1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't mistake an 11 year old car that's barely been driven for "as new" condition. There are parts which perish over time, not km. And cars don't like to sit for long periods without being run.

Chances are it'll be in better condition than a higher mile car, but it's low mileage cars aren't the perfect unicorns people often assume they are.

·
Registered
10,108 Posts
I don't think people are using them as DDs when they buy them. My guess is they go to collections. Original everything is what collectors want.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I spoke to them about this car and they would probably take less$$$ if you had cash, but at the same time, any car hardly driven sounds like a gamble...as said earlier cars that sit are often not the best. I mean if it was 59 cadi convertible or something really vintage yea, but I can almost smell the paper of the large bill to deal with all the hoses, belts, weather stripping... etc and other things that degrade over time regardless of mileage. But if you have the bread, far out and buy it. I would plan on another several G's$ of maintenance...especially if the fluids were not removed during storage. The car does look awesome and super clean tho!
Just my opinion...
Z

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ahhh. But 19000 miles seems a lot for a car which is purchased as an investment? I'd have thought you'd want delivery mileage only, to maximise its rarity and value?

·
Registered
359 Posts
In an ideal world, this car would have made one 30 mile trip per week every week for the last 11+ years. In reality, it probably set for months at a time, maybe years. No doubt its in great shape, but as others have mentioned, some of the parts are probably not as in good of condition as they should be. Still a beauty.

·
Registered
816 Posts
They are only original once. The parts that would be worn are easily repaired. Interior, original paint and under carriage are not as easy to repair/return to original condition IMO. If I were in the market with that budget, I would buy a sub 20k car all day long.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I bought my 01 about 6 months ago with 22K on it. It now has 26K and I'm still working through the cobwebs. There seems to be a significant number of things on these cars that go bad with age, so I'd expect this one to be no different.

And LOL @ that price. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hopefully someone sorts it out and actually uses it as intended. These things are meant for autobahns and windy roads, not sitting in a museum like a damn painting.

·
Registered
10,108 Posts
Oh man, you have no idea. I wrote a post but........... collector does not equal museum' maybe that is why you don't own an M5. I don't want to hear it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Little over 2 years I purchased my 2003 M5 with then 28K miles. I paid mi twenties for my car which was in absolutely pristine condition. It looked like it came from the showroom. The gentleman selling it had many high end sports cars including Acura NSX, multiple Porsches, BMWS and alfas. He drove each of them occasionally but never in winter, rains etc as other daily cars also existed. So far I have not had any problems with mine due to the low mileage. I do drive mine more than he did but it is not a daily driver for sure. I am dealing now with sunroof issue but that should have nothing to do with low mileage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts