BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
briefly, my problems are:
1. sunroof is sagging and/or doesn't seem to completely seal (see photo).
2. sunroof won't tilt and the motor doesn't even make a sound when the button is pressed (see video).
3. sunroof won't retract though you hear the motor working for a second (see video).
4. shade/cover refuses to close completely, leaving a three-to-four inch gap.

i've searched and read up about what parts break and what needs to be replaced, but the thread i've found only address the tilt issue. what would i need to fix the all of the issues i've listed? TIA!

media:

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
unfortunatley unless you have some experience fixing and re-timing these roofs your best option is get a used complete sunroof casette. something is most likley broken in the mechanism, lots of little parts that are a pita to fix. what happens if you manually turn the motor with a hex bit, will it close correctly?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, really? i thought it'd be as easy as replacing whichever plastic parts were broken and calling it a day. do the entire cassettes come up on ebay/for sale often? i haven't tried turning the/a hex bolt to attempt to close/seal it competely, where would i find said bolt?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
wow, really? i thought it'd be as easy as replacing whichever plastic parts were broken and calling it a day. do the entire cassettes come up on ebay/for sale often? i haven't tried turning the/a hex bolt to attempt to close/seal it competely, where would i find said bolt?
I believe it's behind the square panel in front of the sunroof that houses the sunroof and Homelink buttons. You should have the "key" to work the mechanism in the trunk-mounted tool kit.

Reactions: phan

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AWESOME, thanks! going to try this later and will report back.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
unfortunately there are not many "easy" repairs on these roofs. replacing internal parts requires almost complete dissasembly of the cassette.

out of curiosity did you try to re-initialize the sunroof? press and hold the button up(as if to vent) until the roof starts to move, it may take 20-30 sec before it starts. it will start a routine and go through all the positions(open/closed/vent), keep the button pressed until it finishes.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just tried, it sounded like it was going to start doing something (loud noise, trying to move) but it gave up immediately after as nothing happened. it definitely sounds like something is loose and/or broken.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
revisiting this...no dice. i'm guessing finding a used cassette/assembly is my only choice? would my best bet be looking on ebay and praying? spring and summer are coming, i'd like to have it functioning soon...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You live in California. There has got to be a million places that specialize in repairing sunroofs and installing new sunroofs into cars that didn't have them. I live in northern VA and there is one here so I KNOW you have one there. Call one of them. You will probably have to pay for a $40 part and a couple of hours for labor. And they might be able to tell you exactly what's broken just by showing it to them. You're not the first E39 owner to have a broken sunroof.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts