BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
1. How much boost are you running?

2. In your photo, there should be 4 nuts in the center of the lid. One side I can't see since it's blown off, but the other doesn't have any? Was this plenum modified?

3. Both of those plenum options are a waste of money. As Ferris said, you need your BOV at the plenum, close to the TB's. I've never blown one this way, even with plastic lids at 10psi.
We had a customer recently crack an aluminum plenum with BOV mounted on the plenum, but he is running nearly 15-20 psi. He is adding a second BOV on the plenum and having his original plenum re-welded and reinforced in some particularly weak places (around the perimeter in particular).

--Peter

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
We had a customer recently crack an aluminum plenum with BOV mounted on the plenum, but he is running nearly 15-20 psi. He is adding a second BOV on the plenum and having his original plenum re-welded and reinforced in some particularly weak places (around the perimeter in particular).

--Peter
At 15psi+, I do recommend adding a second BOV; but most people won't reach those levels. Regardless, having it downstream seems to be an issue.

Ditto, I also have a reinforcement method for the lid.
Biased, my friend. Biased. Like with most companies, there is good and there is not as good.

--Peter
Plenty of first hand experience that form my opinion, not bias. There's good, there's trash, and then there's RK.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

--Peter
I'm running stock 9 psi. Offtopic question, from your experience, how high can you go (in terms of boost) on v3si, stock internals, bosh green injectors (440cc)?

It looks like you do a lot of hard launches and your boost peaks above 9psi.

I’ve cracked my plastic one in the past as well.

As Shady mentioned, you need those 4 center mounting posts. Someone local tried what you did and the results were the same as yours.

You have few options,

Get an aluminum lid
Weld the bov adapter on the lower plenum, but you don’t have to at 9psi
Get a CF plenum, if cracks have it replaced under warranty
Get evolve
I totally forgot to post the solution to my problem! I got new aluminium lid, and welded BOV on the lower plenum as it's been suggested. The pedal feel is totally different now! It feels like i'm in a sport mode, even when i'm not. I really recommend doing this to anybody with SC setup!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I totally forgot to post the solution to my problem! I got new aluminium lid, and welded BOV on the lower plenum as it's been suggested. The pedal feel is totally different now! It feels like i'm in a sport mode, even when i'm not. I really recommend doing this to anybody with SC setup![/QUOTE]

Probably cause you have no boost leaks.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Now clean that engine bay up. That looks like a salvage title, 7 owner, 4 accident, Glendale craigslist, "$25k I know what I have" car
More like Sherman Oaks

·
Registered
692 Posts
Now clean that engine bay up. That looks like a salvage title, 7 owner, 4 accident, Glendale craigslist, "$25k I know what I have" car
hiha

I'm glad someone said it! That was the first thing I thought when seeing the original picture, but the latter one is even worse! Almost looks like you drive with your hood off in the winter as they are spraying the roads with salt.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I totally forgot to post the solution to my problem! I got new aluminium lid, and welded BOV on the lower plenum as it's been suggested. The pedal feel is totally different now! It feels like i'm in a sport mode, even when i'm not. I really recommend doing this to anybody with SC setup!
Probably cause you have no boost leaks.[/QUOTE]
It's definitely better then when i had BOV on intake pipe, even when plenum was intact.

hiha

I'm glad someone said it! That was the first thing I thought when seeing the original picture, but the latter one is even worse! Almost looks like you drive with your hood off in the winter as they are spraying the roads with salt.
I'm more of a substance over looks person :nerd

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have blown 2 aluminium lids and 2 CF plenum.

Running approx. 9 psi.

Solution was to add a spring loaded blowoff valve close-ish to the plenum.

After that no issues.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have blown 2 aluminium lids and 2 CF plenum.

Running approx. 9 psi.

Solution was to add a spring loaded blowoff valve close-ish to the plenum.

After that no issues.
Just move BOV to plenum - much better solution. On a side note, why do you still have MAF?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Just move BOV to plenum - much better solution. On a side note, why do you still have MAF?
No this has worked perfect for over 10 years.

Mafs are not used, running A-n.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
13 Participants
Blue Thunder
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing