BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any way to change out our sunroofs to a solid-non glass one? The glass and noisy unless I keep the slide cover closed. I would rather just have a solid roof to be honest. Any ideas on this would be good. I know on the protection series bimmers. If you get a sunroof they use the solid metal ones.

·
Banned
117 Posts
My sister's 528i has a solid metal roof. I would be willing to switch fro your glass. I have seen DIY on this before. Pm if your interested.

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Any way to change out our sunroofs to a solid-non glass one? The glass and noisy unless I keep the slide cover closed. I would rather just have a solid roof to be honest. Any ideas on this would be good. I know on the protection series bimmers. If you get a sunroof they use the solid metal ones.
I would think interchangeble with any E39, but check the parts bin carefully and perhaps contact people who might do that type of work to make sure parts are interchangeable. I would think a high end body shop could figure ti out for you. If not done correctly, I suspect it would be noisy and wet!!

My glass roof is quiet as a church mouse after a sermon, so perhaps you have other issues also.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The protection series is fully bullet proofed. Glass is bullet proof thoughout. The front window can actually be kicked out incase you need to get out of the car. Armaraid is in all panel, runflats standard etc. But if you get a sunroof they use a steel-bullet proof one rather than glass.
whats a protection series?

·
Registered
543 Posts
There is a guy on Ebay who make CF replacements for different BMW's. He charges about $250 per. Not sure he has done one for an E39, but I am sure he would be willing to do it. I am getting one for my E46 and then just gonna paint to match, along with putting the standard headliner in.

I think you search "carbon sunroof"

Kirk

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just ordered one of the carbon roof from that guy for my E36 track car. A friend of mine already has his installed. If you think the glass is noisy, these things are so paper thin you can see through them and therefor noisy as HECK!

·
Registered
868 Posts
The sunroof cartridge in the E36 M3 weighs just under 40lbs, the CF/Fiberglass piece is around 4 lbs I think. Ill weigh it when it comes in. The bigger picture is the location of the weigh, the highest point in the car, above center of gravity.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Like I mentioned before, a buddy of mine has this installed in his E46 M3. He bought it from this fellow. THAT SAID
I received a tracking number from the guy and it didn't work, emailed him and he said it went out and should work. I juts tried again and it's not a good number. The guy has good feedback and a high rating, plus I knwo someone who has bought from him so I assume the best at this point. I will let you guys know if I have a problem. I paid with Paypal

·
Banned
117 Posts
I was wondering on the panel itself. I would not want to lose my sunroof just weight save on the panel itself. This is 40lb savings if you get rid of the motors, track etc...
Does any one make a panel that will still function as a sunroof?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Oh, no I removed the entire packge! It's a race car!
On that note, I was amazed that the actual painted metal panel was about 40% of the weight of the assembly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts