BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are a lot of people with cold air intakes behind the front bumper, many of us have either fog deletes or ported covers. Does every one still drive in the rain with out issues? I have water resistant pre-filters but still nervous running in the rain. I have thought of making some type of panel to block some of mist/water spray or even a way to close off the port for rainy days. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
I know there are a lot of people with cold air intakes behind the front bumper, many of us have either fog deletes or ported covers. Does every one still drive in the rain with out issues? I have water resistant pre-filters but still nervous running in the rain. I have thought of making some type of panel to block some of mist/water spray or even a way to close off the port for rainy days. Any thoughts?
As long as you are not driving hard through puddles, I don't see how a little rain is going to cause a problem.

The height of the intake is where the foglights are, so you need a medium deep puddle to even be concerned. As long as you are not getting heavy throttle to suck in water, I wouldn't worry. Ease up on the throttle so you are running higher vacuum. Just be smart and no roaring through puddles that you can't tell how deep they are. A little mist that vaporizes can be a good thing (search: methanol):15:

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
i have the evolve intakes and have not had an issue if you search my thread on the intakes you will see thr air filters sit above the fog lights for the most part

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Been daily driving my RK S2 M5 for 15000 miles. It hardly ever doesn't rain up here. A little more often filter cleaning required (every oil change is what I do...) but no issues...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Not exactly the setup you have, but I've got an AA style kit and the water doesn't even get close to the intake boxes. Most of it just vaporizes I presume. And we have some heavy rains here in Seattle. As mentioned just stay away from puddles, but I defineltly see where you are coming from. It's always at the back of my mind on rainy days...

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Dinan's intake has water shields (that block the open fog light holes) that attach to heat shields (that block the hot air from the radiator from going into the fender well area). Socks are not necessary with that setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts