BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending countless hours searching the web on E39 forced induction and resigning myself to the fact that Europe or USA were the only places where I might find such a kit I stuck gold when Google found an Aussie company who have sucessfully developed an E39 M5 supercharger. :cheers:
After selling my (MIB's old 540 M Sport) I flew to Canberra to pick up my first M5 a 2001 Carbon black beast and proceeded to drive it back home via Sydney to visit Alastair Roberts of Bromspec Motor Works 02 99394980.

It was Friday afternoon I was on holidays and I was just getting used to my Beast and then I was given the grand tour of Bromspec Motor Works. There was eye candy everywhere :biggrin: and there it stood in quiet anticipation a carbon black 2000 M5 with some very ineresting plumbing under the bonnet.

I can honestly say that after spending only five minutes with Alastair one could see that he is truly passionate about his craft "making fast things even faster" :M5launch:
Alaistair works alone at Bromspec to ensure perfection and this shows in his workshops presentation and the end results.
I guess you are wondering how it goes :1: ? Well I like to think that I am not easily scared Shi_less but this car has a serious attitude problem :cool:
With around 430 Kw at the wheels with only 4 lb of boost it's an absolute animal reaching 0 to 100 Klms (60 Mph) in under 4 seconds which is severely limited by traction. The 1/4 mile dissapears into a blur in 11 seconds, again limited by traction.
Oh did I mention the note from under the hood :cool: The Vortech supercharger lets you and others close by, without being obtrusive that there is someting very special about this car. Everyday drivability is not sacrificed, only the rear tyres are when you take advantage of pressing down too firmly on the loud pedal. :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

Alastair has worked closely with Powerchip to develop the engine management software and along with a twin water to air intercooler installed in the stock plennum, Cold air intakes, custom exhaust with ceramic coated headers and a heavy duty custom clutch you can upgrade your M5 for around $ 25-30 k Aud including installation.

Now for us Aussies thats a fair cop for a lot of oomph but from what I've seen thats available from overseas in the way of supercharger kits, you lot in the good old USA and Europe could afford it in kit form with just a weeks lunch money ouich ouich its got to be a real no brainer.
And apart form drilling four holes in the plennum for the intercooler plumbing the car remains completely stock

For those of us on a budget who cannot afford to go out and buy an E60 Beast this has got to be the best way to turn your E39 Beast into a car that you will never get tired of. :cheers: and blow the doors off just about anything that wants to have a go :byebye:

Alaistair now has orders for four kits in the land of Oz but is looking to export his kit to the world. He is also working on a carbon fibre hood which incorporates vents adding to the cooling effect and a more aggresive appearance of this special M5 Beast.

Alastair is putting together some facts and history of the development of the kit which will be posted shortly but here a a few pictures of whats under the hood :cheers: :cheers: Cheers and enjoy.

Chunky :byebye: :1:

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
very interesting, how much in american dollars and is it available in kit form, also do you have more information available, are you considering having it done to your car? thanks for posting, sounds very promising, Josh

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
bmwusa said:
, are you considering having it done to your car?
Hey Josh,

No......He is considering having it done to my car. hiha

I setup Yoda's Clutch/Flywheel/and Pressure plate all for Supercharging.

Its was all built with 750 BHP in mind. So a 4lb Blower will be sweet.

The Sachs Race engineering Pressure plate I have, more than Doubles the clamping force.

Thats another reason to ditch the Dual mass. If you tried to increase the pressure on the dual mass, you would bend it.

My Flywheel was also engineered to tolerate 9,000 RPM (Not that it will ever see that), as well as drag racing. Its one piece solid steel.

The only thing I would be interested to see is the rear subframe.

Dinan were speaking of offering some sought of enhancement for it.

If that comes out, it would be advisable to have that done.

The guys Beast who has been done, is a board member, but he doesn't post very often.

$25K AUD is about $19,250 USD.

Hey Chunky,

You do realise you have sold emma to a Cigarette Smoking, Accountant?

I don't think Emma will ever forgive you. hiha J/K.

MJ

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Gustav said:
Wow, surprise and very imnpressive! Give us more pics please!
Hi Gustav,

Chunky has a lot more pics, he sent me a few, but he had got a new camera and was playing with it.

The Pics are 8 Megapixels. So they are huge.

Mark.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the post Chunky.
You have no idea how long I've been looking for something to make the beast (which rules the greater western Sydney motorway) into the undisputed Monster that we know it can be.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I love the rear badge, understated, but very scary :)

Hopefully Ill get to see/hear a s/c e39 in the UK at some point, all the more likely with more people offering these conversions :thumbsup:

Stu

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Nice pics and a very cool setup. Did you have to modify the hood in any way? I am sure if there was the possability of a number of units sold that the price might come down some. Higher product always helps in cost.

Keep us updated and please don't allow MIB to up the boost :eek: . Can you imagine him with 8 lbs. of boost on tap?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just love this supercharging craze! everytime I hear Robs Supercharger just whining out in the driveway its just intoxicating, I love the sound. If you decide to go this route keep us updated on the progress, I really like this sort of stuff. By the way has anyone heard from BBlock, has he got his car back yet, wonder how that is going, hopefully well, Josh

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
although it's not the prettiest supercharger kit out there, the price seems quite reasonable. I like the M5 badge with the supercharged under it.. hiha

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
MAH said:
Keep us updated and please don't allow MIB to up the boost :eek: . Can you imagine him with 8 lbs. of boost on tap?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
Hey MAH,

hiha If they build it, I will DRIVE it. :M5launch:

Gustav,

Chunky traded Emma for a C/B Beast. Whilst driving it back to my place, for a run with Yoda, he stopped in and went for a run in the S/C Beast also C/B.

He got a good deal on the trade, but the C/B wasn't cared for by an Enthusist. It was a smoking Accountant.

So he is bringing it back upto par, then selling it, and then plans to purchase Yoda, and have Yoda S/C like the other S/C C/B one.

Its only fair that since I let him drive Yoda Prior to S/C, that he returns the favour afterwards. hiha

The only problem I can see is that the Speedo only goes to 300 K/m Hr. Hmmm We may need some sought of digital device to do a Terminal Velocity run. ;)

MIJ

·
Registered
931 Posts
This SC effort is awesome. I can get with this and know (to some extent) what this would feel like. My 1996 993 with the SC added about 120 hp over stock. I just love the boost!!!!!!!!!!!! The Beast with 100+ hp would be the bomb.

Keep it coming.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey Guys, Nice to see a healthy amount of interest out there for forced induction. After meeting Alastair from Bromspec he advised me that he was planning to become a member of the board and so I have sent him a link to this post so he can answer your technical questions directly. I have simply offered to assist him with getting the word out there and assisting him in taking it to the next level from a marketing point with some free advice.
I'm sure that with some overseas interest he will tool up for production in quantity so why not get your local shop to contact alastair in view of becoming a Bromspec distributor.

Alternatively you can contact him by email [email protected] or visit his web page www.bromspecperformance.com.au or by phone in Australia 61 2 99394980.

Cheers

Chunky :wroom: :cheers:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Chunky,

You do realise you have sold emma to a Cigarette Smoking, Accountant?

I don't think Emma will ever forgive you. hiha J/K.

MJ[/QUOTE]

Hey who am I to judge the guy....if he wants to putter round hitting wheels against kerbs, opening doors into posts and smoking filthy cigarettes like theres no tomorrow and never washing the car.
The fact is that he should be shot for his apparant lack of care of his former(now mine M5) and how anybody could have such disrespect for such a truley beautiful piece of machinery is beyond me. :crying: :sad1:

I hope Emma doesnt have feelings and trust that the new level of care I am giving the M5 balances out the concentration camp experience that Emma is probably getting right now ouich .
However judging by the amount of cancer sticks this guy smokes in a day I guess he is not long for this world and Emma may see a deserving enthusiast owner in less time than you think !

Mark a local E46 M3 owner stopped me in the street yesterday to congratulate me on my aquisition and we discussed swapping cars for a couple of days :wroom: :wroom: so I guess I will and why not :1:
Anyway got 2 go catch Ya soon

Cheers

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
interesting indeed. And not pretty? Looks as good as any of the others.

Can we see the dyno? How long has this been on the car? Is this a v2 blower?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Jayson said:
interesting indeed. And not pretty? Looks as good as any of the others.

Can we see the dyno? How long has this been on the car? Is this a v2 blower?
Hey Jayson,

The car has been in existence for about 18 months in S/C form.

I'll let alastair answer the Tech/dyno/claims.

MJ

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Mark a local E46 M3 owner stopped me in the street yesterday to congratulate me on my aquisition and we discussed swapping cars for a couple of days :wroom: :wroom: so I guess I will and why not :1:
Anyway got 2 go catch Ya soon

Cheers

Hey Chunky,

Just warn him about the clutch first. Tell him not to try to do a burn out, because the only thing in Stock Beasts that burns is the clutch.

Once it engages then he can get on it.

MJ :M5launch:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Stu - speak to Roy at CA Automotive if you want a UK supercharger project done. I'm just going through a few warranty issues with him, to see how it stacks up against the other options. Twin Rotrex in this case.

Also the ESS LHD development car (see their website) will be finished in June, the RHD version will then be released. Single Vortech in this case. Speak to Linden Special Vehicles if you want more detail.

There's lots of activity in this area!!

Roger

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Love the trumpets, it must sound awesome ! A ny piccies of the actaul car ? I like the small supercharged decal :M5launch: :M5rev: :M5launch:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts