BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd drop this here for you guys to take a look at. I've been working with the guys over at Li Customs on a prototype for the e39 sunshade arm end piece that has a tendency to break just like the tabs do.

First prototype is done and fits, here are a couple of pics of the piece installed. I'll post more once everything is installed and my sunshade is working again.

I'm sure he'll have these new pieces on his website for sale soon...

Li Customs- Sunshade Tabs- Radiator Brackets

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
It would be great if the company could make some forever-lasting sunroof rail kits. The original design (cough cough cough s**t), is embarrassing. (photo stolen from bimmerforums)

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be great if the company could make some forever-lasting sunroof rail kits. The original design (cough cough cough s**t), is embarrassing. (photo stolen from bimmerforums)
Can you get a good picture of a non-broken piece?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Can you get a good picture of a non-broken piece?
I took this from another site, but these plastic bits just don't last.

There is also a shot of where they break.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Can't like this enough times. I'm on my way to doing this for the third time now... found a vendor on eBay that just sells the feet, but they're still the plastic version that will break again in a few years.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
If I had to guess, the two large bent arms look like they may act as a spring, keeping the mechanism under tension at the end of its travel. This is a guess though. I've never actually looked at mine, but that is what I get from the pictures and the design. If that is true, you might be able to make the back half out of aluminum and then put in a bumper of some "firm" rubber or poly.

Or I could be full of it:grin

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm not sure what those are, but they rarely break. Maybe if not a complete fabrication of the piece, maybe a reinforcement piece, where it's most fragile would help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts