a company in Norway.
They did not charge $12,995.00 plus $1600.00 installation through the dealer. My supercharger installed was $7100.00.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts