BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just another random question... but what's your perspective on Steel Sunroof vs. Glass Sunroof.

I personally like the glass sunroof because I believe it is one of the most important feature in a car... by FAR!

- matt -

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes of course, and it's nice to see the sky through the glass. For 200 USD more than the steel (approx), it's a clear choice. You can close the inner door and then you've it as steel roof.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
No Sunroof = Less weight, no squeaks and cheaper!!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It's another one of those tradeoffs we make to have a nice daily-driver.

You want the glass roof, you want the stereo, you want all the sound insulation, all the weight adds up.

In terms of weight - glass is DEFINITELY heavier than steel.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I like the glass, but I must admit IO leave the inner door closed almost all the time. There is so much pounding when driving with the roof open at any speed above about 30MPH, the slide-back option is worthless. I tilt mine up while parked to help ventilate the car.

My wife's Audi A6 has a feature I WISH our cars had - the entire sunroof is covered with solar cells. Any time there is enough sun, they run a circulation fan. Right now we're up in the mountains - very hot, direct sun all day. Side shades, rear shades up, and this fan keep the car amazingly cool while it is sitting there. (And it has black interior.) My M5 would bake.

A great feature. Are you listening, BMW?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Originally posted by greg:

My wife's Audi A6 has a feature I WISH our cars had - the entire sunroof is covered with solar cells. Any time there is enough sun, they run a circulation fan. Right now we're up in the mountains - very hot, direct sun all day. Side shades, rear shades up, and this fan keep the car amazingly cool while it is sitting there. (And it has black interior.) My M5 would bake.

A great feature. Are you listening, BMW?
Try using the Timer function on the computer. If you know roughly what time you will be coming back to the car, you just set the timer and it runs the fan for a few minutes.

Pretty much useless when parked in the hot sun if you come back an hour or two after you set the timer.

Vapour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts