BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked my car up this wknd and even during the test drive I noticed too much wind noise from the sunroof when visor is open. Is it common for the seal to wear. I have an 06 70000kms. I will be taking it back to the dealer to correct the issue but wanted to know if this is common

thank you

·
Registered
406 Posts
Absolutely. I have replaced mine twice, and the one on my previous E60. New seal makes a big difference if it is done correctly. There is still a faint whistle with the shade open, but it is not annoying. Its not that pricey to replace.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I had mine covered under a service bulletin.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had mine covered under a service bulletin.
Any info on this? Is it a big enough issue that they extended the coverage past initial factory warranty?

My wind noise is terrible, would love to get this fixed if I can.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Any info on this? Is it a big enough issue that they extended the coverage past initial factory warranty?

My wind noise is terrible, would love to get this fixed if I can.
Mdyaman has you covered. That's the one. :cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice! thanks for the great info guys...my newly purchased e60 has terrible wind noise...i guess the service bulletin should cover it. I'll have my SA look into it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
use the search feature! and/or google! :typing:

SI B54 04 09 "Special Roofs March 2010 Technical Service" with a subject of Wind Noise or Water Leak from Sunroof. It covers a variety of vehicles including E60s produced up to 11/2008

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/194243-air-noise-moon-roof-08-m5.html

PDF document attached.
Thanks there buddy :cheers:

I only asked because the dealer told me they would not replace it. I searched for sunroof, guess that's why this thread didn't come up :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hey guys,

Just replaced mine the other day. Cost was $29 at my local dealer for the part, and it is an easy DIY. If you aren't sure how to do it, I found a thread over at Bimmerfest, seen here: E60 Sunroof Seal Replacement DIY - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Also, the service bulletin says the car must be RECODED after a seal change. That is not exactly necessary. This is because when closing (going from position tilt-up to tilt-down), the anti trap mechanism is triggered with new revision seal. You DO NOT need a computer to do this. Rather, just perform the in-car sunroof re-learn procedure, also shown at the end of that thread, and seen here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z9AAks_lBlc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hope this helps! Best $29 ever, car is pin quiet now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts